PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about tying quick strike rigs

Geezle
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Wayne, I'm sure you can help me out on this one :)

First off, I've never fished with a quick strike. Heck...Wednesday was my first time out ice fishing for pike in probably close to a decade (ugh...that decade word makes me feel old :o)

On that outing all I did for rigging my bait was to push the shank of a treble up through the bottom of my bait and then hook it to my leader. Simple enough.

Then I wanted to use a bigger bait...something that absolutely required two hooks. The only thing I could come up with on the spot was to use 2 leaders clipped onto a snap swivel with a treble on each. I had a smaller (#2) hook that I pushed up through the skinnier tail section, and then a bigger one that I hooked into the side of the bait. Only had one hit (that I missed on the tip-up) on that one, so i can't really say that it worked all that well.

So, on to the questions. I read an article on the In-Fisherman site that gave me the general idea, and it seems pretty straightforward for the most part. Basically a hook on the end, with a second hook that slides...correct?

For those of you who tie your own, do you have a preference for steel leader material vs. fluoro leader material? Is it best to actually tie the rigs, or are crimping sleeves the way to go? I've never tied the steel leader, so I'm not sure what's actually involved in tying it...I've only ever used the crimp sleeves, though I'm not a huge fan of them. Never tied anything with the fluoro leader material so I don't know how to work with this stuff either.

Also, I saw in the article a hook with two points...one shorter one for hooking into the bait, and then a longer one that stands out from the bait. Looks like a good idea in theory, but has anybody here actually used them? Or even seen them in the store for that matter?

And my final question (for now) involves dressing the rig. Do any of you use beads/spinner blades or anything else on the rig for a little extra flash?

Thanks guys...I appreciate any info you can share :)

Gust
12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I only started using spinners/flashers with bait this year and seem to be doing much better. But I still like to jig a lure at one hole near my bait hole.

And I have a hook that I found in B.C, where the shank is long and bends at the eye, which allows the bait to hang horizontal like a fish from the middle but has the hook at either end of the bait.

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Never tried those style, but I know the big guy up there makes that kind. I have been making mine from 60 lb flouro with crimp sleeves, 2 equal lengths, treble on the end and attach the other ends to a heavy duty split ring. one hook in the head, the other in the side of the tail, hangs even in the water and the bait flashes brightly when you jig it a bit. When the pike start taking the bait in the middle I will make some with three trebles, and put one in the center of the back too. Flame away treble haters! :argue2: but with this rig the fish doesnt get a chance to get the hooks in deep because wherever they grab the bait theres a hook. And they are usually very easy to unhook since the hooks are near the edge of the mouth. I dont like tip-ups, I use a second rod for the other hole. Got tired of running for flags and hearing the fish laughing as they swim away. :bad_boys_20: with the rod you can leave 2 or 3 feet of slack and have the bail closed, so they get a bit of a running start and then hook themselves. No drag on a tipup so the fish can go as far as they like and have lots of time to take the hook in too deep. Besides, I am not a big fan of handlining a fish that could tow a small truck! I like having 10 fingers! :scared0018:

Geezle
12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Never tried those style, but I know the big guy up there makes that kind. I have been making mine from 60 lb flouro with crimp sleeves, 2 equal lengths, treble on the end and attach the other ends to a heavy duty split ring. one hook in the head, the other in the side of the tail, hangs even in the water and the bait flashes brightly when you jig it a bit. When the pike start taking the bait in the middle I will make some with three trebles, and put one in the center of the back too. Flame away treble haters! :argue2: but with this rig the fish doesnt get a chance to get the hooks in deep because wherever they grab the bait theres a hook. And they are usually very easy to unhook since the hooks are near the edge of the mouth. I dont like tip-ups, I use a second rod for the other hole. Got tired of running for flags and hearing the fish laughing as they swim away. :bad_boys_20: with the rod you can leave 2 or 3 feet of slack and have the bail closed, so they get a bit of a running start and then hook themselves. No drag on a tipup so the fish can go as far as they like and have lots of time to take the hook in too deep. Besides, I am not a big fan of handlining a fish that could tow a small truck! I like having 10 fingers! :scared0018:

Okay, so it sounds like you're pretty much doing what I did with my 2 leaders, only a little fancier :)

Maybe if it ain't broke I shouldn't try to fix it?

steve
12-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I make them with tig wire.

With a pair of needlenose you can make a rig in less then a minute.

chubbdarter
12-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Okay, so it sounds like you're pretty much doing what I did with my 2 leaders, only a little fancier :)

Maybe if it ain't broke I shouldn't try to fix it?

ive tryed many different ways of doing quick strike rigs even have a friend from UK send me the specialized hooks but in the end ive come up with a simple and effective design.
1. i use a single strand wire 27lb non coated wire
2 i use Owner broadhead point trebles
3 i use various colored beads
a- first gently bend the Owner hook eyelet to about 45 degrees offset
b- hay wire twist a qaulity snap and attach non modified hook. i like the snap to be removeable at times i remove the hook to attach various power baits thru the shank
c- slide down beads on to wire right on top of your twist. add as many as you desire to separate the hooks. orange and chart. have been my best colors for big pike
d- slide on the treble with the bent eyelet.
e- knock down barbs before using...........Done
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/001-18.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/002-19.jpg

WayneChristie
12-19-2010, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=chubbdarter;769762]ive tryed many different ways of doing quick strike rigs even have a friend from UK send me the specialized hooks but in the end ive come up with a simple and effective design.
b- hay wire twist a qaulity snap and attach non modified hook. i like the snap to be removeable at times i remove the hook to attach various power baits thru the shank
c- slide down beads on to wire right on top of your twist. add as many as you desire to separate the hooks. orange and chart. have been my best colors for big pike

Im not sure how you hang the bait level with this type of rig, but then some days pike could care less. Other times they are pretty picky and want a lifelike presentation. I use the flouro so they cant see anything but the bait, but I do use red hooks, look a bit like the bait has a bloodtrail.

chubbdarter
12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=chubbdarter;769762]ive tryed many different ways of doing quick strike rigs even have a friend from UK send me the specialized hooks but in the end ive come up with a simple and effective design.

Im not sure how you hang the bait level with this type of rig, but then some days pike could care less. Other times they are pretty picky and want a lifelike presentation. I use the flouro so they cant see anything but the bait, but I do use red hooks, look a bit like the bait has a bloodtrail.

heres my theory.
predators rarely stalk when the prey is in the alert position. a cougar stops sneaking up when the deer has its head up. i like my bait in the feeding position. i grew on a farm with many large irrigation ponds. one winter i made a underwater observation room on the shore to watch fish thru the glass. baitfish nose down feeding is a life like presentation. my sucess has greatly improved with this presentation over the swim position of my bait. we target only big pike and its caught us over 40 pike over 25lbs. i havent found a red hook that even comes close to the broadhead owner. thats the beauty of fishing we all do it our own way......good luck

Cal
12-19-2010, 10:24 PM

I do pretty much the same thing as you but I use old guitar strings, the B string does OK but nothing beats a nice skinny G string...

beetlebailey
12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Lets say you catch a 23# pike on one of these 2 or 3 treble hook setups, not a single walleye jigging hook. Do you still stick most of your arm down the hole to retrieve the fish?

npauls
12-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey Wayne,

Alot of guys I have talked to like their big baits for pike to be laying right on the bottom as if it dead or dying. I have seen some pretty big gators pulled out this way. Also the other style of having your bait with its tail sticking up and the head on the bottom seems to work pretty well.

Big gators are always looking for an easy meal. Nothing easier then swimming up and eating a bait. Alot easier then chasing something around.

You think someone who eats fast food all the time wants to chase it around to eat it or just walk up and order with no work at all to get the meal. Same goes for the big gators.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 07:27 AM
BB yes, thanks for the useful info. Nate I usually lay my bait on the bottom too, just jig it now and then to give off the flash so the pike can see it. Do most of my pike fishing shallow enough to watch their reaction, sometimes they take it on the bottom, sometimes they just stare at it until it moves. Ive caught a lot while its horizontal as well, depends on the fish. Thats why I like sightfishing you can change your presentation if they dont like what they see. I do like the idea behind the feeding position and Im going to add that to my methods too, thank you for teaching me something new! You can never know too much about fishing.

Geezle
12-20-2010, 07:31 AM
nothing beats a nice skinny G string...

True story! :evilgrin:

chubbdarter
12-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Lets say you catch a 23# pike on one of these 2 or 3 treble hook setups, not a single walleye jigging hook. Do you still stick most of your arm down the hole to retrieve the fish?

drill a slide out.....only takes 5 extra seconds with the lazer

iliketrout
12-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Would you have to put a weight in front of the front hook to get the nose of the fish down? I don't know why but I am imagining that the bait would be nose up, not nose down...

chubbdarter
12-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Would you have to put a weight in front of the front hook to get the nose of the fish down? I don't know why but I am imagining that the bait would be nose up, not nose down...

No weight required...end hook is lightly hooked into mandable of herring/mackeral second hook between dorsal and tail lightly skin hooked. will hang about 45degrees or more head down

iliketrout
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
gotcha, makes sense, thanks for the tips.

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
drill a slide out.....only takes 5 extra seconds with the lazer
hmmm explain slide out? I do double holes, so its easy to get their head up when they are done running. that what you mean?

chubbdarter
12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
hmmm explain slide out? I do double holes, so its easy to get their head up when they are done running. that what you mean?

drill overlapping holes from the actual hole your fishing from. usually 3 0r 4. first one deepest. the trench will fill with water. the pike will usually swim right out to a position you can grab it. simple work and effective

p.s all the holes fill with water from the original hole but none of 3-4 slide out holes are completely thru the ice

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
drill overlapping holes from the actual hole your fishing from. usually 3 0r 4. first one deepest. the trench will fill with water. the pike will usually swim right out to a position you can grab it. simple work and effective

p.s all the holes fill with water from the original hole but none of 3-4 slide out holes are completely thru the ice

sounds interesting for sure, I just overlap 2 holes and so far havent had any problems getting them out. might try doing one more 3/4 of the way through just to give it a try. thanks for the info

chubbdarter
12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
sounds interesting for sure, I just overlap 2 holes and so far havent had any problems getting them out. might try doing one more 3/4 of the way through just to give it a try. thanks for the info

yup once the big girl lays her head in the slide out they usually swim right out. and with water floating her there is way less strain on the tackle to pull her.

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM
now Ive learned 2 new things from this thread, no wonder my head hurts!!!:sign0068::sHa_sarcasticlol:

iliketrout
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
^^^^
x2 that is a really good idea to land a large fish on the ice. Hopefully I get to try one day!!!

chubbdarter
12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
the other benifit on really cold days. it allows the fish to stay wet while with normark water proof gloves you remove the hooks and shoot her back down the hole. freeze burn on their eyes and fins can be prevented this way.....if its that cold we dont even lift them to take pictures. big mamas are to precious to the lake

pelada trochu
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Chub... Makes alot of sense to me. preventing a breakoff and also keeping the fish in a nice pond is a good idea. you also dont have a hole big enough for your kid to fall through either.

I will seek out some big flouro and some trebles. That puny little rapala rod i just bought isnt going to hold much heavy flouro. what do you normally spool on your reels, what size reel and rod????

the 15 pounders will try and run a spool but ive found the big girls come in much more lazy. would you agree?

thanks for the tips.

Geezle
12-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Chub... Makes alot of sense to me. preventing a breakoff and also keeping the fish in a nice pond is a good idea. you also dont have a hole big enough for your kid to fall through either.

I will seek out some big flouro and some trebles. That puny little rapala rod i just bought isnt going to hold much heavy flouro. what do you normally spool on your reels, what size reel and rod????

the 15 pounders will try and run a spool but ive found the big girls come in much more lazy. would you agree?

thanks for the tips.
IMO for pike, don't spool your reel with fluorocarbon, use a heavy braid so you can get more on your spool, and then just use a heavy fluoro leader. I think most of us that use it are using Trilene Big Game fluorocarbon leader material.

Guitarplayingfish
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Heres the style I use. REALLY easy to make, takes like 2 minutes per once you get the hang of it.

vital shok
12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Do u use some sort of wire crimpers to make these rigs if so were do u get the crimpers and fittings to build these

WayneChristie
12-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Heres the style I use. REALLY easy to make, takes like 2 minutes per once you get the hang of it.

pretty much what I make, only I use a swivel on the loop so I can clip on my leader, and I make the 2 lines longer so the sleeve isnt right in their face when they are checking it out. I use the trilene big game fluoro for my leaders, and so far have been very impressed with it.

WayneChristie
12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Do u use some sort of wire crimpers to make these rigs if so were do u get the crimpers and fittings to build these

any of the bigger sporting good stores have the gear, if its in stock. you can buy a cheap crimper or I have been using vicegrips to crimp mine since my crimper is lost in my gear somewhere. just make sure your flouro is side by side in the sleeve so you dont squish one side of the fluoro. you can also make them using the perfection knot, but make sure you seal the knot with superglue, I used one like that for quite a while last winter, then it came undone and I lost a nice fish.

Guitarplayingfish
12-06-2011, 06:52 PM
pretty much what I make, only I use a swivel on the loop so I can clip on my leader, and I make the 2 lines longer so the sleeve isnt right in their face when they are checking it out. I use the trilene big game fluoro for my leaders, and so far have been very impressed with it.

x2, I use the swivel as well. It's nice because you can make sizes for whatever bait you want to use. I got all my gear at Wholesale Sports.. Crimpers were like 10-15$ I think, everything is fairly cheap and the process is easy to do. Good luck!

Wolverine Boy
12-06-2011, 09:53 PM

Wow......I've been fishing for pike with these rigs for years and never seen this. I will definitely be trying this. Thx.

anthony5
12-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Best and cheapest way to make these rigs is to use 7 strand wire or 30lb or larger coated leader material(Berkley). Use connector sleeves to attach swivels or snaps. Crimpers are not that expensive depending on how much you are doing. If using the single hook method through the middle of your bait use the most expensive treble and largest according to size targeted you can afford and don't go less than 30lb leader. If using the quick strike rig build according to size of bait being used,ie 6" or 12" but use nothing less than 30 lb. always use heavy braid for the big ones , you won't need as much tape or bandaids:sign0176: You may get different opinions but 99.99% of the time pike will hit your bait from the side once they decide it is edible, using either method hit them hard once they've taken the bait. Taken between 17 and 28 lbers using both methods. Never lost one because of tackel just not paying attention:angry3:

WayneChristie
12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Best and cheapest way to make these rigs is to use 7 strand wire or 30lb or larger coated leader material(Berkley). Use connector sleeves to attach swivels or snaps. Crimpers are not that expensive depending on how much you are doing. If using the single hook method through the middle of your bait use the most expensive treble and largest according to size targeted you can afford and don't go less than 30lb leader. If using the quick strike rig build according to size of bait being used,ie 6" or 12" but use nothing less than 30 lb. always use heavy braid for the big ones , you won't need as much tape or bandaids:sign0176: You may get different opinions but 99.99% of the time pike will hit your bait from the side once they decide it is edible, using either method hit them hard once they've taken the bait. Taken between 17 and 28 lbers using both methods. Never lost one because of tackel just not paying attention:angry3:

I used the coated wire for leaders and rigs, always had until last year when I tried the heavy fluoro. After a few pike I found the wire kinks, 99% of the time. I used only a couple fluoro leaders for almost all of last winter, only because I lost the first one somewhere, and you can coil them up in your pocket, catch dozens of fish, and they straighten back out no problem when you fish with them. Wire leaders are only good for a few fish until they are all kinked and curly. Dont cheap out on snaps when building leaders or rigs, the cheap ones you get with comemrcial leaders always seem to open up at the wrong time,(in the fishes mouth) spend a little more and get quality snaps and swivels, you will lose less big fish.