PDA

View Full Version : Butane heaters

LacLaBicheNS
12-19-2010, 06:12 PM
So I went to buy a Mr buddy heater yesterday.. When I went to the store the sales guy asked if I needed a hand.. I knew I wanted propane heater (Mr Buddy). He showed me the Mr Buddy and there was another heater on the shelf. THe other heater was a butane heater. THe butane was almost half the price of the Mr buddy and it said it puts out 7000BTU.. so I asked if the sales guy if the butane heater would do. I told him I was aksing him because I've never used a buttane for ice fishing.. He told me it would work just fine for my 6x6 tent..

Took it on the ice today.. I'm very glad I drove on the ice and had 2 butane cylinders. While one cylinder was in the tent the 2nd cylinder was on the dash of my truck with the truck heater turned on. Every 20 mins I had to take the cylinder out of the tent heater because it was too cold to use and swap it with the cylinder that was heating in my truck... I did this all day.

I also used almost two 4$ butane cylinders in the 6 hours I was on the ice.

So I am taking the butane heater back tomrrow and getting the Mr Buddy.

Has anyone else used butane heaters in the winter? Did the sales guy have no clue what he was talking about? :angry3:

handicap
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM
So I went to buy a Mr buddy heater yesterday.. When I went to the store the sales guy asked if I needed a hand.. I knew I wanted propane heater (Mr Buddy). He showed me the Mr Buddy and there was another heater on the shelf. THe other heater was a butane heater. THe butane was almost half the price of the Mr buddy and it said it puts out 7000BTU.. so I asked if the sales guy if the butane heater would do. I told him I was aksing him because I've never used a buttane for ice fishing.. He told me it would work just fine for my 6x6 tent..

Took it on the ice today.. I'm very glad I drove on the ice and had 2 butane cylinders. While one cylinder was in the tent the 2nd cylinder was on the dash of my truck with the truck heater turned on. Every 20 mins I had to take the cylinder out of the tent heater because it was too cold to use and swap it with the cylinder that was heating in my truck... I did this all day.

I also used almost two 4$ butane cylinders in the 6 hours I was on the ice.

So I am taking the butane heater back tomrrow and getting the Mr Buddy.

Has anyone else used butane heaters in the winter? Did the sales guy have no clue what he was talking about? :angry3:

Ya you should be using the propane or the kerosene heaters they are far more efficient...They have the Mr Buddy on sale at the fishing hole for $99. regular $139 it puts out 5000-9000 BTU's which is perfect for my tent and its 12'x7' I hook it up to a 20lb bottle and leave it on the outside of the tent, its a good investment for those cold windy days..

LacLaBicheNS
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Ya I've always used propane.. SHould have went with what I know works... Oh well, I'll return it tomorrow for a Mr Buddy.

perchfinder
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
propane is the way to go. how was fishing anyway?

Big Red 250
12-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I TRIED USING ONE IN MY HUNTING BLIND A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. Soon as the weather turned cold it wouldn't light. Sales guy likely didn't know.

Rick.
12-19-2010, 09:00 PM
It's all about the boiling point temp. Butane is much higher than propane therefore it won't turn to gas (vapor) in cold conditions. I used to know the numbers but can't remember anymore. (i think propane is -44F and butane is like 32F) That's why you have to warm your Bic in your hand if it's been sitting out of your pocket on a cold day. Butane is good for warm temps. and I'm really surprised they even make a butane heater. Take it back and tell the salesman not to sell them to ice fishers. Rick.

lifesaflyin
12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
fishin hole has a 50 dollar 9-15000k sunflower. works great, no batteries and warms up my frabill headquarters quite well. that sucker gets hot and will run for 48 hours straight on the meduim setting cant wait to try it out in my ice cube i bet i could lay around in my undies with that in there...

glen1971
12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
In order to separate each gas out of an NGL stream (processed gas) a change in temperature is one way. If you drop the temperature, you can easily separate them out (Propane, Butane, Methane, and Ethane).. Each substance will ignite as a gas more readily, than as a liquid.. So....

Butane -Is a liquid at -0.5° Celsius (31.1 degrees Fahrenheit). Above this temperature, the liquid butane will boil, becoming a gas. On a cold winter's day, when the temperature is a few degrees or more below freezing, a can of butane (or a butane lighter) won't work very well, since the contents will remain a liquid, and won't have enough pressure to leave the container.

Propane - Propane is a liquid below -44 degrees F or if its compressed.

Based on that, Propane is better for a "cold weather" heater fuel than Butane..

LacLaBicheNS
12-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Perchfinder- fishing was good. I got about 30 perch and the guy I was with got 4 or 5. It was his first time fishing for perch and he doesn't fish much so he had a hard time determining when a perch was biting. TO his credit, the perch were just nimbling... but if you could tell when you were getting a nibble you did ok. Kept 10. Got a medium sized pike aswell.. decent fight on 6lbs mono.

THanks for the info about butane. Like I said, I'm taking it back tomrrow. I wouldn't even use this heater they sold me to warm my hands inside a hockey rink... It wouldn't cut it....