PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the ice

huntin
12-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Was out fishing this morning went to shovel the snow when my boot went through then ice. I steped back thinking i steped into a old hole so i stuck my shovle in to clean it out eneds up to be 4 foot by 2 foot patch of thin ICE :scared0018: all around it is at least 10inches Would this be caused by a spring and if so i have fished this area of the lake for 3 years now even had my truck right there but never again. The fishing was awesome I caught 4 rainbows the smallest was 16inches the biggest was 20

mudbug
12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Glad to hear you didn't fall in. The snow we have now is going to make it take longer for the ice to thicken up more. Where abouts did this happen?

huntin
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
north of peace river

ORV
12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
could it have been an old hole someone sawed out?

Big Red 250
12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Too bad about the thin ice, but fishing was sure good for you. 20inch rainbow isn't nothing to sneeze at.

Fishhunter
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
It could be a muskrat hole was there any clumps of dirt or mossy type stuff around the hole anywhere if so that may be what it is ,they will keep them open for awile i don't really know why.

hughes
12-20-2010, 04:52 PM
It could be a muskrat hole was there any clumps of dirt or mossy type stuff around the hole anywhere if so that may be what it is ,they will keep them open for awile i don't really know why.

thats what those pile on the ice are from, interesting info fishhunter

Paul C
12-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Was out fishing this morning went to shovel the snow when my boot went through then ice. I steped back thinking i steped into a old hole so i stuck my shovle in to clean it out eneds up to be 4 foot by 2 foot patch of thin ICE :scared0018: all around it is at least 10inches Would this be caused by a spring and if so i have fished this area of the lake for 3 years now even had my truck right there but never again. The fishing was awesome I caught 4 rainbows the smallest was 16inches the biggest was 20
Do you think you should let people know which lake it is for there own safety.
What do you think ?

Big Red 250
12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Do you think you should let people know which lake it is for there own safety.
What do you think ?

How did you leave the hole when you went home? Did you mark it somehow? I wouldn't bother posting what lake it is, but I would mark it with a tree. a pole, willow, somehow to warn other's that something is there.

huntin
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
it is marked all around it with willows and ribbon now and the lake is my secret and has been for a few years now

Fishfinder
12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Either underwater spring or icesaw.
But we'll never know:sHa_sarcasticlol: so keep us posted:budo:
Hope u don't fall through.

ATF
12-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I drove over one once on Fawcett lake in the middle of nowhere. The front tire went over and the back broke through. I had enough momentum going that we sailed over it but when we checked it out it could have been ugly. It was a good 2 feet across and you could see air bubbles surfacing. There was nothing around that would have given it away either such as you would get from muskrats. We marked it with some deadwood so no one would hit it if following our tracks. Scraping of the shorts soon followed.:sign0068: