PDA

View Full Version : Parasite concerns.

Fishfinder
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Been catching and keeping a few brookies as of recent outta xxxx here near the Hat. Ma mentioned it to uncle tonight and he said beware that there are some diseased fish in there. Apparently black spots inbetween flesh n outer skin means toss them out. Some sorta parasite. Ate a couple the other day (no black spots/dots) n they were fine...and YUMMY!
Anyways preparing a bunch more for the smoker and wondering if anyone has come across this so called parasite. Sounds kinda like a tic, buries itself into the skin/body and hard to get out. Hopefully I do not come across it.
Any info would be awesome, don't wanna get sick!
Thanx n GL all!:)

Big Red 250
12-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I've caught fish with that black spot quite a few times, the first time it happened I took the fish to a C.O. and asked him about it. I hope someone else replies to this post and explains it better than I can, as it was a long time ago for me. It's not a disease, it's a parasite. You don't toss them. They are safe to eat, just make sure there well cooked. If you get caught tossing them, you can be charged. I'm sure putting them thru the smoker will kill it,depending on how much heat is used.

Fishfinder
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I've caught fish with that black spot quite a few times, the first time it happened I took the fish to a C.O. and asked him about it. I hope someone else replies to this post and explains it better than I can, as it was a long time ago for me. It's not a disease, it's a parasite. You don't toss them. They are safe to eat, just make sure there well cooked. If you get caught tossing them, you can be charged. I'm sure putting them thru the smoker will kill it,depending on how much heat is used.

I hear ya. Thing is, I gut me fishies when I get home so no worries about tossing them. We've been putting alot of males back in the lake, don't really know if the females have the parasite till we take em home n gut em. That being said, have not caught my limit in a day anyway and like I mentioned, the big boys go back. Plan to fillet a bunch in a bit or tomorrow and will keep ya'll posted. Have yet to see any "spots".
Thanx Red.:)

goldscud
12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.tnfish.org/FishDiseasesParasites_TWRA/files/BlackSpotBrookTrout.pdf

Big Red 250
12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the link, that's how it was explained to me, before the days of computers.

goldscud
12-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Seen this in Bullshead as well.