PDA

View Full Version : Burbot!!!!!!INOH

Dust1n
12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
okay so iv been trying to catch a burbot now for quite sometime what am i doing wrong?

iliketrout
12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
What time of day are you fishing? Night time is best. Glow jigs charged frequently with a stinky smelt or I've heard other types of scrap meat i.e. chicken skin. Fished just off bottom...good luck!

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
They can be caught on dark overcast days as well, but evening and into the night are the best times in my limited experience. I have caught a couple on a sunny afternoon as well, but then again Ive caught pike after dark too, so sometimes it just a matter of the right place at the right time as with all types of fish. A well placed horseshoe may be of help too. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

doublehaul
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I caught one at Brownlows today, I was trying everything and one actually bit a perch swimming diver that I was using to try to attract some fish. Just north of the launch in 6-8 FOW. My first ever, fried it up, it tasted all right. I have a camera and only saw burbot. Jig and minnow, it rises to the bait and doesn't pull too hard.

mjoeyo
12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I fish for Burbot in the Peace River during the summer. Right after work, until about 8:00, I put a couple fresh(ly frozen) minnows or smelts on a pickerel rig and toss it into a nice deep and calm pool, take up any slack in my line and enjoy the scenery. The bite is very subtle. I find I need a rod holder because I can't hold the rod still enough, even a gentle breeze across my line is enough to throw me off. I have caught plenty of Goldeye, some walleye, a few chubb and even a pike or 2 during this process too. 4 out of 5 times it burbot.

KegRiver
12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I fish for Burbot in the Peace River during the summer. Right after work, until about 8:00, I put a couple fresh(ly frozen) minnows or smelts on a pickerel rig and toss it into a nice deep and calm pool, take up any slack in my line and enjoy the scenery. The bite is very subtle. I find I need a rod holder because I can't hold the rod still enough, even a gentle breeze across my line is enough to throw me off. I have caught plenty of Goldeye, some walleye, a few chubb and even a pike or 2 during this process too. 4 out of 5 times it burbot.

That's pretty much what I do too. I would add, any meat bait will do, in the Peace River. I have never fished for them anywhere else.

Our favorite set is a heavy braided line a large treble hook, (these fish can get pretty big, at least to 20 lbs.) . For bait we like chicken gizzard because the chubs can't steal it. And we use whatever bait is necessary to hold the bait where we want it.

We fished the slowest water we could find, and the deeper the better.
Once set we sit back and read a book, whittle, pan for gold, anything to pass the time, cause times is the key.
Years ago we used to set the lines out and go home for a few hours.
That worked the best but is no long legal.

No need to set the hook. The fish will swallow the rig before you detect him anyway.

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
The burbs we caught Saturday night started out biting light, and you could barely tell they were hooked til they got to the ice. After an hour or so something changed, they smashed the jig so hard you would swear it was a big pike, and fought like demons all the way up. Maybe it was the moon rising, or whatever, but it was strange how much they changed over an hour.

Geezle
12-21-2010, 06:35 AM
okay so iv been trying to catch a burbot now for quite sometime what am i doing wrong?

Before we can try to figure out what you're doing wrong, how about telling us what you're doing?

bisonhunter
12-21-2010, 07:18 AM
i use a big heavy jig, doesn't matter what color, and a minnow/piece of smelt and pound it on the bottom. the more sound you make and silt you kick up the better. i also don't start drilling holes until the sun goes down, which is about 3pm these days.

Kim473
12-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Fish for pike and perch all day, when your ready to go home, DONT! Stay and fish for burbs on the bottom. They feed like nocturnal cat fish. Scavanger of the bottom, decaying stuff. Think they actualy clean the lakes up. Too bad commercial netting waste so many of them.