PDA

View Full Version : Wood Chips For Smoking

trapshooter
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
How do you make wood chips for smoking fish?
Plus how do you build a fire and keep it smoking while the fish cook?

WayneChristie
12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
chainsaw and gasoline!!! Nah I buy bags of smoking chips, and use them in a smoker.

Gary K
12-21-2010, 12:52 AM
For fish I don't think almond wood can be beat. Lots of places online to buy many a variety of wood chips, just gotta find some where the shipping costs are decent. Smokingwilf ( i think ) I'd an eBay storeni buy from. As fat as keeping the fire going. It all depends on the type of smoker you have. If you are just starting smoking I Recomend buying a natural hardwood charcoal ( which has alot of deep smoke flavor already. And getting that to desired temperature and then adding a handful of woodchips or 1 or 2 chunks. Then taste after it's done. You'll see this is quite "smokey" already. And unless you aren an expert at keeping a all wood fire going at a consistent temperature and not to much smoke, things can get quite unpleaent tasteing due to to much smoke.
If your in Calgary and have some money to spend. Head to BBQ's galore and talk to some guys in the charcoal/smoker department. Very knowlagable folk.
Think there may be one in Edmonton to, not sure though.

Paul C
12-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Use a very tiny axe.

dcutter
12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
C Tire
BBQ Country
Home Hardware
Walmart
Bass Pro
Wholesale Sports

I even bought some at Extra Foods once. You can find chips about everywhere they sell BBQs, Propane or Propane accessories :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-21-2010, 09:42 AM

You can buy them at pretty well any sporting store , canadian tire has them , places like that also peavey mart .

I guess you could do your own but dont think popilar or spruce would be that good for smoking , you want stuff like apple , cherry , hickory , Maple things like that . You can buy a bag for 4 or 5 dollars , at least its dried and perfect for smoking . I guess just depends what you want and what your smoking .

aulrich
12-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Local wood shops can be a source of hardwood scraps. A while back I bought the scrap bin from the blackforest wood company I have used about 1/3 of it for project and now I am in clean up mode getting rid of the bits that are just taking up space in my shop. I am working through the oak right now.

In the past I have save branches from the huge honeysuckles I have, I have also used some poplar . I have a chokecherry on it's last legs that will get cut into smoking wood as well. As long as it is not pine or simmilar your good to go.

howlin
12-21-2010, 04:11 PM
alder and hickory are good for fish ,if you can buy slab wood an electric plainer works good for chips.

howlin
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
heres a source for wood info http://bbq.about.com/cs/cookingtips/a/aa051097_2.htm .

Drewski Canuck
12-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I used to buy a 50 pound bag of wood chips (Hickory as I recall) from Halford Hides in Edmonton. Haven't done much fish smoking in years as the Whites in wab and pigeon have not done very well lately. However, call them. These bags last for years.

Drewski