PDA

View Full Version : What Does a Burbot Taste Similar To?

CeeZee
12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
So everyone is talking about how good these guys are, I haven't seen one in person for alot of years but all i remeber is they were not so likable.
All I hear is how good they are and taste, so what would you say the taste is similar to or related to? Also after filleted do they have bones?

Kim473
12-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Have not tasted one myself but I caught one at Wabmun years ago and put it on the ice, Uglyest fish i ever saw. An old farmer came right over that was not to far from us and asked if he could have it, I said ok. He figured it was like the best fish in the world. From what I know you can fillet boneless after skinned. Some say better than the cod they use for fish & chips.

WayneChristie
12-21-2010, 07:22 AM
I think they taste just like fish! only better :sHa_sarcasticlol:

calgarygringo
12-21-2010, 07:44 AM
You can fry them, deep fry batter them, boil them and dip in butter like lobster or however you like to cook fish. Great taste and mild. Yes you can make them a boneless filet as I do. Come out when a bunch of us are doing a get together and I have done a couple of boneless burb filet demo's and will show you how. Just have a board with a nail or screw sticking up and bring a pair of pliers and knife. The rest is in the training....Easy to catch in almost any of the southernlakes. The key is to start fishing when everyone else is going home.

gramps73
12-21-2010, 07:55 AM
I think they taste just like fish! only better :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I would have to second that...

Burbot also called poor mans lobster..

whitetail Junkie
12-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I like lingcod more than walleye or Perch.Best eating fish in alberta,Bar none!

Littlejet
12-21-2010, 08:53 AM
I like lingcod more than walleye or Perch.Best eating fish in alberta,Bar none!

I like Ling also, but better than Perch, come on. :fighting0074:30378

whitetail Junkie
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I like Ling also, but better than Perch, come on. :fighting0074:30378

Oh Way better,it's the Best.

I see you like a little Fish with your oil:) Actully looks quite Yummy,know i'm hungry!

pikester
12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I have caught & eat lots of burbot in my time, most were really good, a few were kinda wierd tasting. Can't say I have ever had one that tasted anywhere as good as lobster like some people say! They taste best deep fried in beer batter, exactly like the salt water cod in fish & chips which is good enough for me :47b20s0:

chubbdarter
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
eaten a few ling dinners but the thought of eating a snake/salamander cross is a appetite suppresent.....lol.....nothing wrong with the taste though

Littlejet
12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh Way better,it's the Best.

I see you like a little Fish with your oil:) Actully looks quite Yummy,know i'm hungry!

It is important to get the oil hot to "sizzle" before adding the fish otherwise it will absorb some. Fish nuggets are rolled in flour with spiced pepper & seasoning salt. Only takes about 3 min and they are done. :sHa_shakeshout:

PS sorry for Hijacking the Op's post:(

Dark Horn
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Only had them once and i would say it resembled lobster. Not as good though. Firm meat and was cooked in butter and garlic.

weedcatcher
12-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Well now I'm all hungry! And still a couple hours until dinner! I'll have to get out soon and catch a few more of those!

I don't see how they taste like lobster... the texture is wrong. But they ARE delicious. Very flakey, and tender. The only fish that tastes better is the cutthroat you catch on your fly-line after backpacking for a few days. THAT is to die for!

Grizzly Adams
12-21-2010, 03:42 PM
I would have to second that...

Burbot also called poor mans lobster..

My thoughts.

Grizz

3Dshooter
12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Cod.

AK47
12-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Burbot tastes best before spawn and it tastes worst right after spawn. So winter January/February burbot will be delicious and March/April - not good eating at all.

wwbirds
12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I thought everyone knew that everything tastes like chicken.

Now when you say barbot I am thinking cat fish but when you say ling I think of the salamander looking ugly things we used to leave on the ice at Ni****ing in northern ontario if the chinese guys didn't come and ask for them. My partner got ticked off one day and took one home skinned and fried it and it truly did have the taste and texture of chicken. Never gave them away again.

antler addict
12-21-2010, 07:40 PM
ceezee if you have eaten cod then you have eaten burbot.

Badback
12-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I thought everyone knew that everything tastes like chicken.

X 2...I bet everyone was thinking it....:lol:

CeeZee
12-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys and/or gals! It sounds good, and sounds like i will have to overcome my dislikes for their looks and the way they move around on the ice! lol

Get them on the ice, cleaned, and run them thru the outdoor fryer!!

Thanks again!

:happy0180:

mooseman1
12-24-2010, 12:20 AM
i've left a ton of them on the ice over time ,any one have a good recipie on how to fry these guys up ,i love my walleye with beer batter but the last ling i tryed was really oily and smelled really strong but it was pretty late in too the winter.

chubbdarter
12-24-2010, 12:29 AM
i've left a ton of them on the ice over time ,any one have a good recipie on how to fry these guys up ,i love my walleye with beer batter but the last ling i tryed was really oily and smelled really strong but it was pretty late in too the winter.

not completely positive but i think leaving them to waste on the ice maybe illegal.

WayneChristie
12-24-2010, 07:59 AM
not completely positive but i think leaving them to waste on the ice maybe illegal.

true, unless you are a commercial fisherman :angry3:
Moose why would you leave them on the ice and not put them back in the water if you dont want to eat them????????? what a waste.

pickrel pat
12-24-2010, 09:12 AM
true, unless you are a commercial fisherman :angry3:
Moose why would you leave them on the ice and not put them back in the water if you dont want to eat them????????? what a waste. he may be of an older generation, where at one time it was a common practice...wasnt unussual to see little piles of burbot(even pike sometimes) littering the ice. back in the day.

WayneChristie
12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
he may be of an older generation, where at one time it was a common practice...wasnt unussual to see little piles of burbot(even pike sometimes) littering the ice. back in the day.

Thats true I remember seeing big piles of them at Buffalo Pound lake in Sask when I was in the military, wish Id know how good they were to eat.

redranger15
12-24-2010, 10:27 AM
They are left all over the ice out here. I here they eat small walleye, and I think the people are thinking they are doing the walleye a favour.

Gust
12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
back in the seventies, people used to throw them & suckers on shore for the birds. The record (now that they're popular) is 20 pounds but I remember a family friend who only fished burbot/ling catching a 31 pounder on the wall at Milo. Another time, that family friend pulled out his Hibatchi, cooked some up including the liver and offered it to other fishermen who were curious and disdainful of the fish,,, he changed a lot of minds that day on it's tatse and probably saved the lives of many burbot. Speaking of which, has anyone caught a sucker in McGregor recently, they used to hand over fist 30 years ago.

Quick note; Burbot need to be eaten fairly quickly and loose a lot of flavour if they go in the freezer,,, if you do want to freeze them, take a milk carton and freeze them in water. The bigger the burb the better the taste,,, oh, and they are not a bottom feeder in the standard sense, oportunist and if left to their own devices they will eat big live fish.

There is a lot of burbot interest on here and, IMO, the limits should be brought down to max of 5.

mooseman1
12-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry guys didn't mean to tick anyone off ,if you tell me how to cookem then they will all be going in the pan from now on.

pikeman06
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I filet them on the ice so i dont gross everyone out at home then lay the filets on the snow and let the grease ooze out of them right there. just remember to leave a piece of skin on them for the way home. and dont cut them up. they are good. i would take a perch or wally any day over the ling tho.

-JR-
12-25-2010, 07:47 AM
How to clean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rRI-A194eU

roachman
12-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I guess to each their own. I just about soiled my drawers watching that video :sign0068:
I do know quite a few ppl who like to do their fish that way. I myself personally like to waste nothing and the video shows me a total waste of some really good meat that is there and being ignored. I like to skin my burbot, and then i chop it into steakettes like a salmon steakette. I then flour them with personal choice of spices and deep fry til they are nice and crispy, spinkle with fresh lemon juice and enjoy. The tail is actually my favorite part of the entire fish and I will deep fry it until it is crispy like a potatoe chip. This way the bones just crumble in your mouth and there is no incessant picking out of bones. I find the larger peices are like eating a piece of chicken since the bones are so large.
I have also done it the poor mans lobster way ... but choose to do it that way only with one large enough to get a decent amount of meat off of it. But as I said earlier.. to each their own .