PDA

View Full Version : Calling lake Report

JessePat
12-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Myself and two friends made the trip from edmonton to Calling lake yesterday morning to go for some Pike and Walleye. We drove his truck on the ice and at some parts it got kind of sketchy. It went from powder snow to heavy water on the ice. We made our way to a decent drop off and set up our lines. I stuck too minnow on a jig head and they were using a combination of a jackfish rig and a spreader with treble hooks. I had my flasher and I was fishing 30 FOW and they were coming up right from the bottom. We had a lot more Pike than we did walleye and unfortunely nothing too amazing in size. I did manage to get two walleye in the bracket though.

And as a side note, after fishing with a flasher, I don't know how I will do without it. It's such an amazing piece of equipment. To see a fish come up from the bottom towards your bait really lets you be prepared for the quick strick if they are biting light. There were a couple of fish were they hit so light that without the flasher I wouldn't even known it was a fish. It is pretty frusterating when you see a fish right at your bait then swim away! Ha ha

Bamm Bamm
12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Were you driving a maroon truck?

JessePat
12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Yah, were you on the snowmobile?

Bamm Bamm
12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Ya we didn't even see a fish and we were at 12 ft of water

JessePat
12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
We had a depth chart of the lake and we have fished there a lot in the summer time so we hit a spot that goes from 15 FOW of water to 30 FOW in probably 20 feet of distance. They were definently a lot deeper. All in all I would say we caught 30 Pike/Walleye

35 whelen
12-21-2010, 01:52 PM
good job love my new flasher ,nothing beats some depth maps and a flasher ,

burbotman14
12-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Where did you get your calling lake chart from? I know you get them from anglers atlas and atlas of Alberta lakes but those are not very specific.

Sequoia
12-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I was out last Saturday. We kept close to shore...caught 2 50cm walleye, one 60 cm walleye that we had to put back and 2 6lb pike...we were fishing in 5 feet of water...i think the ice was around 8 to 10 inches thick where we were.

Kim473
12-22-2010, 05:45 AM
I was out last Saturday. We kept close to shore...caught 2 50cm walleye, one 60 cm walleye that we had to put back and 2 6lb pike...we were fishing in 5 feet of water...i think the ice was around 8 to 10 inches thick where we were.

Think a few more weeks for good ice there yet.