PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Informations For Trout and Pike

trapshooter
12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey Guys,
I am just starting to smoke fish! I have a few questions for you!

1. What are good types of wood to use for trout and pike?
2. Should I use wet or dry chips?
3. What temp of heat should the smoker be around?
4. What are some good recipes and rubs?
Thanks

mooseknuckle
12-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Geeze you want us to catch them for you too?

AxeMan
12-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I just finished smoking a batch of rainbow trout. I will try to be a bit more helpful than mooseknuckle.

1. Trout and whitefish smoke well because they are an oilier fish. I find pike don't smoke as well. Alder, apple, and cherry are common woods to smoke fish with. I used alder on this batch.

2. Use wood chips that are originally dry but always wet or soak them for a little bit before using them in the smoker.

3. Smoker heat should be around 170 to 200 degrees F. This is referred to as a cool smoking technique.

4. Recipes are up to you but I would suggest on making a brine and soaking the fillets (skin on ) in the brine for about 4 hours. Many good recipes on the web. Most use soy sauce, pickling salt, brown sugar, spices. I heard root beer can be good too. Experiment to see what you like.

Here is a couple of pics of the batch I just did. They make great family Christmas gifts; everyone loves smoked fish.

perchfinder
12-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Geeze you want us to catch them for you too?

:lol:

Rockymtnx
12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I like to use willow for my trout. Diamond willow that grows on fencelines works great.
I try to smoke my fish at a lower heat. Max temp of 175-180 degrees. 150-160 is my ideal temp.

Paul C
12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I just finished smoking a batch of rainbow trout. I will try to be a bit more helpful than mooseknuckle.

1. Trout and whitefish smoke well because they are an oilier fish. I find pike don't smoke as well. Alder, apple, and cherry are common woods to smoke fish with. I used alder on this batch.

2. Use wood chips that are originally dry but always wet or soak them for a little bit before using them in the smoker.

3. Smoker heat should be around 170 to 200 degrees F. This is referred to as a cool smoking technique.

4. Recipes are up to you but I would suggest on making a brine and soaking the fillets (skin on ) in the brine for about 4 hours. Many good recipes on the web. Most use soy sauce, pickling salt, brown sugar, spices. I heard root beer can be good too. Experiment to see what you like.

Here is a couple of pics of the batch I just did. They make great family Christmas gifts; everyone loves smoked fish.
LOOks real good Axeman

great white whaler
12-21-2010, 11:42 PM

them looks some good

the local angler
12-22-2010, 10:55 AM
great looking smoke fish there axeman i was wondering the last pic of the packaged smoked fish, what kind of life span do they have after being smoked? what kind of expire date is reasonable?

AxeMan
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
great looking smoke fish there axeman i was wondering the last pic of the packaged smoked fish, what kind of life span do they have after being smoked? what kind of expire date is reasonable?

My opinion and experience with any smoked or cured meats including fish is that they are best eaten within about a 6 month period even if vacuum packaged and frozen. The flavor and texture just seems to degrade quicker after curing than fresh meat.

Good smoked fish never seems to last very long around my home anyways. :tongue0017:

Piker
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I usually brine mine overnight in a brine with salt,sugar, cure#1 and I try to keep temp below 120F. I am smoking the fish not cooking it. The brine does that. Piker