PDA

View Full Version : .......

Deer Hunter
12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
I went out calling coyotes for the first time this year. I have been waiting for it to get colder but with the forcast showing warm and windy later this week, I took off early Tuesday. The weather showed perfect, no wind and clear, minus 16 first thing. My stands were either where the deer or antelope were wintering, beside feedlots, in cows being fed in pivots or my favorite stand type, beside cows feeding in standing corn. All coyotes were called using a Sceery call. Killed with a Ruger 6mm Rem and 70gr Ballistic Tips at 3500 fps. Did 8 stands, saw probably 20 coyotes, shot at 12, killed 11. Ranges were from 100 to 450 yrds. Lots of snow. Here are the pics.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera1-11002.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera1-11005.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/RonsCamera1-11008.jpg

HunterDave
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
What a great day of hunting!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

JohninAB
12-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Awesome shooting and day calling coyotes there. Congrats.

Be out again here Boxing Day with my FoxPro.:)

steve
12-22-2010, 08:28 AM
What a day! Beats my best by a few, congrats!

Rockymtnx
12-22-2010, 08:54 AM
That is one heck of a day. That slams my personal best (seven).
Congrats on the hunt.
Make sure to post your pics in the coyote hunting contest thread.

pitw
12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Awesome job Deer Hunter and may I say feel proud as you deserve too.

beansgunsghandi
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
In my opinion this has zero to do with hunting and shouldn't even be in a "hunting" forum. Maybe a "kill it for the hell of it" forum, but shooting coyotes like this truly sickens me.

I know others on here obviously have a different opinion, but I do see this as genuinely wrong and had to say something. I'll keep my fire-resistant suit on for a bit now, Merry Christmas.

Jimboy
12-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I went out calling coyotes for the first time this year. I have been waiting for it to get colder but with the forcast showing warm and windy later this week, I took off early Tuesday. The weather showed perfect, no wind and clear, minus 16 first thing. My stands were either where the deer or antelope were wintering, beside feedlots, in cows being fed in pivots or my favorite stand type, beside cows feeding in standing corn. All coyotes were called using a Sceery call. Killed with a Ruger 6mm Rem and 70gr Ballistic Tips at 3500 fps. Did 8 stands, saw probably 20 coyotes, shot at 12, killed 11. Ranges were from 100 to 450 yrds. Lots of snow. Here are the pics.

Your gonna be itchy for a while now:sHa_sarcasticlol:

4thredneck
12-22-2010, 10:02 AM
In my opinion this has zero to do with hunting and shouldn't even be in a "hunting" forum. Maybe a "kill it for the hell of it" forum, but shooting coyotes like this truly sickens me.

I know others on here obviously have a different opinion, but I do see this as genuinely wrong and had to say something. I'll keep my fire-resistant suit on for a bit now, Merry Christmas.

Wow! Is there an anti site you could go to? Think of all the game birds and fawns he has saved by shooting all those coyotes.

Marlin xl7
12-22-2010, 10:06 AM

I feel that hunting coyotes is a sport, they are A LOT, smarter than you may think. There is usually a lot of planning and preperation that goes into a hunt like this gentlemen has had. From the looks of it he has probably been out watching where these things like to hang out, and so he went out with a handcall (?) and thinned them out. Farmers all around the province despise these animals as all they do is hurt there herd. What this gentleman has done could possibly save you a few dollars next time you want an alberta grown steak.

But, I do not have a problem with you not hunting coyotes, just don't get in my way :sHa_shakeshout:

Rockymtnx
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Are you for real?
Predator control is one of the most important methods of helping build healthy populations of many animals in Alberta. Coyotes are devastating on young antelope. Some areas that have many coyotes in them (The area Deer Hunter was in seems to have no shortage) have a less than 10% survival rate on antelope fawns.
The same goes for ducks, deer, on and on.
You obviously haven’t spent much time on a farm have you. If an area has this many coyotes in, livestock are also in danger too. Any farmer or rancher would love to have this many coyotes removed from their area.

JohninAB
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
beansgunsghandi, I will not flame you for your post. I may not agree with it but I respect your decision to voice your opinion on it and am grateful to live somewhere where you can express it.

Jimboy
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Coyotes are at a population high right now and have lost their fear of man.
They are moving into towns and citys in search of food , your small dog or cat is their prey and if there is a pack of them your small child is also at risk.
The pelts are used to make warm clothing and provide jobs and income for lots of people , l would hardly say hunted for the hell of it.
Coyotes have been around for more years than we know and will continue to be part of the landscape , heck they even tryed to poison them all off at one time and l can remember the coyote hunts down at Millerville years ago where they would form a line of 30 hunters 100 yads apart and walk a swath to scare out and kill what was flushed out , it wasnt done for the hell of it , they were a bludy pest like mice in your bed.
Coyotes die from lots of other ways , mange for one which is a horrible death where their hair falls out and they freeze to death , it is caused also by overpopulation , hunger is another one when snow is heavy , hit by cars and the list goes on , but they continue to strive.
So the man who kills a few are actually doing the species a favour in helping keep the population at a resonable number , we are all part of the food chain that mother nature intended us to be , the coyote is a predator and so are we.
Just because they look like your neighbours dog , they are not , they will eat a small newborn calf while the mother is giving birth , and eat many upland bird eggs , sure they are hungry and deserve to eat like us all , but when numbers get high they even eat themselves out of prey , because when there 7 to 8 coyotes to 3 sq miles , they are competing for food in a big way.
Hope you understand a little better now , and Merry Christmas my friend.:character0175:

dennisb
12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Awesome, awesome, awesome pictures

Redfrog
12-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Congrats on a great day .:sHa_shakeshout:

hayseed
12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Now thats a good day in the field!! Congrats man... and good shootin!! :sHa_shakeshout:

wwbirds
12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
We have had good days but never that good. Way too much skinning, fleshing and stretching for one day to suit me. You using compressor or hydralics to skin?? How does stacking in pick up affect skinning/quality of fur/hide. We have always been told not to pile them up as heat from one causes fur slippage in cool one it touches.
Local farmers would love you here but I am not sure we have that many!
What a day, congrats!

Gilly
12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
good to see a few pasture poodles hit the dirt. Looks like a hell of a day congrats!

DAVE
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Love it good job dude congrats! don't know what county you were in but check a lot of them have a 15.00 bounty on them so might be worth to check your area.Again good job.

nube
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

You blow!!!!!
Get your head out of your buttttt

Great shooting. Too bad you missed the one eh:)

fish_e_o
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
no Foxpro here!

don't worry you have until tomorrow morning to get in on the group buy...

good job! looks like you had a full day!

Deer Hunter
12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
don't worry you have until tomorrow morning to get in on the group buy...

Do they come with a lanyard? I have my hands full dragging back dead coyotes.:)

We have had good days but never that good. Way too much skinning, fleshing and stretching for one day to suit me. You using compressor or hydralics to skin?? How does stacking in pick up affect skinning/quality of fur/hide. We have always been told not to pile them up as heat from one causes fur slippage in cool one it touches.
Local farmers would love you here but I am not sure we have that many!
What a day, congrats!

I agree, stacking them on top isnt good for the pelts. They were only stacked up for a few hours.
I donate them to a friend of mine who takes care of them. I'm no good at skinning them. He does it the old fashion way, pays a couple of hutterites.

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Duramaximos
12-22-2010, 01:07 PM

That's it! i'm giving this gig up. I can't even get my first coyote. I'm seriously starting to wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong. :(

trapshooter
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
What sceery call were you using?

beansgunsghandi
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't want to hijack Deerhunter's thread, so I've started a new one. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=773240#post773240) Even though I don't think what he's doing is right, neither is his thread the place to sort out a broader issue.

Popcan
12-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Am I ever envious of you Deer Hunter. What an amazing day you must have had. Coyote heaven down there or what!! Thanks for the thread man. Awesome!! OMG....

TreeGuy
12-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Atta boy DH. Holy man, what a day! There's too many species to list, but rest assured they ALL appreciate the early Christmas gift you have given them with your efforts. Well done, sir! :)

cowboyhunter
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Congrats man! Keep up the good work! If you are getting low on them PM me and maybe you could travel out to the Claresholm way. Could help put you on a couple hundred out here as well.

dogslayer403
12-22-2010, 07:39 PM
That's Awsome my personal best is 8 keep on shooting there is no shortage of them around that's for sure. Anyone thinks what you did is bad must not even shoot gophers they are such moral people. LOL

ABwapiti
12-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Congrats you had a awesome day..

Deer Hunter
12-22-2010, 09:16 PM
What sceery call were you using?

AP-6, variable pitch distress call. I find that its the loudest and that makes the only difference compared to the other Sceery calls.

Donny Bear
12-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah that is a wicked day way to show us how it's done very very neat!

Thanks for sharing

leeaspell
12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Never hunted coyote before and was wondering what do you do with them after you bag em

tkhiebs
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
**** ya

Bushmaster
12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Definitely a great day. Congrats !! And those are some VERY nice lookin' coyotes.

Nester
12-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Very impressive

Ummmmmm any secrets to share? :)

Bushmaster
12-23-2010, 07:48 AM
leeaspell, with coyotes like those, you slip the hide off them, stretch 'em and send them to auction, where they'll bring you from $25 to $100, depending on the year.

gunslinger
12-23-2010, 07:59 AM
That is awsome, man great shooting, you should hit some wmu with some wolfes, i would love to see a truck load of them come out

Alberta Bigbore
12-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Congrats on some crazy shooting!!! Must've been a fun day

gitrdun
12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
You've done better in a single day than I have so far this year. Good calling and shooting too bud. Merry Christmas.

coyotekiller
12-24-2010, 11:06 PM
congrats man awesome day :P

Ruger
01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice!

RayM77
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Nice job! My buddy beastum has gotten over ten in a day but he uses a nitro.