PDA

View Full Version : HT Canadian Ice combo?

npauls
12-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have one of these combos and use it on a regular basis?

I am thinking of picking one up since I can get them for dirt cheap right now. I will be using the reel on a custom built rod that I built this week while sitting around with a bad back. I am thinking of giving my dad the rod so he has a walleye ice rod. The reel seems to be pretty decent and has a really smooth drag on it. It won't get used a ton and will be mostly use for out of the hut hole hopping when I am out searching for perch.

If anyone can give me any info. on these combos good or bad it would be greatly appreciated. I have to make up my mind whether or not I want one before tomorrow night.

I have 3 frabil bro series set ups and a jason mitchell on the way along with a small ultra lite 24" rapala set up so it isn't like I need it if its a really bad combo. I just figured that the reel mite work for the custom built rod and my dad could have a half decent walleye rod.

Nate

chubbdarter
12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
if you really love pops get him a st croix jigging rod for walleye....lol you'll both thank me

Grizzly
12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Pretty well any of the HT series ice combos are good enough for the average ice angler. I've got a couple Rapala combos and one HT walleye series combos, and i am happy with them.

Remember though, any ice set up will freeze up in cold conditions, i dont think you can get away from that.

I seem to end up buying a new combo every season, i dont know why when i have so many already. But the price is always right, and they never sit un used!

npauls
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
If my old man fished alot more I would invest some time into getting him some pricey good gear but he maybe gets out between 3-6 times a season at most on the ice.

As for freezing up. I would say you should invest in some of the cold weather lubes that some of the companies offer. They really do help out alot. Also if you are buying new combos every year because of break down then you should look into getting a bit more expensive combo if you can afford it. I have found that the frabil, jason mitchell, high end HT, and the dave genz combos are pretty well built and stand up to anything I can throw at them for the most part.

Nate