PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about smokers

JSMPP
12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Just wondering what benefit there is to a smoker over smoking fish in a barbeque? If anyone has any insight i'd appreciate it. So much talk on here about recipes and smokers my mouth is watering and want to get in on the action.

BEL
12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I have smoked fish on the BBQ. Just have to watch it closely. by the way, I was in Wholesale Sports Edmonton south this morning and noticed the Bradley 6 tray smokers on sale for $450--best price I have seen in about 5 years. BEL

vetterm39
12-23-2010, 05:32 AM
bbq will probably be way too hot even on low

rookiemoosehunter
12-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Just wondering what benefit there is to a smoker over smoking fish in a barbeque? If anyone has any insight i'd appreciate it. So much talk on here about recipes and smokers my mouth is watering and want to get in on the action.

The main difference is temperature.
You will have a hard time doing jerky or fish at 160 F on a BBQ.

Donkey Oatey
12-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I did some Rainbow Trout this fall on my BBQ. Just use one burner and that is where you would place your smoke pack. I soaked some mesquite chips and put them in tin foil with a couple holes poked in the top right on the fire. Kept it on low and then put the fish on the racks on the opposite side. Went a little faster because it was a little hotter but made some damn fine smoked trout. Did ribs that way as well. And man once you have smoked you never want to go back to fast cooking ever.

I just got a Grillpro charcoal smoker at a silent auction. If the weather ever smartens up I have a bunch of baby back ribs just waiting to go in there and try it out.

aulrich
12-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Temp it the big thing a bbq will be too hot. mind you add a good electric hot plate and you could morgh your BBQ into a smoker easy enough.

I am just running a big chief does not have the adjustment of the bradly but I have done jerky to turkey with it.

darrin6109
12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
the only real problem i have had when smoking fish is they are hard as hell to keep lit.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
the only real problem i have had when smoking fish is they are hard as hell to keep lit.

and which end do you suck on and which end do you light?

slingshotz
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I use my bbq all the time for smoking. Obviously cold smoking is almost out of the question but interestingly enough older bbq's are better for smoking as they don't get as high in temperature as the newer more expensive bbqs. I know some of the newer bbqs are way to hot even with one burner lit to keep things in the 160-180F range.