PDA

View Full Version : Travers today

calgarygringo
12-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Did a trip with a buddy and grandson today to Travers for my first time I have ice fished it. We caught about a dozen Wallys a mini Pike and a nice 3.5-4 lb Burb. They seemed to be biting well on minnows and jigs. I was using smelts and they didn't seem to care. By the way the grandson was the king of the ice. Lots of others out there today by the boat launch. A few said they were not getting much but didn't talk to all.

chubbdarter
12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Did a trip with a buddy and grandson today to Travers for my first time I have ice fished it. We caught about a dozen Wallys a mini Pike and a nice 3.5-4 lb Burb. They seemed to be biting well on minnows and jigs. I was using smelts and they didn't seem to care. By the way the grandson was the king of the ice. Lots of others out there today by the boat launch. A few said they were not getting much but didn't talk to all.

congrats that a good day eye fishing....any size?
is by the boat launch secret code....there is 3 launches..lol
congrats again

calgarygringo
12-22-2010, 07:24 PM
The main launch at Little Bow campground.
We were just down the bay a little ways. Biggest measured 48cm and most of the others except for 1 were 40-45.

chubbdarter
12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
The main launch at Little Bow campground.
We were just down the bay a little ways. Biggest measured 48cm and most of the others except for 1 were 40-45.

very nice congrats.
just for your info that is the smallest launch on the lake.
were you near the coal banks? thats one of my favorite places for eyes

calgarygringo
12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
About 1/3 to 1/2 way down.
I have fished there many times in the summer but first ice fish for me there. I usually fish the other side of the lake but my buddy has a friend with a small shack on the ice there that we used today so we were limited where to fish other than we drilled around outside once it warmed up nicely. We actually caught more outside this aft than inside this a.m. I don't know if it was the timing or because we were in a slightly different spot.

WayneChristie
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Ken Ive seen people fishing from their tents right up against the dock pilings for whites at the campground there. maybe for other species too, I dont know.

chubbdarter
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
About 1/3 to 1/2 way down.
I have fished there many times in the summer but first ice fish for me there. I usually fish the other side of the lake but my buddy has a friend with a small shack on the ice there that we used today so we were limited where to fish other than we drilled around outside once it warmed up nicely. We actually caught more outside this aft than inside this a.m. I don't know if it was the timing or because we were in a slightly different spot.

you snowmobile down to the spot? i hate that soft spot in front of the house
you considering wolf coulee for this winter?

calgarygringo
12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
There was 3 or 4 guys between the pillars in their tents and a few were hugging the shore. I know one guy I talked to said they were targeting whitefish and perch and they were not doing very well. The guys near the shore were so close it was hard to tell if they were on the water or the rocks and they were there most of the day. Again it was my first ice trip there and I only usually troll that area a bit in the summer but target walleyes on the other side of the lake. Was still nice to see lots of action.