PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sundance Perch removal

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I am going out Friday December 24, 2010 - 9 am to 3 pm

If anyone is interested...please PM me your phone number and I will contact you to confirm you are in.

You need a rod with an ultra sensitive spring tip to see the bites...

For info on what you need to bring...
http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/HowtoSuccessfullyCatchYellowPerchArticleUpdate.pdf

Thanks

Sun

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Yummm...

Take perch...fillet. Remove ribcage...now it is boneless.

Take lemon pepper shake and bake for shrimp and fish.

Roll perch pieces in shake and bake.

Cook in saute pan with virgin olive oil.

Eat fast before kids get to it.

Did I say YUMMMM!

baitfisher83
12-23-2010, 08:04 AM
You big tease :P

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-PanFish-Popper-Plus-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Ice-Fishing-Combos/product/102680/-1429766

If anyone is out by Bass Pro and are coming tomorrow. I could use really use 8 of these. I can pay you back in cash or check at the lake...plus I will toss in either a pound of my smoked Chinook or a pound of halibut from my Fall fishing trip...

Garry B
12-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Wish I could be there - hope you catch lots!

bigjeff
12-23-2010, 10:07 AM
PM sent, thanks Kev

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 10:08 AM
PM sent, thanks Kev

Got it...I will be in touch tonight once I see how many are coming. Badback should be out in the afternoon. Goldscud will be out tomorrow also.

sauro88
12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I am in. Let me know before 5:00 pm if you need those rods at Bass Pro and I will get them for you. Please check your PM for my number. Thanks.

aulrich
12-23-2010, 10:20 AM
#$%^ I pulled the short straw and have to work grumble grumble

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I am in. Let me know before 5:00 pm if you need those rods at Bass Pro and I will get them for you. Please check your PM for my number. Thanks.

I will take you up on that. I just need the receipt and I can pay you tomorrow. If that works. I will PM you back.

Jimboy
12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a great perch fishery there , great for kids and much better eating than trout , my question is , whos idea is it to get rid of them and WHY , dont make sence.

aulrich
12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Do a search for the answer for that, it's well documented here. it will make sense in the end

oilngas
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I'll c u on the ice!!

camshaft
12-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Sundance

I'll be out there tomorrow morn with my friend who has access as well, does it say anything in the regs about bringing a underwater camera or flasher. Can these items be used there?

I'm assuming no gas augers, but is my icegator ok?

slingshotz
12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Camshaft, I sent a PM to Kevin also and if I can come I'll bring my icegator too so we can finally compare how it works with different blades.

goldscud
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
No gas augers. Electronics used to be frowned upon but seem to be showing up more often lately. Not sure they get more fish on the hook anyway

Badback
12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Sundance

I'll be out there tomorrow morn with my friend who has access as well, does it say anything in the regs about bringing a underwater camera or flasher. Can these items be used there?

I'm assuming no gas augers, but is my icegator ok?

Nope bring your camera and flashers but no gas augers....Bring your Icegator, I'd like to see that....

Trey
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
oh man i wanna come, but i have my 6 year old in town with me right now, so im not too sure how long she would hold out or if she would even be interested, that being said i only have one shorty ice rod and not too sure about gear that perch would eat. im more set up for trout pike and wallys

Badback
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
oh man i wanna come, but i have my 6 year old in town with me right now, so im not too sure how long she would hold out or if she would even be interested, that being said i only have one shorty ice rod and not too sure about gear that perch would eat. im more set up for trout pike and wallys

Bring her along....If she gets cold you guys can go to the building and warm up...We have had lots of AOF members bring their children out...

camshaft
12-23-2010, 01:42 PM
kk I'll bring the gator. I'm still awaiting a set of replacement switches from the company, but it seemed to work fine during my last outing. I've got it paired with a fin-bore 3

FishingMOM
12-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Trey,

2 weeks ago I had my 5 yr old out on the ice. There are pictures up.
I must say the HOST is amazing with the kids. My son asks every day, twice a day when can he fish with Sundance again?

Plus there is a big hill near by so if you have a helmet and sled the kids can go there to play too.

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I have about 25 people asking to come out so I am going to have to decide what to do tonight...stay tuned everyone.

Sun

bigdeer91
12-23-2010, 02:58 PM
i would like to take my girl friend fishing .she has never been ice fishing before.when are you guys going to be doing the lake sundance perch fishing again.if its on a week end in the new year i would like to join in on the fun. :medium-smiley-035:

jacenbeers
12-23-2010, 03:25 PM
I really wanna come along.

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Badback is going to take a couple late comers in.

I am maxed out for tomorrow.

Let's hope the fishing is as good as the weather!

Sun

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-PanFish-Popper-Plus-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Ice-Fishing-Combos/product/102680/-1429766

If anyone is out by Bass Pro and are coming tomorrow. I could use really use 8 of these. I can pay you back in cash or check at the lake...plus I will toss in either a pound of my smoked Chinook or a pound of halibut from my Fall fishing trip...

I got 2 from Bass Pro but they are sold out. I wonder if Wholesale has 6 left and if they would sell for the $24.99 Bass Pro price?

Fishfinder
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I really wanna come along.

Hope u get in there bud, I admire ur pics, techniques, and general appreciation for the sport. If I still lived in cowtown, I'd love to assist Sun in removing some perchies myself!
Good Luck all! Have fun:tongue0017:

bigjeff
12-23-2010, 07:43 PM
If your tight for numbers, I have access through friends in the community. Sounds like lots want to go, use my spot for someone else. Thanks as always!

Sundancefisher
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I got 2 from Bass Pro but they are sold out. I wonder if Wholesale has 6 left and if they would sell for the $24.99 Bass Pro price?

Well...I went myself to Wholesale cause I figured they might be running short. They had a few left and I wanted 5. Bass Pro listed as $24.99. Wholesale website $29.99. Wholesale store...$32.99. I asked for Bass Pro's price. Sku was slightly different so they said no need to match. You compare online and I can't see the difference. Anyways...I asked them to at least match their own website. I didn't say it but I was not heading down to Bass Pro. As for matching his own price...he said no way...different business. What? I am confused. I thought it was their stores online catalog. Apparently not. Anyways... I was hoping to save the community some money...I suggested 10% off and he agreed right away. Very strange. I have 2 coming from Bass Pro...not sure the price but we will see.

I am just baffled as to how Wholesale can put on a misleading website. Me thinks I will be writing someone to complain cause that is pure bait and switch IMHO.

Sun

chigro
12-23-2010, 09:29 PM
FYI I picked up a pack of 2 "springs" at the Fishin Hole for about $10 and installed them on my ice rods, works just fine. Just another option to consider, but certainly a bit more economical. As well I see the odd Canadian Tire with the Frabil spring rods for $29.99.

FishingMOM
12-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I found the springs in packs of 2 at Canadian tire.
They are the flat style.

$1.99
I grabbed 3 packs for the time being to try out.

jacenbeers
12-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Hope u get in there bud, I admire ur pics, techniques, and general appreciation for the sport. If I still lived in cowtown, I'd love to assist Sun in removing some perchies myself!
Good Luck all! Have fun:tongue0017:

I will make sure I take pics tomorrow. I hope I catch something.

Trey
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Badback is going to take a couple late comers in.

I am maxed out for tomorrow.

Let's hope the fishing is as good as the weather!

Sun

whats the limit for people in that community? some places your only allowed one or two guests

Garry B
12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I will make sure I take pics tomorrow. I hope I catch something.

I think you'll get some. I'm eagerly awaiting your pictures. I sure wish I would be able to be there. You're gonna have an awesome time!

Jimboy
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
With over a million perch left in there why not transport a few to chestermere lake and top of the fishery there , or throw a few in at pcr and clear lake.

chubbdarter
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
With over a million perch left in there why not transport a few to chestermere lake and top of the fishery there , or throw a few in at pcr and clear lake.

thats great common sense thinking I'd back that idea 100%..............but the fisheries im guessing would shun such a great idea

ogre
12-24-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm hoping to come out for the first time, if I can find a way to get there. I'd been looking forward to this for a while now. I know Sundancefisher is max out on guests, but I'm hoping Badback would bring me in if I show up tomorrow. I'm sending a PM to Sundancefisher with my tel#

Badback
12-24-2010, 07:29 AM

It is illegal for the general populous to transport and stock fish in Alberta governed waters….Do a search and you will find lots of treads that have dicusses this..

Badback
12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm hoping to come out for the first time, if I can find a way to get there. I'd been looking forward to this for a while now. I know Sundancefisher is max out on guests, but I'm hoping Badback would bring me in if I show up tomorrow. I'm sending a PM to Sundancefisher with my tel#

Sorry Orge I've got my 2 so I'm maxed also...

Geezle
12-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey Sun, just a thought on the rods. If you can't get enough of the Frabil's you might want to look into the HT Ice Blues rod in light action. It's more of an ultralight really, and even stupid little Hasse perch will put a good bend in it when they bite. And if that's not light enough (it should be) there's always the little aftermarket spring bobbers :)

FishingMOM
12-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Well I told stinky we are fishing today.
Mom can I fish with Sundancer and my other new friends?
I cant wait to see them.
Mom can I catch a million perch?

as per stinky

HunterDave
12-24-2010, 07:52 AM
When you guys & gals are done with Sundance Lake c'mon up to Morinville and get some perch out of the lake here. I don't think that you're allowed to keep them though.

aulrich
12-24-2010, 08:16 AM
OK so I am sitting here at work jelous grr

Have fun

Sundancefisher
12-24-2010, 08:46 AM
When you guys & gals are done with Sundance Lake c'mon up to Morinville and get some perch out of the lake here. I don't think that you're allowed to keep them though.

Is it illegal to give a perch an "extra" hug before releasing in Morinville?

ogre
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Sundancefisher, Badback, and FishingMOM. Hope to be able to get out there sometime, hard water isn't over yet. Tight lines, y'all.

Badback
12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Sundancefisher, Badback, and FishingMOM. Hope to be able to get out there sometime, hard water isn't over yet. Tight lines, y'all.

I just got an email from one of the fellows that I was going to take in....Your in meet me at the gates at 12:30

Jimboy
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
It is illegal for the general populous to transport and stock fish in Alberta governed waters….Do a search and you will find lots of treads that have dicusses this..

Yes l realize that , but maybe its time to get the Alberta fisheries involved here on the basis of your problem , l,m sure the fish are healthy enough to stock other waters , give them all the details , maybe some fisherys minister will take a look at the situation and find a plus here in netting them and stocking other lakes instead of mass disposal.
lts nice to invite us out for a catch all , but a million in there you say , so why not look at other options that will improve perch fishing at other waters , but yea l know , could be a tough job convincing the EXPERT BIOs.

Garry B
12-24-2010, 10:07 AM
OK so I am sitting here at work jelous grr

Have fun

Don't feel too bad. If it's any consolation I'm sitting in front of my computer too. :sad0125: I'm imagining their thick into 'em already.

jacenbeers
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I will be there in an hour and a half. Sitting at work in the morning when you know you get to fish in the afternoon is really difficult.

ogre
12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you to Badback, Sundancefisher, FishingMOM, Chigro, Alex and Rob, I learned many new things. Will see you all soon. Merry Christmas.

MarkS
12-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Great afternoon, thanks guys. Plenty of decent size perch, more than enough for a good meal for the whole family. It was good to see Kevin out-fished too ....

FishingMOM
12-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Sundance.

THANK YOU

I can't say it enough for your kindness.
Stinky loved being out there again. So did I.

Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.

Everyone else. Thank you. You guys absolutely rock. I wish you knew how much your kindness towards stinky means to me.

Jennifer
and
Brandon (Stinky)

goldscud
12-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I couldn't catch half the fish I do without Brandon...his lucky mitts saved the day again!

Merry Christmas, Rob

FishingMOM
12-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I couldn't catch half the fish I do without Brandon...his lucky mitts saved the day again!

Merry Christmas, Rob

Rob,

You give him too much credit. But again Thank you.
Its amazing to see so many amazing men in a single group.
You guys are definately role models for little boys!

Jennifer

MitchR
12-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Why dont you guys just let a couple of big pike in that lake? It would get rid of the perch problem pretty quick LOL.

Honestly, I saw the video, and from the looks of it you could probably snag them with a large treble and an underwater camera.

goldscud
12-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Who wants slough sharks when you have the chance to catch these...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/RobsBiggestTrout.jpg

Badback
12-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Well I'm glad that I went out to the AOF Sundance perch fishing day...I got to meet lots of members...Sorry about the picture quaility I was using the camera in my phone....Sundance called us over to a spot and said "only big ones here"...Commander B showed use Sundance wasn't kidding...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/commanderb.jpg

baitfisher83
12-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Ok I think I may have to beat up Blaine now...showing off while I have to work..lol

Garry B
12-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Well I'm glad that I went out to the AOF Sundance perch fishing day...I got to meet lots of members...Sorry about the picture quaility I was using the camera in my phone....Sundance called us over to a spot and said "only big ones here"...Commander B showed use Sundance wasn't kidding...

Incredible Badback! I am so sorry I wasn't able to make it. You all had an awesome day - I'm glad for you. Merry Christmas.

camshaft
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Sundance

I got ur PM, and I would appreciate if u responded to mine. Pls call me, as I feel there are some things that need to be discussed.

Sundancefisher
12-25-2010, 09:16 AM

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/commanderb.jpg

I never kid about large perch :-)

I am also going to admit it that Alex sure did school us on using the marmish rod. His fast pace...while not a record probably caught 4 times or 5 times more than me. Any time I looked over it seemed he was running a perch fishing school...

Great job removing perch everyone!

Sun

portwein
12-25-2010, 10:04 AM
:sSig_cool2:

some statistics: 127 perches and total weight 16,5 kilos
thanks for everyone for great day on the ice
merry Сhristmas
:oregonian_winesmile
and :fishing::fishing:

DuckBrat
12-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Effective & Sensitive spring tip for only $.10

Drill hole in end of zip tie for line to pass through. Zip tie attached to rod tip with electrical tape. Adjust length of zip tie for desired sensitivity.

Enjoy the oodles of perch and Merry Christmas.

Garry B
12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Effective & Sensitive spring tip for only $.10. Drill hole in end of zip tie for line to pass through. Zip tie attached to rod tip with electrical tape. Adjust length of zip tie for desired sensitivity.

I have been working on a few new designs for bite indicators for a while and for them had bought a bunch of small zip ties in various florescent colors. But I'm going to switch gears a bit and try to incorporate your idea of using the zip tip as the main spring. Thanks for this awesome tip!

I got the florescent ties here:
https://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/
They have them in various sizes.

AK47
12-25-2010, 11:46 AM

merry Сhristmas

that is an average of 129gr per perch... pretty decent size. How many hours it took you to haul that?

AK47
12-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Alex sure did school us on using the marmish rod. His fast pace...while not a record probably caught 4 times or 5 times more than me.

So you saying I will have a REAL competition? Awesome!:)
Seriously, I am so glad more and more people realize that nothing, I mean no rod, no hand, no finger beats marmish when it comes to perch fishing. Now if only some retailers would start importing real Russian wolfram jigs it would be dream come true...
I am going today to do some practice and check couple new jigs... and as all stores are closed I will fish with no live bait.... results and pictures to follow.

Sundancefisher
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM

merry Сhristmas

Good to know. that is about 36 lbs worth. At $15 /lb for perch fillets...That is like $540 worth of perch. Awesome! I see Billingsgate doesn't have any in stock.

Usually perch fillets come for the Lake Erie commercial fishery.

Sundancefisher
12-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Yes l realize that , but maybe its time to get the Alberta fisheries involved here on the basis of your problem , l,m sure the fish are healthy enough to stock other waters , give them all the details , maybe some fisherys minister will take a look at the situation and find a plus here in netting them and stocking other lakes instead of mass disposal.
lts nice to invite us out for a catch all , but a million in there you say , so why not look at other options that will improve perch fishing at other waters , but yea l know , could be a tough job convincing the EXPERT BIOs.

Never hurts to ask interesting questions. This has been asked before. In a nutshell...

For disease and genetic reasons you can't move them around. I have asked this a long, long time ago. Our only option is the removal methods we have underway.

Cheers

Sun

FishingMOM
12-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Good to know. that is about 36 lbs worth. At $15 /lb for perch fillets...That is like $540 worth of perch. Awesome! I see Billingsgate doesn't have any in stock.

Usually perch fillets come for the Lake Erie commercial fishery.

Here is a funny one for you
11lbs of perch $185.00
10 lbs Rainbow Trout Fillets $98.00
(sources http://www.walleyedirect.com)

1 day of Fishing with sundance = 1 estatic kid, many meals of fish for us, my Ceo and his wife and my best friend and her daughter.
1 tired out mom.

Calgaryguy1977
12-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Who wants slough sharks when you have the chance to catch these...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/RobsBiggestTrout.jpg

Jeebus!! You catch that in Sundance?

AK47
12-25-2010, 10:31 PM
so I fished today for 1.5 hr - from 2:15 till 3.45... had no live bait so used mormysh with rubber blood worm imitation.... Fished other side of the lake then usually as had no auger today and needed to use old holes. I must say even in a lake full of perch like Sundance they still crave for live bait and it was very difficult to convince them to bite. Many small ones this time only 6 decent size females. Total of 28.

http://i52.tinypic.com/ka0hg1.jpg

goldscud
12-25-2010, 10:32 PM
I think a few of us have caught that one Calgaryguy....catch and release spreads the fun around. They seem to keep growing when they don't get killed.

Good job AK, love to see those females on the ice

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Now if only some retailers would start importing real Russian wolfram jigs it would be dream come true...

Hi. You can order what appear to be genuine Mormyshka jigs here:

http://www.keeperlures.com/pages/mormyshka-jigs.php

Are these what you were referring to?

Regards

portwein
12-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Regards

this is traditional Russian style of marmooskas, used to use them a lot, work good, but they are made from led and brass, not from wolfram and I found they work better for trout then for perch
Garry B, thank you for link, i think i will order a few

Garry B
12-26-2010, 11:16 AM
this is traditional Russian style of marmooskas, used to use them a lot, work good, but they are made from led and brass, not from wolfram and I found they work better for trout then for perch
Garry B, thank you for link, i think i will order a few

Hi portwein. I don't know much about these lures except what I have been able to read from the internet. Wikipedia has an article on the genuine Mormyshka lures and it says they are often made from tungsten:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormyshka

Without having used either I notice that the shape and color of the jigs in the Wikipedia page and the Keeprlure jigs are very close to the same. I can guess the biggest difference would be weight (tungsten is heavier). Other than that they look pretty much the same to my untrained eye.

Could you briefly explain why they work better for trout than perch? Is it the weight? Thanks.

Sundancefisher
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi portwein. I don't know much about these lures except what I have been able to read from the internet. Wikipedia has an article on the genuine Mormyshka lures and it says they are often made from tungsten:

Without having used either I notice that the shape and color of the jigs in the Wikipedia page and the Keeprlure jigs are very close to the same. I can guess the biggest difference would be weight (tungsten is heavier). Other than that they look pretty much the same to my untrained eye.

Could you briefly explain why they work better for trout than perch? Is it the weight? Thanks.

I just ordered a "few" tungsten mormyshka lures. Tried to get a marmich rod from Bass Pro...the fishing sales guys said they have never heard of it before...strange.

Sun

AK47
12-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Regards

yeah, they look good and they are great for fishing shallows, like 3-10 ft of water ( thats where I used to catch most of the perch back in Europe). Not so good deeper.... thats why tungsten or wolfram jigs ( which looks similar but are heavier and more expensive) are superior here where perch seem to like hanging out in deep waters.

AK47
12-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I just ordered a "few" tungsten mormyshka lures. Tried to get a marmich rod from Bass Pro...the fishing sales guys said they have never heard of it before...strange.

Sun

Try this website. Great rods, jigs and they even have micro lines.

http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/palmrods.html

Garry B
12-26-2010, 01:10 PM
yeah, they look good and they are great for fishing shallows, like 3-10 ft of water ( thats where I used to catch most of the perch back in Europe). Not so good deeper.... thats why tungsten or wolfram jigs ( which looks similar but are heavier and more expensive) are superior here where perch seem to like hanging out in deep waters.

Thanks. So it's the weight and the speed. Maybe action too?

Here's the idea I have. This might not be perfect but could you 'fake' things a bit by tying a tiny tiny barrel swivel 12" up from your jig and then pass your main line through an in-line sinker (make on the right size if needed) and tie to the barrel swivel? I know this would tangle more readily and would kill the action some but it would get the hook down faster. The jig could still be relatively free to do it's own thing 12" below the weight. Just thinking. We did a very similar thing for casting a slip bobber and it works fairly well.

Garry B
12-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Sun

For Mormyshka and Marmish rods I found this Canadian source:

http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Rod/flypage-ask.tpl.html
http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Rod-400017/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I had been looking for the Mormyshka rods but they are not easy to find in North America. Man those Russians and Europeans have us beat in this finesse ice fishing department. :( :)

These guys also sell Mormyshka jigs:

http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Collection-1/flypage-ask.tpl.html
http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Collection-2/flypage-ask.tpl.html
http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Collection-3/flypage-ask.tpl.html
http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Kit/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I'm not sure if they are tungsten or some other material. Wish they specified.

AK47
12-26-2010, 01:55 PM
For Mormyshka and Marmish rods I found this Canadian source:

http://www.fishonlineca.com/Ice-Fishing/Mormyshka-Rod/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I had been looking for the Mormyshka rods but they are not easy to find in North America. Man those Russians and Europeans have us beat in this finesse ice fishing department. :( :)

These guys also sell Mormyshka jigs:

I'm not sure if they are tungsten or some other material. Wish they specified.

10$ for sportfishing rod like that is a steal for sure. Those mormyshkas are lead, not tungsten/wolfram. Wolfram is a very hard metal to work with so most of wolfram jigs are every simple drop or ball shape.

AK47
12-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks. So it's the weight and the speed. Maybe action too?

Here's the idea I have. This might not be perfect but could you 'fake' things a bit by tying a tiny tiny barrel swivel 12" up from your jig and then pass your main line through an in-line sinker (make on the right size if needed) and tie to the barrel swivel? I know this would tangle more readily and would kill the action some but it would get the hook down faster. The jig could still be relatively free to do it's own thing 12" below the weight. Just thinking. We did a very similar thing for casting a slip bobber and it works fairly well.

It may work when fish are biting on slow action. As anything between the jig and strike indicator will interfere and kill jig action it may not work when they need aggressive approach.

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:14 PM
10$ for sportfishing rod like that is a steal for sure. Those mormyshkas are lead, not tungsten/wolfram. Wolfram is a very hard metal to work with so most of wolfram jigs are every simple drop or ball shape.

As I search I am finding exactly what you say.

Here I found some simple shapes for jigs:
http://tulskay-mormyshka.ru/mor.html

And here is an explanation of the difficulty in producing them:
http://tulskay-mormyshka.ru/sta.html

Very interesting subject.

AK47
12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
As I search I am finding exactly what you say.

Here I found some simple shapes for jigs:
http://tulskay-mormyshka.ru/mor.html

And here is an explanation of the difficulty in producing them:
http://tulskay-mormyshka.ru/sta.html

Very interesting subject.

now these are something I would get for sure if possible:)

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:22 PM

So if genuine Mormyshka are usually simple ball or drop shapes then this image from the Wikipedia article likely is not showing tungsten lures since these are not simple shapes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/RMK05.jpg

These must be some lead or something coated with copper or other material.

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:27 PM
now these are something I would get for sure if possible:)

Hmmm? I'm think I am going to need to learn to speak and write Russian. I'll see ... :)

Even though they are not gorgeous with beautiful shapes and colors you think these would be good? They are so simple.

FishingMOM
12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.marmish.ca/

Go ahead boys Drool.

Marmish has a Canadian location and eat your hearts out its in EDMONTON.

AK47
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Hmmm? I'm think I am going to need to learn to speak and write Russian. I'll see ... :)

Even though they are not gorgeous with beautiful shapes and colors you think these would be good? They are so simple.

true... but when you think what they imitate? water bugs, worms, tiny minnows and other tiny water creatures which usually are simple colors;). I could get away with three basic colors - copper, black and nickel... that is really all you need, all other shades and colorings are just to please fisherman's eye not the fish IMHO.

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.marmish.ca/
Marmish has a Canadian location and eat your hearts out its in EDMONTON.

Yes it's very cool to have a company like that right from one's home town. The first time I was in WSS and saw the rods, indicators and jigs and the salesperson told me they were made right here I was pleasantly surprised.

Garry B
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
true... but when you think what they imitate? water bugs, worms, tiny minnows and other tiny water creatures which usually are simple colors;). I could get away with three basic colors - copper, black and nickel... that is really all you need, all other shades and colorings are just to please fisherman's eye not the fish IMHO.

Yep, I think the pretty ones do catch lots of fishers! Maybe we are the prey! Ha ha.

portwein
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
hi Garry B

Without having used either I notice that the shape and color of the jigs in the Wikipedia page and the Keeprlure jigs are very close to the same. I can guess the biggest difference would be weight (tungsten is heavier). Other
than that they look pretty much the same to my untrained eye.

tungsten jigs are pretty new stuff, first time i tried them about 7 years ago, and i am sure enough the picture on Wiki is not correct

yes, the weight is most important thing here: in winter fish is more careful then in summer time and sometimes just staying away of large led jigs,

probably it is my own experience, but i had more success with shiny jigs for trout and dark painted for perch
there are two links about wolfram jigs
http://www.mormyshka.ru/pages.php?item=3
http://www.mormyshka.ru/pages.php?item=4
some of them are painted and some galvanized
and two pictures of traditional Russian marmooskas - shiny skin made from stainless steel or brass or copper and filled up by led

Garry B
12-26-2010, 07:26 PM
tungsten jigs are pretty new stuff, first time i tried them about 7 years ago, and i am sure enough the picture on Wiki is not correct.

Thanks for those two good pages and information. I'm getting up to speed on this subject now. Those are beautiful lures.

Using copy I grabbed the Russian text below the jig and pasted it into Google Chrome browser. Chrome translates from one language to another so I found this website of Russian tackle:
http://masterfisher.ru/

Here are some nice tungsten jigs:
http://masterfisher.ru/catalog.php?cid=38&scid=13&page=4

Price is reasonable. Between 25 and 59 Rubles. Now it becomes a matter of contacting them to see if I will I be able to even order from them! Ha. It's a long shot but I'll try.

Regards

MarkS
12-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Anybody planning to fish at Sundance tomorrow (Monday)? Thought I might pay a visit but need to rely on somebody elses auger!

oilngas
12-26-2010, 09:32 PM
so far the plan looks like late morning or after lunch for a few hours, not much luck today, a few smallish trout is all.

MarkS
12-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks oilngas, hope to see you there.