PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish Lake

bigfro47
12-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I plan on going to whitefish lake north of Smoky, does anyone know if you can get on at the campgrounds via the boat launch at the south end?? Any info regarding good fishing spots on lake would be great as well as lake access for a truck.Looking to catch some big northerns or a few Perch and have never ice fished it before.
Dave

unclebuck
12-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Our indigenous brethren do not like anyone fishing there. For the most part the lake has been netted out by "subsistence" fishermen from the rez across the lake.

igor
12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I had no luck there and I have seen nets set in there during winter time on east side.

DuckBrat
12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Used to be one of Alberta's Great fisheries. Last time I fished there my tires were cut and windows broken.

SNAPFisher
12-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Wow. Let the bsing begin.

Bigfro, you can get sometimes get on at the South launch if they haven't plowed it to death and left the hard drifts on the launch. If you go I would expect that so you may need some shoveling and a good 4x4, but, once your on your golden. I'm talking about the launch were the store is...hope that is what your thinking.

I've had some success on the South side but the North side is better, imo. I bring my sled and head accross. Lots of nice pike and walleye. I've had moderate success with burbs. Small perch only so far but I hear the big ones can be found. Whitefish are as thick as molasses, but, they are also the wormiest whites I have seen. It is a great ice fishing lake. If you make it out chances are you may be the only other angler out there. Lastly, becuase it is a deep lake the ice does not thicken quite as fast as the surrounding lakes.

Guys, one or two nets in the South East side are not going to collapse a lake (I've seen them there plenty of times to). Talk about classic overkill and misinformation.

Good luck and good fishing!

-JR-
12-24-2010, 06:49 AM
The name says it all...Whitefish ! Like snapefish says there is only one place I know how to get on the lake and its right there . main road in, goes directly to the lake . A skido would help if snow is deep , just park on the road and walk out 200 yards from launch and to the right alittle around 5 - 8 feet of water ,white fish seemed to bite better around 3:00 pm when we were there.
Good luck .

bigfro47
12-26-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks for the info, I'm heading out on the 2nd of Jan for my first outing, I;m hoping I can just drive on at main campgroung launch, hopefully someone's ventured out on the lake.

-JR-
12-26-2010, 08:03 PM
there is no main campground launch, just follow the road down the hill ,this road
goes right into the lake .
Good Luck

Brock1
12-27-2010, 06:50 AM
do you need permission from the band to get on the lake to fish? I just looked on google at the lake wow, thats a big lake. looks kinda like calling. a big bowl. must get windy out there. B.

hogsmoker
12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Nope, you don't need permission to fish the lake. I haven't ice fished it in a while, but when we did we caught some nice perch and walleye.

blackonblackfx4
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
do you need permission from the band to get on the lake to fish? I just looked on google at the lake wow, thats a big lake. looks kinda like calling. a big bowl. must get windy out there. B.

The managers of the campsite ( silver birch) are very friendly. No you do not need permission. In fact they were voted lac la biche county's best campsite this summer season.

sirmike68
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
There is a native run campsite on the north end of the lake where they have a few cabins lakeside. I can't remember the name of the place but they are in the local magazines. Kikino something or other. In the summer in the bay where the cabins are I stumbled into a school of perch that were the "humpbacks" in about 20ft of water and limited out in a couple hours. In the middle of the lake there is a "sunken island" as the father-in-law calls it that teams with all sorts of fish. The SE side and SE corner of the lake have very gradual reduction in depth with a sandy bottom. During the summer you can catch big pike in the whole area. Don't be fooled that because there is a reserve on the lake that it is fished out. Generally the natives don't "s&*%T" in thier backyard lake. I have only seen nets on the NW side and have always caught fish there. I have always had good luck at Whitefish and Goodfish during the summer months. Just never tried during the winter because there is never any tracks out on the lake and I'd hate to get stuck.

topgun
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Well fellas only one way to find out! Get a group of interested guys and a date and check it out a buddy of mine rodeos there in the summer and mentioned it was decent fishing then, i would be interested in trying it out

hiddenwalleye
12-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I was just there on Dec 26th and the 27th, the Flood Ice is bad there, accessed the lake at the Kikino Silver Birch Resort, there is a natural spring by the boat lauch which is unreal, it's flowing right over the road into the lake, can't even get close to the launch!!....I have been going there for 15 years and never had any trouble with the people there!!!!

My recommendation: DON"T GO!!!.....It's Trouble with the Ice!!!!

:sign0068: