PDA

View Full Version : no luck with burbot

LacLaBicheNS
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I have tried for burbot twice now.
I used bright jigs (walleye size) tipped with a 2 inch chunk of herring. Stay out about 2 hours after sunset. I was in about 20 feet of water on Lac La Biche. Had a tip up with a chunk of herring on a treble hook right on the bottom.

Not even a nibble.

Just bad luck or am I doing something wrong?

equanuck
12-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I used bright jigs (walleye size) tipped with a 2 inch chunk of herring. Stay out about 2 hours after sunset. I was in about 20 feet of water on Lac La Biche. Had a tip up with a chunk of herring on a treble hook right on the bottom.

Not even a nibble.

Can't help you out with any ideas but hopefully someone can so I can find out as well. I should be back in Canada before ice fishing ends and I'm hoping to hit as many lakes and variety of fish as I can. Missed out on hunting season and looking to catch up on some enjoyment.

Fishfinder
12-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Not even a nibble.

When u say "walleye size" what do u mean? Walleye IMO bite on different size jigs/baits depending on circumstance n depth. So u have a treble hook on a jig? How big is your "chunk" of herring as well? I have only caught about a dozen burb over the past couple years mostly by fluke lol as I do not target them , but all have been caught on single hook, 1-2 ott size, single minnow.
Also caught outta rivers, not lakes, so I am not to sure if that makes much of a difference? Glowstix are an option, if permitted.
Trial n error my friend, lotsa good burb info here on the forum, do a forum search also.
GL!

WayneChristie
12-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Are you deadsticking your jig or jigging it? The burbs Ive caught seem to like motion, maybe it helps them find the bait, they have pretty small eyes, but they do have a good sense of smell.

Fishfinder
12-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Are you deadsticking your jig or jigging it? The burbs Ive caught seem to like motion, maybe it helps them find the bait, they have pretty small eyes, but they do have a good sense of smell.

That being said, most ur pics Wayne, u have quite small eyes too, maybe u are a relative of ling n they just hone on into ur bait:sHa_sarcasticlol: Jk:)kinda:)

LacLaBicheNS
12-23-2010, 07:36 PM
wayne, my tip up was just sitting on the bottom motionless.. But me and my buddy were trying various things with our jigs. Jigged every which way and nothing.

FF- not sure what size of jig I was using. Its the size I usually grab for walleye??? And the bait was about as big as my thumb...

WayneChristie
12-23-2010, 08:24 PM
you can try with a spoon too, with a piece of smelt on the hook. jig or let it sit. kick up the bottom it will help attract the fish.

WayneChristie
12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
That being said, most ur pics Wayne, u have quite small eyes too, maybe u are a relative of ling n they just hone on into ur bait:sHa_sarcasticlol: Jk:)kinda:)

:bad_boys_20: