PDA

View Full Version : Bait at PCR

GrtWht
12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Just finished reading the regs for Pine Coulee, still a little unsure as to what we are allowed to use for "bait". Are you allowed to minnows or only smelts. Was going to take the kids there tomorrow>

Thanks

WayneChristie
12-23-2010, 07:04 PM
both are legal. all you need is smelts though, with quarter ounce jigs, cut them into half inch pieces and you are good to go. might want to take lots

KJPFISH
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I used minnows today - centre punched with a #6 treble hook. The morning was quite slow; only managed 4 small eyes by 12:30 pm. By 4:30 pm I had 18 through the ice, including 2 burbot (both released). It was nice day on the ice. The ice thickness south of the dock area was about 12" and the odd person is driving on - but I wouldn't just yet.

Cheers!

KJPFISH

WayneChristie
12-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Ive tried minnows, and caught squat with them at PCR, but then again I tried small pieces of smelt and caught around 200 eyes on one summer day. I stick to smelts. but if you want small, I buy smelts at Safeway that are as small as minnows, even cut those in 2 or 3 pieces and they work great. you could use them whole but theres no point you could get 3 baits out of it and it works just as good there. All you need is a quarter ounce jig unless you are targetting the pike, then Id upsize. I tried a bigger jig for burbs but didnt catch even one on it, they wanted the smaller glowjigs

tacklerunner
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Fished with minnows and smelts there on the same day with the same results. Didn't seem to make a difference when you're on the fish. Shoulder got stiff after reeling in 100+ eyes. If you're not on large populations of fish, neither will work very well.

Regarding your question about the regs, some people get confused as to what is "baitfish". So whenever it says "bait but not baitfish allowed" smelts are bait, minnows are baitfish. Both are legal at PCR. Spray Lake for eg. prohibits use of "baitfish". Therefore, you can only use smelts and not minnows.

Also, no live fish as bait are allowed in Alberta regardless if they are bait or baitfish.

chubbdarter
12-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Fished with minnows and smelts there on the same day with the same results. Didn't seem to make a difference when you're on the fish. Shoulder got stiff after reeling in 100+ eyes. If you're not on large populations of fish, neither will work very well.

Regarding your question about the regs, some people get confused as to what is "baitfish". So whenever it says "bait but not baitfish allowed" smelts are bait, minnows are baitfish. Both are legal at PCR. Spray Lake for eg. prohibits use of "baitfish". Therefore, you can only use smelts and not minnows.

Also, no live fish as bait are allowed in Alberta regardless if they are bait or baitfish.

good post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrtWht
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, going to head there tomorrow. Any suggestions where to fish these days? Taking the little guys so action of any kind is the name of the game. LOL

WayneChristie
12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
if you can stay a little later, when the sun starts to go down, the burbs should be feeding like crazy. just fish out from the boat launch, dont have to go too far out, and you should get into fish.