PDA

View Full Version : Wifes Rifle

bowman077
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello all,

Looking for a rifle for my wife as a christmas gift. (She will have to use the 270 for another year but she is a tiny thing and even though she won't admit it, it is to much kick for her). Looking for any recommendations on a affordable rifle (sub $600) in 25-06 or 243. I figure with the lower price I can afford to put a good Leupold or Elite scope on it.

Any one have any experience with the Savage Accutrigger?

sheephunter
11-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Savage is great value for the money. A couple things to consider with rifles for small women....

1) Cut or replace the stock to fit. 99% of factory rifles won't fit.
2) Put a good recoil pad on which requires the stock to be cut even shorter.
3) Avoid rifles with lightweight stocks as the rifle becomes very front heavy as you cut the stock shorter. A heavier, wood stock will help balance the rifle better and reduce recoil. Look for a calibre that shoots well out of a shorter barrel as well for the same reasons.
4) .25-06 and 7mm08 would be my first two choices.
5) Single shots are a great option as they are shorter in length overall and typically easier to shoot for a smaller person.

Stinky Coyote
11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
NEF youth single shot in .243, my wife is tiny also, fits her perfect, is still fairly stout/heavy for its short length (chunky) so that also helps with the recoil and the rubber recoil pad is pretty good on them...she has zero problems with that gun and dropped her first buck at 188 yrds on the spot. Its a shooter with federal fusion and winchester ballistic silvertips in 95 grains...like 1/2" if i do my part. My best 3 shot at 100 yrds comes from that gun with fusion ammo...a cloverleaf making one hole. You can put a burris ff2 3-9x40 with bp reticle on it from cambodian tire macleod trail in the south calgary for 250 bucks and i think the gun is under 300 bucks from wholesale/russels...you could be 600 all in? My wife doesn't hunt a bunch, tried it, will do it and has no problems with it, but i think my boy will get more use out of that little rifle later on...great loner too (easy to see and keep safe). If your wife hunts alot then maybe a bolt gun with a few extra rounds at the ready is what your after?...just thought i'd bring it up what i did for mine.

hth

Skinnydipper
11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I bought my 5'2" wife a Savage Weather Warrior .270 WSM and put a Simms pad on it. I was originally concerned with her ability to shoot it with excessive recoil. After the first shooting session with intermittent dummies loaded by me, it was obvious that the recoil did not bother her (she shot it just as well as I did).
I did cut about an inch off the back which was about as much as you could accomplish easily.
It's a super entry level gun and I would definitely recommend it.

elko_blues
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
look at the rem model seven in the CDL smaller gun with the rem r3 recoil pad......only thing is its around 900 bucks!