PDA

View Full Version : Need some help in B.C!!

1shotwade
12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey guys need some help for some ice fishing! Never been to Westbank B.C in winter and got a whole day to myself!! Want to go ice fishing and do not know anything about this area! Does anybody have any ideas or know if the mountain lakes freeze! Any info would surely help!!!!!!!!!!!

Dust1n
12-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys need some help for some ice fishing! Never been to Westbank B.C in winter and got a whole day to myself!! Want to go ice fishing and do not know anything about this area! Does anybody have any ideas or know if the mountain lakes freeze! Any info would surely help!!!!!!!!!!!

all moutain lakes freeze but they may ahve some springs wich causes the ice to weeken or not freeze at all. if your ice fishing set a tip up withh a worm on the lightest setting and jig with a small gold spoon or ice flies work well stick shallow and go aggresive and keep mobile

Pudelpointer
12-25-2010, 03:01 PM
My first reaction to your thread title was "Move", but then I saw you were just visiting.

Check the regulations in the area. Many lakes in BC are closed in the winter. If it is frozen (most of the higher elevation lakes in the area freeze) then go fishing.

Maybe ask at the local fishing shop. Or, hop on BC Outdoors (?) forum, and ask there.

Ishpah
12-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Westbank is no longer. Area is now known as District of West Kelowna (DWK)
Shannon Lake may be open for some icefishing, but the temps are so mild here and with warm water upwellings (springs), the ice may not be safe for that sort of activity. Another alternative would be Rose Valley Dam, but check the regulations for the openings. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1011/fish-synopsis_2010-11_region8.pdf
Hardwater is hard to find in the southern part of the province. If you were PG or Quesnel way, you could pass the day or a week away no problem. But even there the temp is balmy, +9°C and +7°C in the Kamloops area.:shark:

walking buffalo
12-25-2010, 05:57 PM
A fairly short drive right behind you ( heading up and west) is Glen Lake. It's rather small, but some years the brookie fishing is great! I've weighed fish over 6 lbs from there. From the parking area on the west end, walk out through the gap in the reeds. The water is 3-5' deep here, there is a dropoff about 50' farther out. Try shallow right by the reeds and on the dropoff.

It's been a few years since I've fished out there, so check the regs before heading out. It's one of those lakes that gets fished out, then forgotten about. The "forgotten" years can produce big fish. :)