PDA

View Full Version : First time icefishing!!!!

Ormachek
12-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Well the wife and I went out icefishing today with my buddy Mirko who hosted us at lake bonavista. This was the first time icefishing for all three of us and we wound up getting some valuable advice from.....a group of 10-12 year old boys.

We had a great time, first we were in a bad spot, but after a little advice from our new, young friends we moved and had some success. Right after we moved Mirko got the first bite and pulled in a small rainbow. Not too long after he got another, slightly bigger one. Around this point the people around us started catching fish (two for the kids, and two for the other guys, also first timers, near us).

Now at this point I hadn't had so much as a nibble, so I decided to make new hole, not more than 15 feet away. I dropped my line and within 5 minutes had my first of the day.

Trina had been having lots of nibbles but hadn't got anything yet so we switched holes.....almost right away I got a bite out of her old hole but lost the fish with about 4 feet of line to go.

Then it finally happened. Trina got her first fish, not just of the day but of the last 4 years of fishing with me. Biggest trout out of our group(the kids caught a bigger one).

It's safe to say that we're all hooked on hard water fishing and will be out for some more this very weekend!!!
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/ormachek/IphonePics063.jpg
Trina and Mirko fishing
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/ormachek/IphonePics059.jpg
ME!
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/ormachek/IphonePics068.jpg
Trina and her first fish!
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww220/ormachek/IphonePics070.jpg
Mirkos are the two on the bottom,
Mines in the middle, Trinas is second from the top. The one on the top is one of the ones the kids caught that wound up in the picture.

baitfisher83
12-24-2010, 08:30 PM
So jealous, hoping to get out Sunday myself

Alberta Bigbore
12-24-2010, 08:34 PM
looks like a good time. Nice pan fry bows.

gl2
12-24-2010, 08:41 PM
thats what its all about ..... having a good time. Welcome to you new addiction and congrats.

slingshotz
12-25-2010, 10:40 AM
What depth were you at and what were you using? I haven't had the chance yet to get out to the lake and this is my first year in the community. I did ok in the summer with various nymphs but doubt they will work now.

Congrats by the way!

horsetrader
12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Nice catch welcome to the HARD life:)

Geezle
12-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I did ok in the summer with various nymphs but doubt they will work now.

Congrats by the way!

I'd bet you still do okay on them now ;)

Ormachek
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
What depth were you at and what were you using? I haven't had the chance yet to get out to the lake and this is my first year in the community. I did ok in the summer with various nymphs but doubt they will work now.

Congrats by the way!
I can't give you an exact depth but we were 20-30 feet off the island, using small jigs with orange gulp bait. We dropped them right to the bottom and pulled them up a foot or two. We had some nibbles on shrimp too but no bites.

Carson13
12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey!.. ten to twelve year old kids!! I'm 13! :sign0176:

My brother and neighbor were the kids fishing next to you, I was sick today, but my brother and cousin went with my Dad and Uncle.

Heard you were back again today... How'd you make out :)

Carson

Dust1n
12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
im 14......

aulrich
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Whitefish you need to try for whitefish, a few weeks ago I caught my first, to date my funnest icefing day. First ice is one of the peak for them (spawning), In an ice tent you can see them swim by or just sit there with your bait at thier nose for what seems an eternity. You can catch them all winter but they say there is another peak in March when the burbot spawn.

Pencil in first ice whitefish for next year, I going to try and get my wife out for that trip, she does not like winter so ice fishing is a hard sell.

Nationwide
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Well it looks like a fun time thanks for shareing the pics.

Ormachek
12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey!.. ten to twelve year old kids!! I'm 13! :sign0176:

My brother and neighbor were the kids fishing next to you, I was sick today, but my brother and cousin went with my Dad and Uncle.

Heard you were back again today... How'd you make out :)

Carson

Hey!!! I apologize about the age, I'm pretty bad at guessing ages... We wound up with four again today. We had a ton of bites that we failed to bring in though. Best of which was the one that started to pull my rod down the hole, I managed a nice headfirst dive to grab the end of the handle before it went under. He felt big, was putting up a nice fight....then he broke the line.

Thanks for the tips the other day!! We probably wouldn't have got anything at all without your advice!

savage7mm
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey!!! I apologize about the age, I'm pretty bad at guessing ages... We wound up with four again today. We had a ton of bites that we failed to bring in though. Best of which was the one that started to pull my rod down the hole, I managed a nice headfirst dive to grab the end of the handle before it went under. He felt big, was putting up a nice fight....then he broke the line.

Thanks for the tips the other day!! We probably wouldn't have got anything at all without your advice!

was your drag set?

Ormachek
12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
was your drag set?

Yup, I got him right up to the hole, then grabbed the line with my hand to pull him out, thats when it broke. My hand ain't got no drag. It was my fault, should have played him longer to tire him out more.

slingshotz
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah you have to be careful handlining there, I had a chance to play with my new underwater camera at the lake and I saw some pretty good sized fish in there, along with some big suckers! Not Sundance sized rainbows but definitely big enough to suck your rod down the hole. I'm thinking next year I just might do some diving around the island and stock up on rods and stuff :)

Seems like four is the magic number, that's how many we managed on Boxing day too but again tons of fish nipping at the lure and lots of missed hookups. We used pink power bait on a yellow jighead. I tried worms and maggots but didn't get too much interest.