PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Catch on the Bow

brianscott
12-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Was flyfishing Fish creek area today.

I was nymphing when the indicator went under, water was shallow so I figured it was a weed bed.
Set the hook anyways and the rod bent over but did not budge, no headshake no nothing.

Oh great a log or caught in the rocks, i thought.
Tightened the drag and hammered on the rod to break the line, well that when all hell broke loose.

Line screams out of the reel and the fish heads for deeper water, after fighting it for about 5 mins and not seeing it I was beginning to wonder what the hell i had hooked.

I guided the fish in around some icebergs floating down the river got it in shallow and dipped in my net.

To my suprise I had just landed the biggest burbot I had ever caught.
Thick and heavy, it taped out a 33 inches

I have heard of the 20/20 club, I might have to make a new category for this one

33inch burb on a size 16 green flashback, was quite a workout for my 5 weight ST. Croix

Pics to come tonight

chubbdarter
12-26-2010, 05:09 PM
some big azz suckers take a nymph also.....pretty good fight.
in the lower bow the quill back sucker is a better fight than any trout

rocky97
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
thats awsome wat a catch do u have any pictures of that hog

fishstix
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
some big azz suckers take a nymph also.....pretty good fight.
in the lower bow the quill back sucker is a better fight than any trout

No sucker fights like a rainbow trout.

FOTW
12-26-2010, 07:58 PM
The bow is DEAD.....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

brianscott
12-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Heres the beast from today, real dark coloring.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/DSCF1757.jpg

Pain in the azz to land with that small net.
Conveniently the guy i was meeting with showed up after i had landed this ugly thing

and heres a nice healthy bow I had landed 5 mins earlier
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/DSCF1755.jpg

FOTW
12-26-2010, 11:27 PM
That is a nice fish, Where abouts it there to go near fish creek that is open and good for fly fishing?

brianscott
12-26-2010, 11:34 PM
You can gain access to the Bow @ any bridge crossing the river basically
Fish Creek can be accessesd 2 ways, Bow Bottom trail or the Sikome lake access road

Basically its all decent fishing there if you havre the right nymph and can get them down to the fish in the deeper holes

Guitarplayingfish
12-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Thats awesome man!!! Headin fly-fishin tomorrow actually. Thanks for sharing!

slingshotz
12-27-2010, 12:12 AM
No sucker fights like a rainbow trout.

I'd disagree, I caught a redfin sucker on the RDR one year on my 4wt that took a bloody long time to land as it was huge and sometimes wouldn't budge or go screaming off to the other side of the river like a freight train. I've caught a lot of large trout that do a couple head shakes and then I've had to reel them in like a dead log (and no they weren't dead).

If you meant they fight differently than a trout then yes I'd agree with that but either one can put up a better fight in different conditions.

However, that is an awesome catch on the fly rod, I've still have yet to catch a burb on the fly.

chubbdarter
12-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Heres the beast from today, real dark coloring.
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/DSCF1757.jpg

Pain in the azz to land with that small net.
Conveniently the guy i was meeting with showed up after i had landed this ugly thing

and heres a nice healthy bow I had landed 5 mins earlier
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr229/brianscott1986/DSCF1755.jpg

congrats nice fish
p.s. i know how everyone on here likes to eat ling......but bow river ling eat maxi pads and boneless browns....i dont recomeend fish and chipping that one

Tony_S
12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
yep....Ive caught...don't really know, 6 or 8 Burbot over the years in the Bow and a few more Suckers than that. All unintentional and all during the winter. I don't fly fish and during the winter I'll typically be bouncing some big azz marabou jigs slowly along the bottom. If memory serves....most of them were caught in the deeper holes.
I don't recall ever catching one that size though.....nice!

ps...was there yesterday (morning) for a couple of hours as well, across from Fish Creek Park. Released 2 nice rainbows myself!

zabbo
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Nice boxing day christmas present! May have to get out there myself instead of the hardwater thing.

greylynx
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I know this question has been asked a bzillion times, but how do you keep the ice out of the guides?

I am open to any new method.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishfinder
12-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice work brianscott, flyfishing in the midst of winter...gotta love it. Sure paid off for you, enjoy ur catch! The unexpected ones are the best, also setting up and hooking into fishies on first cast of day is also great too! Keep up the fine work!
Thanx for sharing!:)

brianscott
12-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Fish during a chinook...lol

Thats the only answer I have, I usually de ice the guides pretty regularly.

I havent found a way to keep the guides clear yet besides the good old fashioned pick and flick method.

fishstix
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Try dipping your rod in the water and then shakeing it.

Buck Krazy
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, thought that was u, I was the guy walking the huge black lab and the little ****-zu...

Nice fish too. I have a buddy that works for the fire department and they do dives in the deep holes in the bow around the zoo, there is a ling there that they call lingzilla. Apparently well over 40" long and easily 20lbs.