PDA

View Full Version : PCR Dec 26

aulrich
12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
The day started out as a trip to try out Mcgregor but somewhere between leaving home and getting into wholesale it switched to going to PCR for wally's and burbs.

We rolled in about 1:00 to our usual spot the south west bay. and for a while we did not get a bite. So we repositioned closer the outflow still no bites. It was getting colder so skunkboy went and got the tent. When we popped the tent we were surprised we could just see the bottom and there were fish down there. We we then able to trigger a couple of bites but landed nothing.

Till dark

I landed the first on a glow jig with a minnow, then soon after Skunk gets one on a glow tube tipped with just a minnow head. Then skunk pulls a bit of a sneek. He goes dad I cold could you get the heater. And while I navigate the now really slick ice, he ices 4 more. Over the next while we ice 4 or 5 more and a wally. Then the wind really pickes up and let me tell you getting the tent down in the wind on really slick ice in the dark with two little led laterns was more excitment then I really want :) I need ice cleats

One thing I noticed is the glow jig heads don't hold the glow very long where as the tube jug really glows well. To get over that I bit a chunk off another tube and added it to the jig head, that helped alot. Are there glow twister tails?

baitfisher83
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes there are glow twister tails...you can usually find them in bulk bins for maybe 40 cents a piece..sometimes they're sold in packs depending on which place you go to

goldscud
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Quite the wind out there. The kids I was with started a new sport. Sit in the toboggan, use a 2'x3' plastic lid for a sail....and off you go. They would zip off for hundreds of yards. My buddy (who weighs in around 230lb), even went for a big ride. A little water on top of the ice made it very slippery. We found the fish were not quite as active as 2 weeks when it was non-stop.

aulrich
12-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Yea I was very surprised by the lack of action, I was going to pack up early but when we saw the fish we had to try and figure out how to trigger them.

The burb's were a hoot, good fighters, hard to imagine 20 years ago smashing them on the head and leaving them on the ice (man we were bone heads back then). I would love to tangle with a bigger one.

I'll have to try to get a meals worth from a lake that is not so toxic, years ago I buddy fried one up at the time I thought he was on glue because he actually brought one back, I remember it tasted very good.

WayneChristie
12-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Yea I was very surprised by the lack of action, I was going to pack up early but when we saw the fish we had to try and figure out how to trigger them.

The burb's were a hoot, good fighters, hard to imagine 20 years ago smashing them on the head and leaving them on the ice (man we were bone heads back then). I would love to tangle with a bigger one.

I'll have to try to get a meals worth from a lake that is not so toxic, years ago I buddy fried one up at the time I thought he was on glue because he actually brought one back, I remember it tasted very good.

what time did you fish til? Im munching on one of those burbs I smoked right now, and it is AWESOME! wouldnt eat any organ meat from them tho

LacLaBicheNS
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
what time did you fish til? Im munching on one of those burbs I smoked right now, and it is AWESOME! wouldnt eat any organ meat from them tho

Ya, what time of night? And what depth?

Still trying to ice my first burb. Well I haven't gone for them in awhile but I will be soon..

pikester
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
OOps!

aulrich
12-28-2010, 09:53 AM
We got off the ice at 7:30 so we probably stopped fishing 7:pm, my sounder is still frozen in my boat the first spot we started if I remember from summer with the holes we had dug we would have been in 15 to mid 30s, we drilled at least 10 holes.

The second spot we were in maybe 15' we also drilled a few deeper I can't remember if we got a bite off of them.

If it was just me I would take a meal from PCR, but with kids I don't want to risk it, especially if there are other options. So fo that reason PCR is my fun fishing lake, so I play it C&R, all of the fun none of the gutting, that and instill into the boys though there is nothing wrong with taking some fish to eat your better off putting most of them back.

trouty
12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
We got off the ice at 7:30 so we probably stopped fishing 7:pm, my sounder is still frozen in my boat the first spot we started if I remember from summer with the holes we had dug we would have been in 15 to mid 30s, we drilled at least 10 holes.

The second spot we were in maybe 15' we also drilled a few deeper I can't remember if we got a bite off of them.

If it was just me I would take a meal from PCR, but with kids I don't want to risk it, especially if there are other options. So fo that reason PCR is my fun fishing lake, so I play it C&R, all of the fun none of the gutting, that and instill into the boys though there is nothing wrong with taking some fish to eat your better off putting most of them back.

the burbs in there should be put back they are too small to be worth taking.

aulrich
12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Glow jigs I suspect are key to this every 5 min or so I would recharge with one of these

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_318961_999_01?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Wader-Accessories%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103897080/Loon-Outdoors-UV-Mini-Lamp/744516.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootw ear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-wader-accessories%2F_%2FN-1101203%2FNo-48%3FWTz_stype%3DGNP

Got mine at wholesale.

WayneChristie
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
the burbs in there should be put back they are too small to be worth taking.

when was the last time you caught one there?

aulrich
12-28-2010, 10:13 AM
What's a "keeper" for burb?

For pike I like 24" or min size to 30" the theory behind that is big enough to have spawend once and not too big that it would be pretty much always female.

So the same sort of idea would be ideal.

Mcgregor is next on the hit list I assume that they are there, though I have not checked the reg about night time fishing there.

madatter
12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Never caught a big burb out of there.....they all seem to be about the same size...
If I had to guess I'd say average 22"

madatter
12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Never caught a big burb out of there.....they all seem to be about the same size...

That may be on the high side tho....

aulrich
12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Did some digging, and it seems 18" is the magic number for first spawn. so I am thinking 20" ish as a minimum size.

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Mac or pcr?