PDA

View Full Version : Hand vs Power Augers

FishingFrenzy
12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey everyone, Lately ive spent alot of time looking into different augers, both hand and power and i wanna put the question out there: Which is better; One of the better hand augers or a power auger? Now obviously each is better in its own situation (early ice vs late ice, the list goes on) but the reason im asking is because i need a new auger of some sort, right now ive got a old swedebore that im trying too shim to get it to cut right with no success. Im looking at getting either a Finbore III or Lazer hand auger OR one of the lower priced power augers. I start icefishing when theres around 8inchs of ice and go out at LEAST once every two weeks but more like once per week. Im not big into driving on the ice but i will once theres 20" or more. So for the most part i walk or snowmobile onto lakes. All i need is a 6 inch auger, i dont catch many 30lbers :mad0100::sHa_sarcasticlol:. So im asking you, fellow icefisherman, what do YOU like and WHY do you like it so much?

Also if any one has ever timed how long it takes per hole with their auger i like hearing those kind of numbers

Tight lines!

lifesaflyin
12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I like my 8" swede bore. keep the blades sharp and it will never let me down....unlike a power auger. i have herniated disks in my back and i can still drill 14" of ice pretty quick. its way lighter than a power auger, and takes less space in my sleigh. i really dont think i'll ever buy a power auger. but im more of a sit and fish type. i might drill 2 or 3 holes a day, i dont move around too much.

SonnyJ
12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
A power auger is a life saver..

cause if I have to use a hand auger I will surely die of a heart attack..

Trey
12-28-2010, 12:22 AM
we usually run (at the maximum) 4 guys 4 quads, and 2 gas augers and usually fish one spot for a few hours and hit another. drilling a minimum of around 8 or 10 holes a spot (wether they get used or not) and moving to around 3 or 4 spots a day. sun up to sun down. so after drilling anywhere from 30 to 40 holes. a hand auger is not practical with the group i go with

bloopbloob
12-28-2010, 12:29 AM
two guys on a hand auger is actually very quick, took maybe 30s today for me and my dad to drill through 16" of ice with our 8" swedebore hand auger. Using 2 people really helps, as when one is on the backhand pull, the other is pushing, so it never really slows down. probably would take me 3+ min on my own.

New Hunter Okotoks
12-28-2010, 01:05 AM
The nice thing with a power auger is the ease at which you can move to a new location. I found it hard to convince myself to move to a different part of the lake after hand drilling holes. With a power auger, just haul up the lines and let's go!

deanmc
12-28-2010, 04:10 AM
I like the power auger. I like to move around and drill a lot of holes.

Kim473
12-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Go power auger, you will be much happier in the long run. I can drill 6 holes in 24" of ice in about 5 mins and if the fish are not there move and drill another 12 and I still got energy to fish. Something like, What good is fishing out of a boat if you can't untie it from the dock. Don't limit yourself. You might get that old hand one working then your good to go in all conditions. If you go power, read all the threads for maintanance of them, it will last more than 10 years if you keep it up.

Geezle
12-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Well, after thorne drilled about 10-12 holes - enough for everybody in the group in less than 5 minutes, I'm pretty sold on the idea of getting a power auger. Very little effort required, and very fast compared to the hand job.

Also, we discovered yesterday that a hand auger through thick ice can be a pain when you start getting down there and you're all hunched over trying to keep drilling. We honestly could have used an extension on the hand auger, if for nothing else, then to save our backs. It did still get the job done though.

I'll definitely be looking into a power auger for next season (I've spent enough money on fishing stuff already this hardwater season :o)

I think the better question would be comparing different power augers at different price points. :)

Kim473
12-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Well, after thorne drilled about 10-12 holes - enough for everybody in the group in less than 5 minutes, I'm pretty sold on the idea of getting a power auger. Very little effort required, and very fast compared to the hand job.

Also, we discovered yesterday that a hand auger through thick ice can be a pain when you start getting down there and you're all hunched over trying to keep drilling. We honestly could have used an extension on the hand auger, if for nothing else, then to save our backs. It did still get the job done though.

I'll definitely be looking into a power auger for next season (I've spent enough money on fishing stuff already this hardwater season :o)

I think the better question would be comparing different power augers at different price points. :)

Well said Geezle.
I remember two of us on a 6" hand auger drilling in 3 ft of ice on our knees. You did'nt want to drill more than 4 holes in a day. And were gonna have 3 ft of ice this year.

tacklerunner
12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Personally with a group of 3 for example we end up drilling no less than a dozen holes and the ice is often 20" - 30" thick so I couldn't do it with a hand auger; 10" holes to boot. However, a hand auger starts every time! If you like to move around and explore and drill many holes in thick ice, you save valuable time with a power auger. If your line's not in the water you can't catch a fish.

I've seen reviews on all brands of augers and every brand has supporters and skeptics. There are some great deals on power augers right now and if you can spend a few hundred bucks you'll be happy. I would advise getting an 8" auger though as they seem to be the standard now and you should have it for life and it will be good for all applications and all species of fish in North America.

Thinking long term, I think you'll be happier with a power auger and remember as we get older, using a hand auger doesn't get any easier.

aulrich
12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
I think every one should at least have an armstrong, for back up and times when you have to travel light. Last year I downsized from 8" to 6" it made a big difference with effort. Like you I have made my big purchace of the year it was a tent and I am glad I did that one first, skunkboy is getting better at cutting holes :).

When I do go get my ower auger it wil likely be a jiffy 8".

handicap
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a 15 yr old Jiffy (6") and it is awesome never let me down and I can drill a hole in about 10-15 secs I drill anywhere from 50-100 holes every time im out and I have lots of energy at the end of the day..When I use the hand auger I only drill 10 holes max and I am reluctant to move to a new location if the fishing is slow..You all know if your not catching perch pack up and move to see if you can locate them..I also have the 6 man pop up tent and it is awesome set up in 60 secs,take down in 2 min so it is easy to move around...
Very good investment it rocks

dragon
12-28-2010, 10:53 AM
The best advice I ever got fishing is you can't catch fish if your hooks not in the water...

For me its 2 holes for tip ups two holes for fishing one for the camera so 5 holes min....

The more time you have your line in the water the better chance you get a fish.

trkrstu
12-28-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm new to ice fishing, compared to others. I bought a power auger when I started. I enjoy the power, it does an 8 inch hole and it's very easy to put new holes when the fish go slow. I just this year bought a hand auger 6 inch, it's not hard so far. The ice is not that thick so far, so it's not that hard. I got the hand power because it was easier to have on the sled that I was pulling. With the snow this year it's going to be difficult to drive on the lake so depending on your conditions decides the tool you use. If you go power or hand, there are good and bad. I have both now and I can chose or take both. Early ice I'm going to be using the hand one and if I can drive on the lake I will use the power one. The hand one cost me 50 bucks and the power one cost me 180 on sale, got lucky on that one. If you walk more then drive I put the hand one being better, but if you have a ride power is the one

Guitarplayingfish
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Ive sported a hand auger for as long as I can remember... UNTIL YESTERDAY! When it cuts, it cuts good but I just replaced the blades on the hand auger and it wont cut worth ****... I go out like 2-3 times a week and the hand auger just doesnt do it for me... You run into some sand or gravel in the ice and your hooped for the day... spend an hour trying to get 1 hole. Also, i seem to be the only one big and strong enough to use the hand auger I have so im usually so tired by the time i drill everyones hole. Bought a 300$ eskimo 8 inch power auger... drillled 4 holes in like 3 minutes. I love this power auger, and I don't plan on going back to hand auger.

newchipper
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't mind a hand auger, and used one for years, but got a power auger last year, and found that it has made me a better fisherman. I don't hesitate to move if the fishing is slow, where I used to make myself be content where I put the work in to make holes. I also went from a 6" hole with the hand auger to 10" with the power one. I do not require the bigger hole, but for those of us that enjoy watching and sight fishing, it does make a difference. All that being said though, my old hand one is usually in the truck for fear the power one decides to take a day off...

Zippbuster
12-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I have both....power is easier but takes up room for sure....if ice is less than 24" and your only going to drill a few holes go hand and get some exercise...or if ice is greater than "24 inches and you think you may drill lots...power... because a hernia is likely no fun...spend $400 bucks on a PA once and have it for the rest of your life.

thorne
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Yep I used to buck my chin up at power augers...noisy, lazy, heavey peices of crap that nevert start when u need them...messing around with mixing gas....blah, blah, blah...Yep I wa jealous. Then 2 years ago I got one. 2HP Jiffy Stealth...Boy what the hell was I thinking befor! It has never failed me. 1 tank lasts several trips, alot lighter then one would think and using synthetic 100:1 it fricken rocks through the ice....first hole is slowest, but after the gear grease gets warmed up...man does it chew fast with an 8" bit. I never hesitate to grab it and set off across the ice and chew out 10-20 holes in a search pattern to get a good feel for whats going on. If its a slow day I can keep moving all over and drill as many holes as I want, you will never get as tired carrying the auger as you will drilling holes with a manual one. When the ice is thick enough to drive, you just throw it in, drive around to all you favpurite spots, punch a few holes, try and fly if nothing is around...and don't even start with the "on the knees, in 3 feet of ice" crap that deal just sucks...especially if its -30 to boot. Yep did the hand crank for 14 years or so..never again! So when you get the chance grab one! There really is no comparison. I would take my Power auger over my sonar or camera when it comes to ice fishing!

SonnyJ
12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Went to wally world and bought an Eskimo Mako 8 inch auger this evening,can't wait to try it out tomorrow...woohoo..:sHa_shakeshout: