PDA

View Full Version : Chump lake

crazyperch
12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been up to chump lake yet this year?
I'm wondering how the fishing is and how thick the ice is

Thanks

crazyperch
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
We me and a buddy made it out to chump lake yesterday.
we were out a couple hundred yards from the provincial park and the ice is about 12" thick with about 8" of snow.
we caught a lot of tiny perch and 7 pike with one pig that snapped my line.

on the way out to chump we stop to check out if anyone was on long lake and there were a few trucks out on the lake, but im thinking that it is still a little to early to be driving out.

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Nice report. Was there any one fishing out by the island? There is a off road back road that will take you to the other side of the lake, nice open area for a weekend, and easy access to the lake if you got sleds, or quads

crazyperch
01-03-2011, 08:47 AM
it actually didnt look like anyone has even been out to chump fishing yet this year. from where we were we didnt see anyone on the lake and just a couple ski-doo tracks.

dryflyguy
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Was out at Chump Saturday with some buddies. No tracks onto the lake (except our same tracks from NY Eve day), not even ski-doo. Made it down the boat launch without difficulty but walked on. About 200 yards out, found about 2-3" of flood water under the snow. Got all set up around 10am and the rip-cord snapped on the auger. Great. Had to go into Boyle for the right size Allen Key but finally got the motor back in working order. Finally got fishing, about 12:30, and tied into some decent perch, biggest being around 8-10". Saw tons of them on the cam but they were very picky, not a whole lot of bites. Buddy eventually got a nice jack, just under keeper-size. I really like that lake and plan on exploring it a lot more in the future. Didnt take measurements, but I would estimate around 16" of snow on top of 12-14" of ice. We fished in approx. 10-15 feet of water.