PDA

View Full Version : PCR tonight

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Well I cant believe it, even Enchant was dead slow today, maybe 20 perch between 2 of us. Saw lots but they all had lockjaw. I figured since we were already a third of the way to PCR might as well catch some burbs. Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, got set up and comfy and started catching burbs. Action was slow compared to weekend before last, but we did manage maybe 50 or 60 between 5 and midnight. Wind was gusting, but not too bad, and the snow started flying just before we packed up. Lots of fun, we had 6 or 7 double headers, quite a few 3 pounders and lots of smaller ones. I caught a weird one, only spots on it were on the back of its head, the rest just grey.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/1228002201a.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/1228002201.jpg

goldscud
12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
That's a strange colored Burb Wayne. How deep were you fishing?
Last time we were out we caught a few 10-12" guys. Did you ever get any of these tiny Burbs?

aulrich
12-29-2010, 08:57 AM
10" - 12" I wonder when the last stocking was, It would be a good sign if those were natural spawn.

madatter
12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Was going to head out there today but not with this weather....
Maybe tomorrow!
Wayne you ever work?:)

madatter
12-29-2010, 09:02 AM
10" - 12" I wonder when the last stocking was, It would be a good sign if those were natural spawn.

Were burbs even stocked?
Never read any stocking reports stating pike or burbs stocked,just the walleye.
Speaking of the walleye are they re-producing?
Every one vie caught of there seems to about the same size....

madatter
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/Content/D/9/7/D976DAB0-2041-4C77-A6E8-A75407D0ABDA/pineco_e.pdf

Must be bored,dug this up.
Walleye are the only stocked fish by the sounds of this,everything else comes from Willow Creek.
Fishery discussion starts on p.88

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Im lucky enough to be off work this week, Lieu days and such :sHa_shakeshout: I did catch a burb by the bridge last winter that was only about 6 inches, still fought like a big fish tho. The eyes are never going to get bigger unless they stock some food for them, been fishng there 2 years and only caught a few that have grown any at all. I actually caught one last night, first one in the last 2 trips which is odd, I guess the pike are starting to make an impact. And the poachers probably. Im finding the burbs are double the size of last winter, for the most part. Hope the trend keeps up. The snow started pretty hard when we were leaving, and now its caught up to us at home, not supposed to get more than a couple centimeters here but its snowing sideways.

baitfisher83
12-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thats a weird lookin fish Wayne, we only managed 2 walleye and 2 burbs....just small guys too.....hopefully next time will be better

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Thats a weird lookin fish Wayne, we only managed 2 walleye and 2 burbs....just small guys too.....hopefully next time will be better

Were you pounding the bottom or letting the bait lay still? we got most with lots of action on the jigs. we ended up sitting over a big rock too, maybe they were hanging around it. Again they were attacking the fishcam, couldnt keep it lined up with the baits, but we could tell when one came by because the camera would swing around and then all you could see was clouds of silt.

aulrich
12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I would have never guessed willow creek could have had pike and burbot in it ya learn something new every day.

I wonder why they are waiting to introduce a prey spiecies do they want to see if the wallys spawn first.

Then if they do what do you introduce perch are probably the least desirable since they are talking about fish migration. I don't know if there is enough deep water for lake whitefish. Rockies would be interesting since they are supposed to be there anyway but is there proper spawning habitat for them.

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Burb on cam
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/008.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/016.jpg

oddball
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/022.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/021.jpg

Thanks for your old smelts Terry the burbs loved them :)
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/023.jpg

I also gave shrimp a try, and caught burbs on them as well. They all went back this time, so the oddball one is still swimming around for someone else to get.

marlin1
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
the burbs ok to eat out of there , I've heard not really recommended. Not really sure though

karolko
12-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone was planning on going out to PCR tomorrow night or the night of January 1? I am planning on going there, but i have never fished this place and am unsure of where to start for Burbot.

Thanks Everyone,

Adrian Karolko

aulrich
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
There is no shortage of access points.

I typically fish the south west bay betweem the dam and the outflow.
Lots of folks fishing the the shore on the other side of the dam from there.
The boat launch area.
The bridge (though that area spooks me due to the open water in the center)

There is probably more but thats what I have identified.

Depths 15"-30" Glow jig, tipped (minnow, smelt, etc) stay close to the bottom (bounce on the bottom lots) probably want to stay 18" of the bottom.

karolko
12-29-2010, 01:49 PM
All the Burbot fishing i have done has mainly been leaving smelts on the bottom, not jigging. Who knew.

How far out do you typically need to go off the shoreline before you hit those depths. I do not have any of the fancy tools and i only use a hand auger so making 30 holes would suck.

Also how thick is the ice there? Thick enough to drive on? I am not using a tent, so the truck would be the best thing for keping warm.

Adrian

aulrich
12-29-2010, 02:07 PM
The banks are all pretty steep 20 to 50 yards from shore. the bay I fish is the "beach" so they must have trucked in some sand.

The ice is easy 16" I don't know if folks drive on at all but I only "found" PCR last ice, last winter.

karolko
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me why people are saying not to eat fish from PCR? I have heard conflicting things about it, and am looking for some clarification.

Adrian

jts1
12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I am not sure. Someone will have an answer for you. Myself and most I have fished with down there have had a belly full of Burb more than once. Its a matter of opinion but I am still normal..

iliketrout
12-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Its a matter of opinion but I am still normal..

You're just asking for abuse by posting that :fighting0030:

aulrich
12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Mercury is always an issue in a new res., in the regs. PCR has a mercury advisory right now, though they only mention pike and walleye. I guess if you are an adult male your golden.

AK47
12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Some of the fish in wild may have some pigmentary abnormalities... like albino and lutino. OP's burbot has some part of it... cool fish but not as pretty as lutino in picture here - very very rare specimen.

http://i56.tinypic.com/11awmkw.jpg

baitfisher83
12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
You're just asking for abuse by posting that :fighting0030:

He only has a slight glow :lol:

Shiami
12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Some of the fish in wild may have some pigmentary abnormalities... like albino and lutino. OP's burbot has some part of it... cool fish but not as pretty as lutino in picture here - very very rare specimen.

Just a personal opinion...

... but that is the prettiest fish I've seen in alberta! Dunno where you got the photo from, but I do hope that wonderful mutant got put back from whence he came... I'd love to run into one of his grandkids someday! (Disclaimer: I'm fond of odd things. :D )

aulrich
12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Reminds me of the old addage don't eat the yellow snow

cool looking fish

Dust1n
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM

caught in sylvan lak. but it have also caught some pitch black outasylvan also so blue walleye

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Ive eaten some of the burbs from PCR, no probs, but I wont eat organ meat from them. and not too often either. you dont need to get fancy, go about 100 feet or so or even less from the launch drill one hole and fish it all night, they move around a lot. Ive eaten some of the burbs from....oh I mentioned that. Im almost as normal as JTS1. (ALMOST)!!!!! Love that yellow burb, somthing like that Id consider getting mounted. Ive seen a blue pike caught close to home also.

karolko
12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmmm i would assume that since the regulations have an advisory for pike and walleye in PCR then Burbot would apply as well.

I wonder if anyone could personally send in meat to sample for Murcury at a local lab.

I have heard about the murcury levels being slightly elevated south of the Water treatment plant in Calgary, but higher levels of Murcry in newer resivoirs...Hmmm That doesn't sound right.

Adrian

baitfisher83
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
the MERCURY level is a common advisory in Alberta....I've eaten fish out of pcr as well....you just gotta eat it in moderation......And don't be afraid of the nightlight glow the fish are giving off :lol:

2big4u
12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
We were in the Trailer just off the launch last night, Fishing was steady but not as fast as the past couple of trips, still managed 50+ on Monday night and about 40 last night between our kids. ( we were too busy baiting and untangling line to fish.) We had dinners both nights of fresh bur and beer batter. Just awesome. May get out next week too.

karolko
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
I worked in Uranium exploration for three years so the glowing fish i can deal with :) I guess i am off to PCR tomorrow night.

Adrian

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
We were in the Trailer just off the launch last night, Fishing was steady but not as fast as the past couple of trips, still managed 50+ on Monday night and about 40 last night between our kids. ( we were too busy baiting and untangling line to fish.) We had dinners both nights of fresh bur and beer batter. Just awesome. May get out next week too.

looked like a great setup! how does the wind affect it?

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Im thinking we will be ringing in the New Year Friday night on the ice same area.

2big4u
12-30-2010, 06:44 PM
The wind is not a factor at all. The skirt around it keeps most of the wind out and we have tubes for the holes that run from the ice to about 2" above the
floor. There were 5 of us sleeping in it so it was plenty warm. If you ever see it out and about swing in for a coffee or soup, it's always on.

npauls
12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Wayne, You are killing me. There would be nothing better then getting out on the ice to ring in the new year. I just got told that my back injury is getting worse not better so I have alot longer to wait then I originally thought. I am pretty much living my ice fishing life through this site these days.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Nate, might make you feel a little better to hear the fishing sucks lately, at least in the big lakes. But then, bad fishing at PCR is still good most days :sHa_shakeshout: I figure instead of waking up with a hangover Saturday I will just wake up tired from the 2 hour drive home, but well worth it. Love those feisty burbs. Going to go lighter on the equipment this time and get even more fight out of them.

karolko
12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Wayne, i will be out at PCR tomorrow night to ring in the new year with you. I am going to go to Badger Lake in the morning and then show up aroud 4-5pm at PCR. I am in a burgundy Chevy Blazer.

I hope to see you out there. I plan on starting out by the boat launch or the Southwest corner. \where will you be and what does you setup look like?

I hope you like champange too :)

npauls
12-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Well if I can talk anyone in to it I may just try to make the trip out there with you guys. Even if the fishing sucks, it sucks even more laying on the floor at home for 3 weeks straight. I can get out fishing I just can't lift or carry anything really. So my normal run and gun routine won't be used for quite awhile. If I do get out it will be the old style sitting in one spot for quite awhile and try to get the fish to come to me instead of finding the fish.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 09:55 PM
We will be in a black tent with yellow doors just off the boat launch. Nate you dont have to move at all, you can even drive out to the spot, we just drill 2 holes and sit tight, the burbs move around a lot, and come by in waves it seems, just pound the bottom and they will find you. the later it gets the bigger they get, mostly. Hope you can make it so we can finally meet up. I will drill holes for you so no worries about that.

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Wayne, i will be out at PCR tomorrow night to ring in the new year with you. I am going to go to Badger Lake in the morning and then show up aroud 4-5pm at PCR. I am in a burgundy Chevy Blazer.

I hope to see you out there. I plan on starting out by the boat launch or the Southwest corner. \where will you be and what does you setup look like?

I hope you like champange too :)

It will be nice to meet some more members for sure. We usually fish Clear for pike on the way, since its only 20 minutes from PCR then head there before dark to get set up. At least then when Clear sucks as it has been lately we can catch lots of burbs to make up for it.

karolko
12-30-2010, 10:48 PM
wanye and nate, I will see you guys tomorrow. It will nice to meet you guys and smash some burbot!!!

i plan on showing up around 4-4:30 and i will find you guys down around the boat launch.

Do the burbot bit on shrimp as well, or are smelts the main weapon of choice?

Adrian

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I usually use pieces of smelt, but tried shrimp a couple nights ago and caught them on that as well. I saved the turkey innards and going to give those a shot as well, just for the heck of it. You only need maybe a 1 inch piece of smelt, we just chop them up. They do like glow jigs too.

npauls
12-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Hey Wayne, I won't be driving on the ice at all. I don't move around when I night fish either I just set up in a spot and try to attract some fish. The only thing is I can't unload and load back up my hut and gear due to my injury. I am trying to talk someone into coming with me but so far isn't working all that well.

As for stuff to use. Those fish will bite on pretty much anything with meat. I have found that glow jigs with a full minnow is the best thing though. It seems to get alot more attention then anything else does.

Nate

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Nate if you can get someone to help you load up I can unload for you at the lake, no worries. you have my cell number ?

chubbdarter
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
as added attraction wayne will be wearing a hairy outfit with fake boobs.....lol

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
as added attraction wayne will be wearing a hairy outfit with fake boobs.....lol

hey theres no sillycone in these hooters!!! :bad_boys_20:

npauls
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM
My big hut is already loaded in the truck it would just be my chairs and gear that I would need to load. The hut is pretty heavy but should be manageable. I think you seen it last time we were at pcr and met. The big plywood one with the green tarp that folds flat.

I don't seem to have your number in my phone like I thought I did. I will post on here before I leave tomorrow if I end up getting to go.

nate

WayneChristie
12-30-2010, 11:18 PM
senilty sucks, I remember a shack with a green tarp but not who was in it :sHa_sarcasticlol: I will pm you my number again.

npauls
12-30-2010, 11:31 PM
The good thing about me heading out alone is that I have a ton of room in the home made shack for all my gear and to move around.

I was also invited to hit travers on saturday morning so I will have to see what my plans are like. I will probably only be able to hit one spot this weekend and then let the back rest for awhile.

Nate

karolko
12-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Hey guys I am sitting at badger lake right now and I have a bait emergency.I left the bag of smelts outside last night and a friggin cat got to them last Night. Anyways I was wondering if I could buy some bait off of you guys or if anyone could pick me up a package if they are heading out for bait themselves. Does anyone know if I can buy bait in Vulcan?

ORV
12-31-2010, 09:12 AM
should be able to.
they have a small fishing section with bait at the esso? on
the left hand side going north when you come into vulcan.
been a couple years but i think the petro can sells some as well.

orv.

WayneChristie
12-31-2010, 09:32 AM
You can buy bait at the Esso, yes, if they dont have any I have a ton of smelts, I will bring some along to PCR just in case. Dont freeze out there, Weather Network says minus 29 at Stavely right now, supposed to go up to minus 12 and sunny with 5 K winds this afternon, sounds like its going to be a good day. It will be slow for the burbs til the sun goes down probably, they dont like sunshine, but maybe the wallys will be active.

karolko
12-31-2010, 01:35 PM
The weather here could freeZe the nuts off a bridge. So far I have only landed one slew shark.

chubbdarter
12-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey guys I am sitting at badger lake right now and I have a bait emergency.I left the bag of smelts outside last night and a friggin cat got to them last Night. Anyways I was wondering if I could buy some bait off of you guys or if anyone could pick me up a package if they are heading out for bait themselves. Does anyone know if I can buy bait in Vulcan?

esso has bait smelts and larger sadines and herring
petro can has a freezer full of smelt of all sizes