PDA

View Full Version : safety first

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
everyone seems pretty concerned about going thru the ice for a swim, rightfully so. How many of you are wearing a floatation suit if it does happen.
People laugh at me in my 1 piece mustang suit but its not a fashion show to me. On the ice ive only seen 1 other person in a full floatation suit and its my wife...lol. Do any of you wear one?
anyone carry picks also?

hockey1099
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
everyone seems pretty concerned about going thru the ice for a swim, rightfully so. How many of you are wearing a floatation suit if it does happen.
People laugh at me in my 1 piece mustang suit but its not a fashion show to me. On the ice ive only seen 1 other person in a full floatation suit and its my wife...lol. Do any of you wear one?
anyone carry picks also?

I have pics but no floatation suit

FishingFrenzy
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
People laugh at me in my 1 piece mustang suit but its not a fashion show to me.

X2, I wear whats warm and comfortable, if you want fashion you wont find it on the lake!
To be quite honest i dont carry either but i am also not an early ice person, im not out before there's 10 solid inches. I know there can be thin spots but hey, the rope on the sled for my buddy to toss should work just fine.

Does anyone have a real life experience using picks? Do they actully work well??

DaveFish
12-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I have picks only, that's good on you though, we all should wearing suits, never can 100% know ice.

Edit for frenzy: we tried them out when I was young, dad and other officers(f&w, dad is retired f&w)) chainsawed a big hole, and we all tied off, jumped in, and tried them out. The fit men made it out fine, I barely made it(was like 12 at the time), afew of the huskier men failed.

npauls
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
I always wear my arctic armor full floatation 2 piece suit with my ice picks around my neck. They aren't in my way and if I get to hot I will just shed the hoody under my suit.

Nate

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
X2, I wear whats warm and comfortable, if you want fashion you wont find it on the lake!
To be quite honest i dont carry either but i am also not an early ice person, im not out before there's 10 solid inches. I know there can be thin spots but hey, the rope on the sled for my buddy to toss should work just fine.

Does anyone have a real life experience using picks? Do they actully work well??

i hate admitting im stupid but well..........
ive gone thru twice on foot and twice in a vehicle.
the hand auger saved me on devils lake the picks saved me on lake isle
both times the doors on the truck gave me and my buddy time to escape getting really wet.
the most important thing ive learned(besides learning 10b eyes arent worth dying for) is dont wear sloppy boots they are like concrete blocks on your feet. i wear lace up hunting boots made of gortex light waterproof and warm.
i havent gone in many years and never since ive been wearing the suit. lesson i quess is......your brain is your greatest piece of safety equipment or just growing up helps.
im so old and out of shape i doubt the suit will save me but at least the funeral wont be delayed calling in divers

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I always wear my arctic armor full floatation 2 piece suit with my ice picks around my neck. They aren't in my way and if I get to hot I will just shed the hoody under my suit.

Nate

we wear mustang and nautilus.....how warm is the arctic amour suit? does it have water cuffs on wrists and ankles?

dragon
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Ive been throught the ice on a sled before... wasn't fun. good news is it was only waste deep. I wear pics when on the sled. I don't go more than 200 yrds from shore (ie cut across the lake) I only go to pigeon. I don't drive my vehicle on the ice period. and I'm never first tracks.... or second... or third..

npauls
12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
The arctic armor suit is super warm and very light weight and thin.

It has neoprene cuffs on the sleeves and a draw string at the bottom of the coat. The bibs have a breathable wader type material that wrap tight around your boots and then zippers to zip shut on the outside. I haven't tested it out in the water yet and I really hope I never have to. I am very prepared to get my ass out if it comes down to it but I hope I stay dry.

Nate

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 11:17 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/041.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/040.jpg

float suits

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
The arctic armor suit is super warm and very light weight and thin.

It has neoprene cuffs on the sleeves and a draw string at the bottom of the coat. The bibs have a breathable wader type material that wrap tight around your boots and then zippers to zip shut on the outside. I haven't tested it out in the water yet and I really hope I never have to. I am very prepared to get my ass out if it comes down to it but I hope I stay dry.

Nate

where did you get yours....id like to try some on
thanks

harrydude
12-29-2010, 11:49 PM
bass pro sells them

200 bones

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 11:50 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/041.jpg

float suits

Ok what the heck is that fish doing in the picture??? looks like its levitating nose down :sHa_sarcasticlol:

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
bass pro sells them

200 bones

thanks....thats cheap in comparison..more than 1/2 price of a mustang

harrydude
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
they are mustang I beleive

but not like the one in upper posts

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Ok what the heck is that fish doing in the picture??? looks like its levitating nose down :sHa_sarcasticlol:

that fish came off the hook in the hole and wife flipped it out by hand...lol

chubbdarter
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
they are mustang I beleive

but not like the one in upper posts

oh i misunderstood i thought you meant bass pro had arctic amour.
not a big fan of that store but willing to go if they have arctic amour to try on

WayneChristie
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
talented lady LOL Thought maybe it was pointing out its buddies in the lake :sHa_sarcasticlol: The flotation suits sound like a good idea, especially early season when the ice is thinner. I walk out most times anyways, or follow a bigger vehicle from a distance.

npauls
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
They seem to fit the same as the clam ice armour suit. My fishing partner has the clam suit so I just tried his on and then ordered my arctic armor suit off of the net from riverside outdoors. The ice armor suit doesn't float but the arctic armor ones do. You can check out the riverside website to look at all the different models and colors they have. I ordered the unlined cheaper one but the order was screwed up from the company so the guy at riverside ended up sending me the lined one for no extra cost. I have the one that is black and green. They also have a red and black, camo, and all black that I know of.

Nate