PDA

View Full Version : chain lake hints and tips anyone ?

deepfried
12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
thinking of headed down to chain lakes tommorow. Can anyone give some tips as I have struck out the last 2 times down there !!! Already have velveeta and some jigs ready , and some powerpait worms and goo.
Thanks everyone !!

jts1
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Skunked @ Chain huh.. Hmmm That should be hard to do. I use just a real small hook with a chunk of worm on it under a slip bobber. Have never been skunked out there. Where on the lake were you fishing if you dont mind? PCR is just a short drive down the road from there.

deepfried
12-30-2010, 05:26 PM
really brand new to ice fishing so thats most likely the issue , sorry forgot to mention that. But I was fishing on the south end of the lake straight west of the last parking lot there

dennisb
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM
drive into the main lake access and go past the boat launch. Park at the last parking area and walk out 50 to 100 yards. Use maggots or corn or mealworm, dew worm or my favotite...Shrimp, those little ones that are already cooked. You get them at safeway or coop. A package ia about $3-$4.
Fish 10 - 20ft below a bobber.

Walleye101
12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
I watched a guy a few years back catch and keep five six pound plus Rainbows in 1 hour. What he did was interesting and makes sense. He would stir up the bottom with this big 10 foot pole. Wait 5 minuets or so for the dust to settle and then drop his mitzi ditze tipped with shrimp and wammo! It was no more than 1 hour and he had his limit of big trout. He threw away the small ones. I have not been back there since but if anybody tries it, let me know how it goes.

slough shark
12-30-2010, 07:44 PM
huh, I generally clean up down there, I just use velveeta and head nw of the parking lot, 10-20 feet. Last year wasn't as good as normal, I only went out the 1 time and caught a couple which was rather abnormal, I usually catch in the double digits and keep a few for dinner. I haven't been out this year, post how you do though and the ice conditions because I want to take out my neice and nephew here one of these days. good luck

panamanorm
12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
just there last weekend, ice is slushy,advised not to drive out quite yet. 12" thick.powerbait on wireworms worked, also cooked shrimp worked quite well size of a jellybean. they were biteing all day long till 2pm it was awesome..

Nerdapres'
12-31-2010, 05:29 AM
I have a feeling the ice won't be slushy today.

Maverick112
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
thinking of headed down to chain lakes tommorow. Can anyone give some tips as I have struck out the last 2 times down there !!! Already have velveeta and some jigs ready , and some powerpait worms and goo.
Thanks everyone !!

go to chain lakes, then go towards the dam but not to close, and not to far out either. go towards the middle of the lake and remeber not to far out. Then put some velveeta on a small hook. Got to the bottom, and reel up a foot, or 6 inches, just off the bottom, now... wait.... Ive always done this and have never been skunked at Chain Lakes. Hope this helps

Maverick112

deepfried
12-31-2010, 08:23 PM
thanks for the tips guys , went out today and had a mess of rainbows pulled up through the ice. Was using just a pink headed jig with a little bit of velveeta on the hook ! Pulles my stuff out of the truck and drug it out about 100 yards , setup the ice shack , and before I could even sit down had the first one on , and things just continued on from there ! Will have to go out and try some other places as this was only my 2nd time out. Thanks again for the tips !!!!

RiverRat
01-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey slough Shark I took my two girls out on wednesday and it was the slowest that i have ever seen we managed 4 in three hours. Not very good by my standards. The ice is really good black ice I measured all the holes i drilleed and it went from 15" to almost 17". hope this helps..

slough shark
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks! It is always good to hear the reports on this sort of thing, chain has always been a great place to bring kids as normally you catch a pile and everyone catches something. I'll probably be heading out in a week or 2.

Hairball
01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi All,

Was out to Chain the first Monday after xmas and again today (Sunday Jan 2/2011) and was totally skunked!! Ice is totally fine to drive on today, fished 80 to 100 feet straight off of the west boat launch and then moved to the south and fished 30 feet off of the rocks there.....used velveta, corn and orange power bait and nothing!!!!! A few people where walking around to see how others where doing and it sounds like its been a very slow and painful year out there so far. I'm not giving up yet damit!! I'm going to try past the parking lot to the north-west like dennisb posted... has anyone tried the North dam end? how about any inlets along the two ends?

GaryF
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Was out at chain today with the other 150 ppl, did everything on this thread and other ones, and not a bite or nibble. Only saw one person pull up a fish in over 5 hours. Sound normal?

Buck Krazy
01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
they did stock bull **** trout in there, so maybe the bull **** trout have gotten to a size that they can do a dent on all the tiny little stocker rainbows they put in...

deepfried
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Was out there Friday as I said , with just a pink headed jig and some velveeta , and was having them bite none stop for the day... needless to say I was about the only one out there , only a couple other small groups.. Does 15 million people walking around on the ice scare the crap out of them ? Im pretty new to this so jsut wondering !

RiverRat
01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Yup I agree with that! I will take my two kids their but I will be one of the first ones out their fishing and when the hords of tools show up I leave. I had a couple of guys last year try to use two of my holes I just drilled . And when I said what the hell are you doing the got real ****y. The worst thing was they had a nice new jiffy with them. Some peoples children :sign0176:. The fishing has been slow and I am hoping that next weekend brings better results for everyone.

Hairball
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Whats everyones take on fishing the northend of chain? Do you fish just off the rocks? Or somewhere along the east or west shore line at the northend?

ABFishFan
01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
really brand new to ice fishing so thats most likely the issue , sorry forgot to mention that. But I was fishing on the south end of the lake straight west of the last parking lot there

Me too. I went there few weeks ago for my very first ice-fishing trip. Caught nothing

Bigdad013
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I have been going throught he regs, and can't find anything on Chain Lakes. I am assuming the general regs are all that counts there?

Photoplex
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I have been going throught he regs, and can't find anything on Chain Lakes. I am assuming the general regs are all that counts there?

It's under the Stocked Waters section (Page 8)

The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings" for each Watershed Unit.

Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special
regulations under "Lake and Stream Listing" for each Watershed Unit starting on page 26.

Bigdad013
01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks

Bigdad013
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Was out at Chain on Sunday. Don't believe the weather network..nuff said. Ice plenty thick, fish biting very nice except we were in the vehicle warming up all the time from the wind and cold. Lost I would say 10, got 2 on the ice. If the weather was better it would have been an awesome day. Thanks to the people who pushed us out after my 4 wheel drive decided not to work. Much appreciated

Iheartfishing
01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Going to be heading to Chain tomorrow, just wondering how slushy it is, or going to be with the weather getting a little warmer. Just wondering cause i will bringing my daughter??

Fishing king2012
01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is heading out next weekend on the 3 or 4. To chain. Wanting to know if anyone has been out this year

Fishing king2012
02-02-2012, 07:10 AM
anyone been fishing this year? what bait should i use? what size are the fish? and can someone send me a PM where you are catching fish on the lake plz? thnx everything would be helpful!

lannie
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I was there about 10 days ago. Velveeta cheese on any small snelled hooks worked well. We caught suckers and rainbows. 2 suckers for each rainbow.
Drove off the boat launch onto lake. I think everyone who was fishing on the lake were catching fish. Good luck ! They were better eating than i thought they would be. All the rainbows we caught were between about 10 - 14 inch.

mayuan
02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Always had luck on that lake using corn, cheese slices and worms. You have to be quick on the draw when fishing too. The fish will steal the bait quick and leave you with an empty hook.

m0808
02-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I was there on sunday. It was pretty good fishing. I got 9 rainbows. Might head back this sunday.

Hairball
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I was there on sunday. It was pretty good fishing. I got 9 rainbows. Might head back this sunday.

what where you catching them on.....cheese, worms, corn,,,etc.