PDA

View Full Version : Spencer lake access

blackonblackfx4
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Who's been into Spencer in the last bit or heard what's going on? Can you drive a 4x4 through touchwood? Or sled access only this year?

Also if you've been in there, fish biting well?

kreator
12-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Do not drive across Touchwood yet unless your like swimming you way out of 140 feet of water. Touchwood is often wide open until Christmas.

sco22
12-31-2010, 09:52 AM
x2 Kreator. I am not sure I would be going across Touchwood for a while yet.

We were at Seibert for the last couple of days and many, many trucks went through Seibert to Spencer.

Cheers.

blackonblackfx4
12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Do not drive across Touchwood yet unless your like swimming you way out of 140 feet of water. Touchwood is often wide open until Christmas.

I know touchwood can be dangerous, but I've drove right by shore at this time of the year in previous years with my little ranger.

sco22
12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Well it is certainly up to you to try, but you asked and two people who know the lake very well advised you not to.

You can certainly try the shore, but Touchwood tends to get big heaves on the North shore. At some point you will end up crossing some deep water. Combine this with the pile of snow up there and it is dangerous. If you are bent on getting to Spencer, go through Seibert. It is still iffy, but there is a beaten path that has frozen over well and knocked the snow down.

Good luck.

Cheers.

AxeMan
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Like Kreator and Sco22 warned, Touchwood ice has to be respected since there is a lot of deep water out there. The straight line from the Touchwood campsite to the Spencer trailhead goes over the deepest water in the lake (140 feet). I saw open water out there at Christmas one year where I have indicated in orange on my image.

Spencer has a few bad spots as well due to incoming creeks. I saw a truck drive into open water and submerge its front end once in front of a creek on the west end of the lake. It happened about 100 feet from shore. The back wheels and frame hung up on the ice and prevented it from going right in. The guy actually drove right into open water! The same guy also drove directly over the Touchwood deep hole on the way in. I was on my quad and this guy approached me to bring my 4x4 truck with the winch from the Touchwood campsite to help get him out. I doubt I could have got him out anyways. I declined.

These are few bad spots that I know of. There may be others. Feel free to comment on other bad spots.

blackonblackfx4
12-31-2010, 02:58 PM

I like your map. Just to note on the very north east side of touchwood there's also a spring coming in. I've hit water on sleds on Spencer where you drew.

Looks like I'll take the sleds across.

kreator
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Good posts, guys. blackonblackfx4, I have also driven along the shore of Touchwood to get to Spencer, but don't forget it is also very deep along the northeast shore where the banks are steep, before you get to the Spencer trail. There were parts of that trail that was blazed last winter that were driving over 40-50 feet of water. Still not sure if I'd be driving over that just yet. That's just me, though.

Last year we hit some really, really bad overflow on Touchwood, just out from the boat launch. My quad sunk into about a foot of water. I've also seen it worse than this in the past. My uncle had to work an entire day to get his sled out of some overflow on the middle of the lake. I can't imagine it's a good feeling to break through into flood water when you're over 100+ feet of water! Attached is a photo from our little incident last year.

kreator
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's a better one:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=11218608&l=ff12ba192e&id=620540532

AxeMan
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Also feel free to comment on your favorite winter spots on Touchwood and Spencer guys. :innocent:

bnd112
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
several of my in laws were up to Spencer on boxing day, thet drove across Seibert and drove onto Spencer...they said there was over a foot of ice everywhere they drilled but as I wasn't there I can't say for sure. They said the fishing was slow too, 15 people went and they only brought home 3 keepers. I am not sure what part of the lake they were fishing on but I will get some more details and post.