PDA

View Full Version : Spray lake disaster

fishstix
12-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Anyone know about what happened at spray today? The news hour says three poeple went through the ice in a car. Sounds like none of the occupants lived.

Bad news..Really bad...

ghostguy6
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
No real news yet

Car plunges into Spray Lakes: police
Calgary Herald December 30, 2010 6:02 PM

A car filled with people has plunged into Spray Lakes, Canmore RCMP confirmed.

Rescuers rushed to the scene late this afternoon.

There is no official word on injuries or casualties yet.

More information is incoming.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/plunges+into+Spray+Lakes+police/4042969/story.html#ixzz19eDouKs7

fish on
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
three occupants died at hospital
not sure if they were fishing or went off the road

dalez
12-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I dont think you are allowed any vehicles or ATV's on that lake . Maybe they slid off the road .not good . The wife and I r heading up up there for New years ice fishing for 3 days. Last year about the same time it was there fishing and the ice was almost 2' thick

jacenbeers
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
The ice is safe for walking onto. Just avoid the areas where the creeks flow in.

deanmc
12-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Three people were killed after a vehicle drove off the road and plunged into Spray Lakes Reservoir near Canmore.

It happened around 3:45 p.m. Thursday.

The vehicle was driving on Spray Lakes Road when it veered off the road into the reservoir, said Todd Sikorsky, the Town of Canmore's fire chief.

There were four occupants in the vehicle. Bystanders managed to pull three of the occupants out but RCMP, Parks staff, and fire crews had to extract the fourth person.

There is no information yet on the ages or genders of the victims or where they were from.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101230/CGY_canmore_crash_101230/20101230/?hub=CalgaryHome

whitewolf
12-30-2010, 07:15 PM
anywhere i have been it has been 20 to 24 inches thick...dont know about this year tho and they must have slid of the road as you cant drive on that lake....

alacringa
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
may have been at the far North end, where the road is close to the lake, and the ice is often thin (or perhaps in the canal?). I was out 3 weeks ago, and the ice was over a foot thick in the middle of the lake.

FishingMOM
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Two men and a woman are dead after their vehicle plunged into the chilly Spray Lakes Reservoir Thursday afternoon, according to Canmore’s fire chief.

By the time emergency crews from Canmore arrived at the scene just before 4 p.m., one person from the vehicle had already been taken to the local hospital by bystanders, while another two were lying lifeless at the side of Spray Lakes Road.

A fourth person remained trapped inside the vehicle.

“Bystanders were doing CPR on two occupants that had already been removed from the vehicle,” said Canmore fire chief, Todd Sikorsky.

Ice rescue technicians worked to remove the final person from the vehicle and began CPR, but it appeared to be too late for all three, according to Sikorsky.

“Life signs were absent on removal from vehicle so we started advanced life support enroute,” he said, adding the trio were pronouced dead in hospital. “CPR was in progress from the scene.”

One woman remains at hospital in stable condition, he said.

All are believed to be in their mid-40s.

Sikorsky said the vehicle was travelling north toward Canmore along Spray Lakes Road at about 3:45 p.m. when it left the road.

When the vehicle landed it was fully submered in six feet of water, which is just above freezing this time of year, Sikorsky said.

“It was a little bit chaotic,” said Sikorsky.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Three+dead+after+plunges+into+Spray+Lakes/4042969/story.html#ixzz19eeZoDQc

timsesink
12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Thats really awful, my prayers and thoughts are with the family.

chubbdarter
12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Thats really awful, my prayers and thoughts are with the family.

yes...god's speed

trouty
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
may have been at the far North end, where the road is close to the lake, and the ice is often thin (or perhaps in the canal?). I was out 3 weeks ago, and the ice was over a foot thick in the middle of the lake.

would guess you are right, it is often open late in the year and the road is close to the water there. Often thought it would be a place where that could happen.

Christofficer
12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
This is absolutely terrible, sorry to everyone involved. and RIP to those that have died.

jts1
12-31-2010, 12:02 AM
This is so sad. My prayers are with them all. I have been trying to think where they could have gone off the road and ended up in the water. As far as I know the only place you can do that is where the canal enters into Spray on the North end. Everywhere els you would need to plow down a bunch of bush before you hit the water. I know that section by the bridge is narrow and has some sharp turns. Regardless ti is a tragic story.

WhiteyChaser
12-31-2010, 03:49 AM
according to the herald this morning, the ford escape went off the embankment at the far north end into the canal shortly before you begin the descent down towards canmore. what a tragic accident...

marlin1
12-31-2010, 08:27 AM
I saw the clip and it looked like the canal to me , that road can be icy I have seen it closed at the bottom of the hill before

mommabear
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with this family...can't even imagine what they are going through!!!