PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon or Gull for whites

Tyangelo
01-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Heading out tomorrow targeting whites, and whatever hits the tipups. Heard that pigeon is doing ok for whites, as well as gull. Would the north side of pigeon (P. Park or otherwise) be as productive for whites, as say, Brownlows? How far out should we be going from Brownlows if we end up going there?

Safety D
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I fished Pigeon today and it was DEAD. I talked to some other anglers and same thing. Summer time cant come fast enough !!!!

Tyangelo
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
That's what I was afraid of... And why I went to Gull instead...heheh.

Rockymtnx
01-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I fished Pigeon today and it was DEAD. I talked to some other anglers and same thing. Summer time cant come fast enough !!!!

Safety D, just curious as if you have ever had a good day fishing? You really seem to promote negativity and try to turn folks away from fishing our local waters. I fish the same lakes you do, and have had some exceptional days fishing, on the same days you claim to have said that "it was DEAD."

Safety D
01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
yep I had a great day fishing last month !!!!!

hockey1099
01-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Safety D, just curious as if you have ever had a good day fishing? You really seem to promote negativity and try to turn folks away from fishing our local waters. I fish the same lakes you do, and have had some exceptional days fishing, on the same days you claim to have said that "it was DEAD."

Im pretty sure its just his catch phrase. I think he has to say its dead good or bad. Id be afraid to go to a lake he gave a good report on.

bobalong
01-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Almost everyone seems to do well on most lakes except him, some people assume that everyones abilities are as limited as their own.

Raven
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Almost everyone seems to do well on most lakes except him, some people assume that everyones abilities are as limited as their own.

Hardly. I also fish the same lakes he does and find he's actually quite honest. Yes its a funny little catch phrase, still makes me (and others) laugh, love reading his posts, but if you think he's full of it proove him wrong. You too Rocky, where's your reports with pics to show you indeed did catch on a day he (and others) said it was slow? Sure one day you can claim you slayed when it was DEAD, where's the proof? IMO no proof its Bull-you-know-what

Raven
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
And Rocky, one more thing, why would a guy try to cover up pigeon? That just makes me laugh, everyone and their dog knows pigeon and how it can produce (and how it can be DEAD!). Its not a small lake with few anglers people would want to protect. Quit giving the guy a hard time for stating the obvious.

burbotman14
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Safety D might think Pigeon is dead, but I remember SNAPfisher going out twice and getting a bunch of nice whites as well as constant action. Also, Penner had a 7+ whitefish day there and when I went the walleye action was fairly consistent. He might be in the wrong spots or it may just be a catch fraise. All you can do is go out to the lake and see how the fishing is or see how others made out recently. The only lakes that are "ALIVE" are carson and wabamun apparently.

Tyangelo
01-02-2011, 12:06 AM
maybe Safety doesn't use hooks on his lures...that could be a problem.

Raven
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Safety D might think Pigeon is dead, but I remember SNAPfisher going out twice and getting a bunch of nice whites as well as constant action. Also, Penner had a 7+ whitefish day there and when I went the walleye action was fairly consistent. He might be in the wrong spots or it may just be a catch fraise. All you can do is go out to the lake and see how the fishing is or see how others made out recently. The only lakes that are "ALIVE" are carson and wabamun apparently.

So did Penner and Snapfisher fish today, and slay? Do you realize a single day can make a huge difference? Do you icefish much? I don't recall Safety saying "don't go to pigeon, its always been dead and always will be!!", I think he said he was out today and it was dead? Did you fish pigeon today? Where are your pictures of your almighty pigeon lake limits?

Raven
01-02-2011, 12:27 AM
maybe Safety doesn't use hooks on his lures...that could be a problem.

Why didn't you fish pigeon today again? Unbelievable. Lol

burbotman14
01-02-2011, 12:36 AM
So did Penner and Snapfisher fish today, and slay? Do you realize a single day can make a huge difference? Do you icefish much? I don't recall Safety saying "don't go to pigeon, its always been dead and always will be!!", I think he said he was out today and it was dead? Did you fish pigeon today? Where are your pictures of your almighty pigeon lake limits?

I didn't say I limited out but feel free to look up SNAPfishers and Penners. They may not have limited out but they are nice batches of fish. Also, Safety D said it was dead three weeks ago in an earlier post and he consistently says it is dead when people ask how the fishing is at Pigeon along with other lakes. I realize that day to day fishing makes a difference but he says the same thing every week, and yes I do ice fish often.

Raven
01-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I saw Snapfishers and Penners reports. Indeed nice fish. But again did Safety D say it was dead the same days they posted reports? I sure don't think so. He said he was out TODAY and it was slow (his catch phrase is dead!!). Did anybody else fish pigeon today? How was it? Until somebody posts pictures of crazy slay, TODAY, Safety remains right. The low pressure system that is going through is enough for most people to realize it was likely dead.

Rockymtnx
01-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Did anybody else fish pigeon today? How was it?
I wasnt able to hit Pigeon today, but my neighbors did. They ended up icing 6 whites, lost 4 whites, caught numerous walleye, and one burbot. I am sure you will call BS because I don't have any pics to show you, but most people will believe this.

Raven
01-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I wasnt able to hit Pigeon today, but my neighbors did. They ended up icing 6 whites, lost 4 whites, caught numerous walleye, and one burbot. I am sure you will call BS because I don't have any pics to show you, but most people will believe this.

BS!!!! Its DEAD!!!!!

Kidding.
I don't call BS at all, nice to hear another report. A guy I work with was out to both pigeon and gull on the 1st, he said gull was fun but pigeon (where he was) was dead. He saw no fish on the ice anywhere around him. Just goes to show how lakes can be wierd like that, one area (or time of day) is successful, other areas are dead. I have experienced this myself, especially at pigeon.

Maybe Safety really doesn't know how to fish, but from the list of lakes he fishes and some of his comments in threads that are a lot less read than others, leads me to believe he knows what he's doing. If he didn't, or anyone for that matter, why fish so much? Doesn't seem to logical. I think he just fishes a lot and reports when its dead and at this time of year, a lot of lakes are, at most times. Sure a few people know of some honey holes, but I am talking on average.

As for tonite, 5 walleye caught between 2 people in a few hours night fishing, in the snow. It wasn't dead in where all the fish have died, but I'd call it pretty dead, for pigeon.

SNAPFisher
01-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I saw Snapfishers and Penners reports. Indeed nice fish. But again did Safety D say it was dead the same days they posted reports? I sure don't think so. He said he was out TODAY and it was slow (his catch phrase is dead!!). Did anybody else fish pigeon today? How was it? Until somebody posts pictures of crazy slay, TODAY, Safety remains right. The low pressure system that is going through is enough for most people to realize it was likely dead.

Sorry Raven. I wasn't out either. However, I would hope anyone prowling these forums has enough smarts to take any report with a grain of salt. A lake is never dead on any given day - their biting somewhere. I do recall the last day out overhearing a group not too far away from me saying something to the effect that it "sure is dead today....". I just happened to be on them that day. If I wasn't on them I would have went wandering to find them.

Penner
01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
The key to successful angling in Alberta is to be very mobile and be willing to experiment with your approach to angling for anyone species (hook types, water depth, water temp, moon phases, line thicknesses, etc). We have abundance of anglers and a shortage of fisheries. Being unique has its advantages.

As for this message forum (like any others) the majority of folks whom contribute to it, add legitimate content… others well not so much. I’ve become a much more knowledgeable angler and hunter because of it no doubt. But like anything in these day and age “believe none of what your hear and only half of what you see”.

Weed out the trolls!:bad_boys_20:

Safety D
01-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks Raven, At least someones on my side !!! Its fun getting people fired up too!!! I think I know a little about fishing. Been fishing 30 plus years, I guided professionally up in northern alberta, NWT, and Nunavut for years, I have driven a boat backwards then most have forwards, Ive caught 50 inch pike, 50 lb lake trout, 3 + pound arctic grayling, 8 foot sturgeons, 5 footers on the NSR, been runnin jetboats on rivers and on the Coppermine river since 1989. So sorry if a 3 pound whitefish doesnt get my blood going anymore. The local areas are DEAD DEAD DEAD compared to even 10 years ago. I guess I have just been pretty spoiled with fishing in my life !!!! SO IF YOU THINK I DONT KNOW MY FISHING THINK AGAIN !!!!!

jacob1202
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM

x2.... in no way is pigeon dead

Safety D
01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
We still caught a couple but it was pretty dead. It aint 1999 anymore unfortunately....

SNAPFisher
01-02-2011, 01:32 PM
We still caught a couple but it was pretty dead. It aint 1999 anymore unfortunately....

Quit living in the past man, embrace the future! :fighting0030:

Quite the resume there too :sign0023:

Just having some fun now of course. There is an ongoing thread about Sylvan Lake on another board. It is always "dead" there too. :fishing:

Have a good one!

buckmaster
01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
5 footers on the NSR, So sorry if a 3 pound whitefish doesnt get my blood going anymore. The local areas are DEAD DEAD DEAD compared to even 10 years ago. I guess I have just been pretty spoiled with fishing in my life !!!! SO IF YOU THINK I DONT KNOW MY FISHING THINK AGAIN !!!!!
5 footers on the NSR? <those are small ones !!! I have fished pigeon for over 20yrs and it is certainly not DEAD! and yes i agree Darren, pigeon is not like it was in the early 90,s.

Safety D
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Well I didnt want to brag about the ones bigger then 5 feet. Got a keep it real bud ! Plus 60 inch plus geons are not an every day thing either.....