PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Ice Shanty

Thinlizzy
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey boys some input would be great.
I have a 8' by 10' ice shanty that weighs about 1800lbs.
Me and a friend are hauling it up to Slave Lake Jan 6 and have no experience getting it onto the ice.
Bernie from Ladyhawk was going to haul it onto the lake for us but his ice cat's steering is down.
I have a 2007 gmc sierra and at this point no company makes chains for these size of tires.
The shanty is basically a shed that has two 4 by 4's under it so it shouldn't be too hard to pull.
Will my pickup be able to pull this thing out to the mini town at Joussard.
My pick up is a 4x4 but I am still not sure how it will go.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.:fishing:

Triple Threat
01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Sounds pretty heavy for a shack only 8x10 but maybe the floor is 1/4" plate.
JK.... you should be able to pull it no problem I would guess. A 4x4 will pull alot even on ice and snow. You might have to get a bit of a run at it( some slack in the rope) to get the truck moving if there is no traction. You should be ok though.

Geezle
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
You *should* be able to do it as long as your tires are decent, but no guarantees.

TJG
01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey boys some input would be great.
I have a 8' by 10' ice shanty that weighs about 1800lbs.
Me and a friend are hauling it up to Slave Lake Jan 6 and have no experience getting it onto the ice.
Bernie from Ladyhawk was going to haul it onto the lake for us but his ice cat's steering is down.
I have a 2007 gmc sierra and at this point no company makes chains for these size of tires.
The shanty is basically a shed that has two 4 by 4's under it so it shouldn't be too hard to pull.
Will my pickup be able to pull this thing out to the mini town at Joussard.
My pick up is a 4x4 but I am still not sure how it will go.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.:fishing:

You will be ok on the ice that way, on land it will dig in.
You can put some tin on the skids, old evestrough, expanded
metal or metal roofing. Or u can put puck board on them.
You need to countersink the screws too.

-JR-
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Go to Continental Chain In Edmonton. They will build to fit for just under $100.a set
Just call them and give them your tire size.They just did my 3/4 gmc !

hillbilly willy
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I would call Vic Plamondon (lives in Joussard) and make arrangements for him to pull it out with his machine. I'm not sure what he charges but it will be worth it. He pulled my 10x16 shack a couple of times. The problem I found (you most likely will to) is that snow builds up infront and I have a 6" skid underneath. Best of luck!! Willy

turnitloose
01-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Go to Continental Chain In Edmonton. They will build to fit for just under $100.a set
Just call them and give them your tire size.They just did my 3/4 gmc !

2x, chains are always nice to have

MasterBaitor
01-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Just got back from Joussard. You'll be fine hauling it out there. The path is well packed, i'd leave it on the trailer until you get it out there though, so snow doesn't build up. Fishing was great. Caught our limit two days in a row of both Pike and Walleye

MasterBaitor
01-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Oh another thing is I hope your shack is about a foot off the ice. The lake is sunk about 4 inches.

Thinlizzy
01-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I would call Vic Plamondon (lives in Joussard) and make arrangements for him to pull it out with his machine. I'm not sure what he charges but it will be worth it. He pulled my 10x16 shack a couple of times. The problem I found (you most likely will to) is that snow builds up infront and I have a 6" skid underneath. Best of luck!! Willy

Thanks for all the help. I am going to give Vic a call in the morning and see if I can arrange something for next week. :)