PDA

View Full Version : Quality swivels/snap swivels?

Geezle
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm going to start tying myself up some 50lb fluorocarbon leaders for next open water season, but I need to find myself some quality components.

Last season I was just using the cheapie leaders and ran into problems with line twist when using in-line spinners or certain spoons that spun the line up.

Normally I always have a snap swivel on my line first - usually these Mustad ones
http://i31.twenga.com/sports/fishing-swivel/sakuma-black-rolling-hooked-tp_3852569592616140571.jpg
and then I'd just clip the leader (which also has a swivel) to that. So two swivels now, and still big line twist.

So I need to find myself some good swivels and snap swivels that will help clear up this issue of line twisting.

I saw some crazy Mustad ones at WSS that looked like 3 barrel swivels all in a row. Anybody ever try them?

huntsfurfish
01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Some spinners/spoons will create line twist anyway. Best solution is ball bearing swivels and matching the line size(small light spinners - light mono/line, heavy spinners and spoons - heavier line). Among the best ball bearing swivel -Sampo.

Hope that helps.

bobalong
01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I have had good luck with the mustad diamond eye swivels. I just buy the swivels and put cross lock snaps on them as I dont like any of the snaps that come with any snap/swivels that are already assembled. I have used the Berkley ball bearing swivels before and they seem to work well too, but the diamond eye are a much smaller profile (don't catch the small weeds as much) for the same # test rating.

huntsfurfish
01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I myself have been using what bobolong uses(mustad) and they have been fine for me as well.

PERCHY
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Some spinners/spoons will create line twist anyway. Best solution is ball bearing swivels and matching the line size(small light spinners - light mono/line, heavy spinners and spoons - heavier line). Among the best ball bearing swivel -Sampo.

Hope that helps.

i completely agree i had the same problem and the Ball bearing swivel helps

nevercatchmuch
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Geezle, I sometimes use a barrel swivel and then more line, then a snap swivel... Increases the risk of breaking but seems to reduce the snarling