PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Folding Sled [Pictures]

Garry B
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to post a few pictures of the sled I designed and my brothers put together this week. I designed it using Google SketchUp. Worked with Dawson from Redwood Plastics to decide on material. Then we put this contraption together.

The sled is entirely made entirely from UHMW polyethylene (http://www.redwoodplastics.com/products/uhmw-polyethylene/recycled-uhmw-repro-uhmw/). [Right now the stiffener running across the front is temporary 2x4" since I made a slight material miscalculation and ran out of 1x2" stock]. It's also missing one center runner for the same reason. These will be added soon. The floor disengages from the front two pull rope tie locations and then lays flat. The sides then fold down into the floor on a piano hinge for easy storage in tight spaces and easy transport. The piano hinge will likely rust in time but is easily replaced.

I can drive right in the back with the wheelchair. Get tied down easily to the nylon webbing in the four corners . I don't get out of the sled once on the lake. My brother popped a hole beside me and I fished there. When we want to move a short distance the sled pulls very easily. When it got cold we opened our 6 man tent and lifted it right over top of me in the sled and fished inside. There was still plenty of room.

It's first two trips out proved it to be very tough. The area just after the access onto Hasse was pretty scruffy and chewed (ruts and flood water) up but we didn't tip and the sled held together without trouble. Further out we hit 2" of powder and it was smooth going. 6" of powder was OK too but the quad needed to be in 4 wheel. The worst was the gnarly ruts. If my brother drove the quad slow it was OK. Other brother stood on the back of the sled and held my chair to stabilize things. Still need to add some grip tape for the person standing behind me.

All in all the sled and all the other equipment we built and adapted worked well (room for improvement though) and we had a great time. We caught a bunch of those Hasse micro perch and now just have to find a place where there's some bigger perch!

I'm looking for a shop that can make a hitch on my van so I can mount a rack to carry the sled at the rear of the van. I can't just bolt a stock hitch in place because the van has been adapted for a wheelchair ramp and the gas tank has been moved to the rear. I contacted the mobility company and they said a hitch to hold a bike rack is OK but not for towing something. They don't do those hitches though. Could someone point me in the right direction for a shop that can do such work? Thanks.

Here are some pictures.

Front view of sled:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/Frontviewofsled-01.jpg

Another front view:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/Frontviewofsled-02.jpg

Side view:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/Sideviewofsled-01.jpg

Just drill hole beside sled:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/Popinhole.jpg

Attachment for holding rod [will be modified - didn't work perfectly - did manage to catch though]:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/RodAttachmentandReelGuard.jpg

Reel handle cup. Worked well but had to be reshaped on-site so ends are flared out more than intended. The cup idea turned out well:
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/garryb_9/Folding%20Sled/ReelHandleAttachment.jpg

Also visible in the above two pictures is the webbing that goes around my chest and the attachment apparatus where the rod attaches to it.

I am very thankful to my wife, daughters and brothers who built these things. Without them it would not have been possible. [B]They did a great job!

raoul
01-01-2011, 05:39 PM
awesome job...i love it!

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
thats awesome!!!

Dust1n
01-01-2011, 05:43 PM
whats the censored thing for?

Garry B
01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
whats the censored thing for?

Shy wifey. :)

DaveFish
01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
That's just awesome, great job.

ragweed
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow...great job!

Geezle
01-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Slick Garry, I like it :)

And it's awesome that the family is helping out to get you out on the ice to do what you enjoy!

Let me know next time you're heading out Garry, and I'll do my damnedest to get out with ya!

Stop Staring at my Rack
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Very neat!! So glad you have some great people around you to help you get out on the ice!!!

horsetrader
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing with Garry and his brothers on thursday a great group of guys to fish with. Seen his gear work first hand was very impressed Garry and his family did a fantastic job. Garry out fished me hands down...
OK OK so thats not so hard to do :)LOL Either way his set up works slick
and I'm sure Garry is all ready working on improvements. Great pics Garry.

Garry B
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Had the pleasure of fishing with Garry and his brothers on thursday a great group of guys to fish with. Seen his gear work first hand was very impressed Garry and his family did a fantastic job. Garry out fished me hands down...

Thanks Horsetrader. It was our pleasure to fish with you and I'm just sorry I didn't have any more of that light line that was making all the difference. You'd have been into 'em thick with it. Next time. Best regards and thanks again for the great day!

alacringa
01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Very cool. That's quite the set-up...and fantastic that you'e got people who will help you with putting it together and getting you out...but where are the fish pics?

FishingFrenzy
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Garry B,

This is GENIUS, very, very well thought out design! Your a TRUE fisherman, doing whatever it takes to get out!

Thanks for sharing!

Good luck and TIGHT LINES!

Garry B
01-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Very cool. That's quite the set-up...and fantastic that you'e got people who will help you with putting it together and getting you out...but where are the fish pics?

Thanks. Since you ask here are the poor little victims. Almost ashamed to put them up ... they were soooo small. But we did get hungry ... :)

mudbug
01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Now that's an awesome set up :happy0034:

Digger1
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Very awesome, with some real design talent behind it! Talk to you soon, Bro R

goober
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Looks sweet!!!

Ken07AOVette
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
If you have a design in mind, and buy the material I will build it for you for free.

PM for #

Ken

If you want renovations on the sled I can do them too, I own a snowmobile ski making company and have worked with UHMWPE for years. I can likely deliver to Edmonton as well, would give me an excuse to come buy a parrot and cage

Raven
01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
They see me rollin'....

Lol in all seriousness, that's a great idea! Props on a great design.

FishingMOM
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
That is so cool you guys are helping out.

Check this website out.
http://www.actiontrackchair.com/

http://www.actiontrackchair.com/Images/kirckWoodfill-IceFishing-ActionTrackChair.jpg

Garry B
01-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Check this website out.
http://www.actiontrackchair.com/

Thanks FishingMOM. I'd never seen this chair in all my searching for mobility aids. It's just cool.

Regards

Rockymtnx
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks pretty slick!

RayB's
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Horsetrader, it was great fishing with you the other day, I'm glad you were able to make it out. Hopefully we'll be able to go again some time, and for larger perch!

RayB's
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Very awesome, with some real design talent behind it! Talk to you soon, Bro R

Hey thanks Digger1, Garry comes up with the ideas, and we all do what we can to make it happen, it's rewarding all the way around!

Sequoia
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Cool..happy fishing!

horsetrader
01-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Horsetrader, it was great fishing with you the other day, I'm glad you were able to make it out. Hopefully we'll be able to go again some time, and for larger perch!

Thanks Ray had a great time. We'll have to make it happen again

Regards Kim

ULTRAlite
01-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Hell of a rig - great design and construction.

The passion for the outdoors runs deep!

Rumtan
01-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I am very impressed with the sled and even more impressed with the kind offers to help out. Seeing the good work guys and gals do for each other makes me proud to be a member of this forum.
I am neither a welder or a pipe fitter but would love to help out if you need a hand putting it together. Just pm me ..... I am available on weekends

FishingMOM
01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks FishingMOM. I'd never seen this chair in all my searching for mobility aids. It's just cool.

Regards

Garry,

Well your rig looks wonderful. That thing i found will help you get out hunting with the boys. Looks like your on your way to kicking all our butts in the great outdoors.

My hats off to you on your design. very well done.

Garry B
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Looks like your on your way to kicking all our butts in the great outdoors.

Hahaha - I don't think so! The one butt I was worried about getting kicked was my own when we hit those first ruts with too much speed. I thought we're gonna tip this thing for sure and I'm gonna break something. But we kept it right side up and slowed down the next time over and all was fine.

I'm hoping someone else might get ideas from what we built.

Regards

WayneChristie
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Great ideas! Good to see someone doing what they like, no matter what their circumstances! Have you thought of taking the knob off your reel handle, and putting on just some sort of bolt with a small knob on it instead? you wouldnt need the big cup that way.

Garry B
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Great ideas! Good to see someone doing what they like, no matter what their circumstances! Have you thought of taking the knob off your reel handle, and putting on just some sort of bolt with a small knob on it instead? you wouldnt need the big cup that way.

Thanks! We had done something like that in the past but figured I would try this way now so that each reel I use doesn't need to be modified. So far so good. The rod grabber on the other hand didn't work so well because of unforeseen dynamics but I have two solutions that I am quite sure that will overcome that. It's just a matter of choosing the simpler of the two if it works as anticipated.

Regards

Kodiak
01-03-2011, 01:39 AM
That looks great G, I have a friend that might be interested. He just got an offroad front wheel for the chair, you should look into it. Arrowed a moose this year.

Just a thought, maybe make some detachable / attachable side runners to avoid flipping ? Thinking like the seawater old native kayaks, in lack of a better description.........it's late.

Take care

Garry B
01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
That looks great G, I have a friend that might be interested. He just got an offroad front wheel for the chair, you should look into it. Arrowed a moose this year.

Just a thought, maybe make some detachable / attachable side runners to avoid flipping ? Thinking like the seawater old native kayaks, in lack of a better description.........it's late.

Take care

Thanks. I would be interested in seeing the rig your friend has. Is there a website for it, or is it a custom thing?

Good idea on the outriggers. Early in the design stages my brother suggested these and I'm positive they would have made the sled very difficult to tip. In the interest of time and simplicity we decided to go without them to start with and add them later if needed. So far it seems to be working OK and we've been over some pretty varied snow conditions.

Regards

Garry B
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I want to thank each person who made encouraging comments and generous offers. There were so many that I didn't respond to each because I would have cluttered the thread but I appreciate them all!

I have to give my thanks again to my family who built all the things. It was a lot of work for them - and would take a long time to list each part they made - but they did such a good job! Could not be out fishing without them.

I have lot's more inventing to do on my own stuff but I'm kind of hoping if there is someone with special needs who doesn't quite know how to get started overcoming them they might let me try to help out. Just drop me a PM.

Best regards everyone