PDA

View Full Version : Monster Whitefish

Artist
01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
As is a common occurrence, some lakes seem known as producing bigger fish of a certain species than other lakes. Are there any lakes in Alberta that are known to produce big Lake Whitefish?

ceedub
01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Yes there is....:bad_boys_20:

Artist
01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes there is....:bad_boys_20:

Great answer!:waiting4:

huntin'fool
01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
you mean like 8 or 9 lbs type of big?? then yes, yes there are......................and special ways to catch em too!!
:sHa_shakeshout:

Artist
01-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Awwwww c'mon guys... there's enough fish out there for all of us....
No help for an Alberta newbie????

:sign0085:

I know of some guys who were handsomely rewarded once [not paid] for helping out a guy who moved to Alberta who needed some advice...
:medium-smiley-035:

Safety D
01-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Hanmore Lake near Smoky has the biggest Lake Whites in the province !!!!

trampywinter
01-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Its has been a long time since Hanmore Lake produced anything big. The commercial nets killed that lake.

Alberta Bigbore
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Hanmore used to produce Armored Tank kinda whitefish , but now isnt that lake DEAD? :)

Safety D
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Its slow but if you hook one it will be a TANK !!!! I gotta 6lb 13oz there awhile back

vettedreamer
01-02-2011, 07:50 AM
if you can catch'em, there big, caught a couple 6-7 pounders there in 2' of water but it was a long day.

Managed some monsters in Sylvan as well

Lost a monster in cold lake when I couldn't reach far enough down the 6" hole with my arm

Far and wide Wab prior to the spill has been one of the greatest whitefish lake in the province

Penner
01-02-2011, 08:48 AM
South Buck and Orloff for certain, Hanmore I've heard stories of, even a few lakes near Grand Prairie are supposed to be good, but Battle without a doubt the largest Whites I've ever seen.

Buddy of a buddy caught a few Whites there one day one being just over 6lbs, one 7lbs, and the biggest touching 10lbs. Seen it with my on eyes and weight it on my own scale. Those three brutes filled a 5 gallon pail by themselves. I never have caught one in there myself.

Never would have stuck around if my buddies buddy didn't have an underwater camera. The Whites in that lake appear to be extremely shy. They would just swim around 5ft-10ft away from the hole and every once and a while one would cruise thru to investigate a lure. Makes for a very long day but watching the camera was awesome.

SNAPFisher
01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Interesting! I wonder if they get fat on all the fresh water clams? Can't bring myself to tough it out on that lake...though I probably should.

Another monster white lake is Smoke Lake by Fox Creek. Seen on the cam but never tried for them without the cam.

chubbdarter
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
below the spillway at travers has some old barnacle whitefish....see the natives net them in the fall

steve
01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
I have noticed that all the big slob whites that I have seen down the hole are right on the bottom and moving slow.

Where the average sized ones that your catching are crusing at different levels and moving faster.

Anyone else notice that?

buckmaster
01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Interesting! I wonder if they get fat on all the fresh water clams? Can't bring myself to tough it out on that lake...though I probably should.

Another monster white lake is Smoke Lake by Fox Creek. Seen on the cam but never tried for them without the cam.

X2 for smoke lake.Hanmore has huge whites but in the last 3 or 4 yrs it has been very poor fishing.

rapalaman
01-03-2011, 12:35 AM
I find it funny everybody seems to know where to get monster whites exept when they post it online!!...lol. However if its big whites your after there are two lakes near edmonton that WILL produce the next alberta record whity those two lakes are Buck lake and Battle lake.

Battle has bigger fish but they can be wicked tuff to catch find 5 to 8 feet of water on the north side of the lake now your only gonna be 20 feet from shore.

try ripping cast masters off the bottom if that dont work try a wire worm tipped with a few maggots!!! good luck.

Kim473
01-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Think thats where the provincal record is from. Years back that is. Don't think there are to many left in there now.

baptiste_moose
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
gull is known for some pretty big whites and so is battle. very tough to catch at battle. don't ever drive on that lake.

Overdrawn
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I find it funny everybody seems to know where to get monster whites exept when they post it online!!...lol. However if its big whites your after there are two lakes near edmonton that WILL produce the next alberta record whity those two lakes are Buck lake and Battle lake.

Battle has bigger fish but they can be wicked tuff to catch find 5 to 8 feet of water on the north side of the lake now your only gonna be 20 feet from shore.

try ripping cast masters off the bottom if that dont work try a wire worm tipped with a few maggots!!! good luck.

There netting Battle again. Seen it going on in mid fall. I know where the big whites hang out in Battle just west of the boat lauch but becareful the lake is full of fresh water springs. And there is one close to the Spott. That is all I can tell. And oh ya have patience.

Drewski Canuck
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
An Acquaintance, and his younger and older generation live near Island by Athabasca. Last year the Commercials netted a 15 pound White there. Island is tough to fish whether it be whites or perch. Both can be big. Otherwise, try Smoke, Orloff, and UTIKIMA. Calling has them from 4 - 6 pounds, but these fish are way out in the middle and there is alot of middle.

Drewski