PDA

View Full Version : Veradero cuba

Trey
01-03-2011, 03:19 AM
headed to cuba next sunday and im super excited, im gonna try to make friends with the locals and maybe score a fishing trip. but if that fails, what other tips, or places or anything do you guys know about cause ive never been there before

brohymn2
01-03-2011, 07:05 AM
pack some warm clothes, i just came back on thursday and we had cold weather a few days, hopefully you guys fair better, ive gone twice and enjoyed it the first time and this time not so much

BEL
01-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I was down there 12 years ago and really enjoyed a crocodile farm in the south area. Also, the trip to Havanna. I hear there are rum tours now. BEL

Bamm Bamm
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Go on the cadermaran trip!! It was amazing. They cook fresh lobster for ya on a island way out in the ocean. I was there in Nov.

Trey
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
thanks guys the catermaran trip sound like a great idea, what about bringing my own rod and gear down there? i wonder what air transat would think about that stuffed in my backpack

brohymn2
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
just dont go over your weight restriction for on the way back, its like 20 bucks a kilo that you go over, damn cubans will squeeze money out of you any ways they can

seahawkfisher
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
i took the cat trip and brought gear. they let me fish off the docks where they land. also walked away from the masses, wadded out and tried a few spots. lots of fish but a little finnicky
good luck

Grizzly Adams
01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
headed to cuba next sunday and im super excited, im gonna try to make friends with the locals and maybe score a fishing trip. but if that fails, what other tips, or places or anything do you guys know about cause ive never been there before

Hope you picked a good hotel. Things like toothpaste and small sundries are as welcome as cash, for tips. Arrange the charter, right from your hotel. Everyone is a government employee and prices are set, by them. Cubans are passionate fishermen, cause they have to be. Never got over seing them in inner tubes, 1/2 mile out in the bay. Do the Three cities tour. Long day, but well worth it. Includes a stop at Che's mausoleum, the national hero. Don't knock him. best way to get around is with the bus that goes from one end of the peninsula, to the other. Can't remember the price, but one ticket let's you ride all day. Found a similar deal in Havana. Good place to spend at least a day. History going back to Columbus. Seems to me there was a sign in the airport, that you couldn't leave with fishing equipment. Don't ask me why, but don't take a GPS there either .

Grizz

ABFishFan
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Trey, Which hotel you have booked? And at what price? I am searching for a vacation package to Veradero too. I am thinking to bring my fishing rod too, but as Grizz said, if I couldn't leave the country with my fishing equipment, then there is no point of bringing my own.

Trey
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
ya that would be crappy to bring some gear down there only to have your own stuff ganked from you at the border/airport. this girl i know found the deal on that www.selloffvacations.com website, we got a last minute deal, 8 days down there all inclusive including flight and taxes and everything for $580 each, not sure on what the hotel is, (or the quality of hotel) right on the beach though. she had to look at a few websites everyday till she found a cheap one, i head redtag.com is another that offers last min deals. it worked out good, cause im laid off right now and never really travelled down there so anywhere is good for me. but this might not work out for you, if you have things like work and such cause we never got to pick out dates, they were all pre determined but the travel company

bukwild
01-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Guys if you go to the marina you can book a day trip fishing. The last time I went they charged us 550.00 for five guys all day (beer inc.) you can also purchase cheap gear at the marina and fish right off the inlet. Also if you bring a spear gun you can spearfish at Playa Oro not too far west of Veradero.

Albertadiver
01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Go on the cadermaran trip!! It was amazing. They cook fresh lobster for ya on a island way out in the ocean. I was there in Nov.

Cayo Blanco! Cayo Blanco!!! Best trip I've been on. Book the 'Canadian' tour which skips the dolphin show on the way home. (They take you to the show anyhow). The Canadian Catermeran always has far less people on it. That was an absolute blast!

We stayed at the Sirenas las Selina.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=sirenis+las+salina+varadero+beach+resort&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=_HgjTbaqO4Wg8QOHlYHYBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDwQsAQwBA

Good resort, very big, food was so-so. As long as you don't go in expecting the world, you'll have a great trip.

You need to go to Havana, that place has some awesome architecture. In the city, be careful of panhandlers and such. They get fairly bad.

Oh, and RUM. If you like rum, there is some amazing stuff down there. Same with the coffee.

As for fishing, didn't do any, but did see lots out snorkeling.

Chet
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Seems to me there was a sign in the airport, that you couldn't leave with fishing equipment. Don't ask me why, but don't take a GPS there either .

I've fished in Cuba several times and I always take my own gear. I don't think there are any rules preventing it. I typically carry my fly rods and reels on the plane with me so they don't get swiped out of my luggage. Hooks and other sharp things need to go in your checked bags of course.

I have never fished the Veradero area so I can't help with that.

Have fun!

BeerSlayer1
01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Good resort, very big, food was so-so. As long as you don't go in expecting the world, you'll have a great trip.

You need to go to Havana, that place has some awesome architecture. In the city, be careful of panhandlers and such. They get fairly bad.

Oh, and RUM. If you like rum, there is some amazing stuff down there. Same with the coffee.

Good advice, I'd also pack as much "comfort food" as you can. Chips, chocolate bars, CANNED HAM, etc the food in Cuba is not that great and you'll get really hungry.

Beer is great, Buccanero or Crystal.

The jeep tour is really good, lots to do and we had a great time.

Havana is a must see.

Search this forum there was Cuba threads last winter too.