PDA

View Full Version : There IS fish in Ghost Reservoir!!

nicemustang
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Was able sneak out yesterday afternoon to Ghost, haven't been in a while. I always fish near the island on the south side (heck of a walk BTW!). This time I thought to try between the island and the south bank, thinking it might be a migration route. It wasn't as deep as I hoped but immediately saw fish on flasher and landed 1 10" laker in the third hole I tried on a white/pink buzz bomb. That hole turned out to be in a hole, pretty much deepest part I could find. Setup camera (25 FOW) and saw quite a few fish cruising around. Caught another 10-11" incher 30 mins later. Saw a couple of bigger ones, maybe 18-20" fish but didn't land any. The the next two hours I'd see fish every 15 minutes. They'd come in a school of 3-5 or so, usually about the same size. Hooked one of the nice ones on a tube jig but it got of before I could get it in. All in all, a pretty good day for a lake that is fishless LOL. The little guys went back to grow bigger and be caught again.

I also tried to find the river channel but couldn't locate it. Should have marked it with my boat.

critter
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
nice work. i dont think ghost is fishless. theres just not enough fish in such a large body of water to be able to fish randfom shorelines and points and have reliable success. there are rock piles, humps and dropoffs out in the middle where no one fishes that you need to mark in the summer from a boat. ive done quite well before doing this at ghost, but have of course bin skunked many times too. Either way, just explore and try to purchase a depth chart, great report man

elementzero
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
i was there yesterday as well and only saw one on the fish cam all day. there was 5 of us out there. glad to hear someone had some luck or a good spot.

Outt and Aboutt
01-03-2011, 12:54 PM
I was out on Christmas eve with my son, on the south side of the island out from the community. We were fishing for whites in about 8 FOW. I had the fish cam down and looked up to see nothing but a set of jaws and eyes as a huge laker started to chew on the camera. I looked down the hole and saw a laker that ran 10-15 lb. A few minutes later a 5 pounder swam by. They must have been in shallow cruising for whites.

I've also marked some honking big fish in the river channel out from the parking lot.

They're out there. They just don't come easy.

D

nicemustang
01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
That happens for sure, few and far between but same thing at spray. I was at spray for one of the first times ever and out 100 feet from driftwood. Wife was fishing and caught a small rocky that was flying all over the place under our 6" hole (no snow and 8" of clear ice could see the rocky bottom too.). So as she was try to get the white through a big ass laker came and took a couple of swipes at the white and finally got it and the fish got off and he had a nice meal. Probably was 15 - 20 lbs. Tried again in same spot a couple of times and never saw another laker. Them are the breaks I guess.

Bigdad013
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
How is the ice out at ghost? Thick enough foe vehicles yet?

nicemustang
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, lots of people driving on, plenty of ice for me to drive on but test it for yourself.

Dust1n
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
iv only caught little 4 inch cuts from shore by the docks but theres no shortag of the 4 inchers just jiigg