PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Near Airdrie

Bound2Fish
01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Im looking for a good place to ice fish with lots of action around Airdrie, preferably within an hour or so. Like catching bike pike and walley just for sport factor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ragweed
01-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm in Airdrie as well and usually end up driving to MacGregor for Pike.
It's a long hike but the kids love the action. We've never had a bad day there. We never catch big ones though. I'm sure there are some in there, but none in the spot we go to.

If we're looking to keep something, we usually head to Spray Lakes.
It's a shorter drive and since the action stops earlier in the day, we're usually home quite a bit earlier.

Pine Coulee and Chain Lakes by Longview have also been very good to myself and the kids.

None of those spots are within an hour or have ever produced large fish for us....however they have always produced and we enjoy the scenery at each location differently.

aulrich
01-04-2011, 09:15 AM
When it comes to access to fishable water I do miss Winnipeg, the Calgary area just has limited water, mind you flyfishing the bow comes close to making up for it.

X2 on the above, you could also go north, though I have only fished pine myself, gull, pigeon or sylvan are options as well, I live in the south east and hate driving through town to go fish but thats me.

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Welcome to southern alberta! Unfortunately there are no places close to you that you have requested within 1 hr. My advice, get yourself a Barry Mitchell's guide from Canadian Tire. That will give you a map and a good place to start. Looking up alberta fish stocking reports and fish for the many stocked trout in the ponds (My Wild Alberta (http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx). There are a few places within an hr to start. As for big pike and walleye, move out of AB LOL. Kidding, but it will take considerable amount of work and driving to lakes more than an 1hr away. Crawling Valley, McGregor, Travers, Newell for the close southern AB reservoirs. Or going central AB (where there is lots of fishing pressure) there is Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Pigeon.

Since your new to the forum, 30+ of us are going to be out on Spray Lake this saturday. Good time to meet people and make some friends willing to show you a couple of decent spots to fish. Look for my post.

Bound2Fish
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I might have to make the trip out to McGregor, I heard Travers has been slow and on the 15th im heading up to Gull to see if that produces. Thanks for the tips guys.

Northern Spirit
01-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Nice Mustang

Perhaps i could send you a raod map for your birthday ! Sylvan Lake is within an hour of Airdrie and every winter some great pike come out of that lake !

jts1
01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice Mustang

Perhaps i could send you a raod map for your birthday ! Sylvan Lake is within an hour of Airdrie and every winter some great pike come out of that lake !

That was called for.... :snapoutofit:

Have a look at my google map thread, it may help. Shoot a PM anytime. Allways happy know a new local fishermen.

ORV
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
if you can make it from airdire to sylvan lake in less than an hour
i don,t want to be driving with you.lol
takes me 1.5 hours.. going 110 kph that is.

nicemustang
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice Mustang

Holy **** you as$hole. Is that really necessary to post this BS? For one, I live just east of Airdire and it's at least 130 kms from the north edge of Airdrie and the south edge of sylvan, not including other driving, or on the lake, etc. So unless you are speeding there is no way it's under an hour.

Not only that, at least I was trying to help, as I always do. Why don't you get off your soap box and actually help someone instead of lurking and posting negative ****.

Bertuzzi
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
That-a-boy NiceMustang! Would you like me to sucker punch him from behind? lol No need for those type of comments, especially when you're trying to help a fellow fisherman. :fighting0074:

Crusty
01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
some people are so ignorant and others very sensitive. chill, go ice fishing.

Sir. Kenneth
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Holy **** you as$hole. Is that really necessary to post this BS? For one, I live just east of Airdire and it's at least 130 kms from the north edge of Airdrie and the south edge of sylvan, not including other driving, or on the lake, etc. So unless you are speeding there is no way it's under an hour.

Not only that, at least I was trying to help, as I always do. Why don't you get off your soap box and actually help someone instead of lurking and posting negative ****.

Yes i do believe this guy must be driving the back roads at 140 KM an hour or so because I live in the very NW corner of Airdrie and we did Sylvan last monday and it took pretty much an hour and 15-20 mins.

Bound2Fish
01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
So where is a good spot to drive onto sylvan and go fishing?

nicemustang
01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
You can get on at the marina in town or at many other places, rr23, etc.

drhu22
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I worked with a guy who used to catch pike in the small unnamed ponds and reservoirs that are part of the irrigation system just east of airdrie.
This was summer though so i dont know about ice fishing.

4wildlife
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Welcome to southern alberta! Unfortunately there are no places close to you that you have requested within 1 hr. My advice, get yourself a Barry Mitchell's guide from Canadian Tire. That will give you a map and a good place to start. Looking up alberta fish stocking reports and fish for the many stocked trout in the ponds (My Wild Alberta (http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports.aspx). There are a few places within an hr to start. As for big pike and walleye, move out of AB LOL. Kidding, but it will take considerable amount of work and driving to lakes more than an 1hr away. Crawling Valley, McGregor, Travers, Newell for the close southern AB reservoirs. Or going central AB (where there is lots of fishing pressure) there is Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Pigeon.

Since your new to the forum, 30+ of us are going to be out on Spray Lake this saturday. Good time to meet people and make some friends willing to show you a couple of decent spots to fish. Look for my post.
Do you have directions to the location you and your group will be ice fishing at?
At what time will you all be there?
Does one have to walk a long distance? (Disabled)

Would enjoy meeting some other ice fishing people

ragweed
01-06-2011, 10:14 PM
It is all listed under a Thread called Spray Lake AOF gathering Jan 8th.
The most recent thread is an update thread.