PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Update

Penner
01-04-2011, 08:48 AM
It was probably the best day I have ever had ice fishing on Pigeon yesterday. Caught a limit of Whites by 2:00pm and by days end icing 14 Whites in total. All were over 3lbs and a few were in the 5lb range for certain. Supplemented that with a couple of nice Walleyes in the 2-3lb range and all hell broke loose when a rather large Pike (12lb - 15lb range) decided to do a drive by then turned around and proceeded to digest my Whitefish lure and set-up. The bugger took one large run and I quickly noticed I was running out of fishing line. Did everything I could to slow him down but in shallow water (6 feet) and 4lb test there wasn’t much I could do. Eventually he spooled me. Didn’t see a White for a good hour after that fright train came through. Got the heart pumping though!

Everything was catch and released as I still have couple left from my buddies smoker but supply is running low. Will be out again soon before the bite stops.

Ice grew a few inches from last week is now 16” thick. Snow is also deeper (got more snow than the city these past few days) and drifted and is for sure 4x4 only. Any more significant snow fall (6" or more) and traveling will be almost impossible being hampered by deep snow and surface water. Water already begining to percolate up slowly from the holes I had drilled.

:happy0180:

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Good report and good day of fishing.

Question: How is the snow on the lake? Like if I wanted to drive out into the middle, is the snow too much for a 4x4 or is it still OK?

dragon
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Question: How is the snow on the lake? Like if I wanted to drive out into the middle, is the snow too much for a 4x4 or is it still OK?

There were people driving across the middle in what looked like a small suV last night when I packed her in...

Good to see they were biting somewhere!

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Cool, it will be 2-3 weeks before I get there so hoefully not much snow. I guess we will bring the sled just in case. Tough getting to the mid lake humps if there is too much snow LOL. My buddy still needs to fill his tags.

Rockymtnx
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the report. I am glad to hear it wasn’t DEAD.
Too bad I am in the office all week and won’t be able to hit the ice.

angler1
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Cool, it will be 2-3 weeks before I get there so hoefully not much snow. I guess we will bring the sled just in case. Tough getting to the mid lake humps if there is too much snow LOL. My buddy still needs to fill his tags.
Hi cuz, if you are interested I have some very good gps points for wallys, without the crowds. We also managed to haul out a 47in pike at one of those locations. PM for coordinates. Happy New Year.

Penner
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM

With a 4x4 right now is no problem other than its drifted in right along the shorelines. If you get past that its fairly smooth sailing out on the lake itself.

Personally I don't know if I have the courage to drive out to the middle of the lake with a full-size pickup or full-size SUV just yet. Take it slow and use plenty of caution if you decide to. Good luck.

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
No worries, we have more ice driving experience than the average joe and we will be careful, but not likely going for a couple more weeks yet.

Rumtan
01-04-2011, 12:46 PM
You can get on at Johnsonia entrance......nice trail out to the middle.

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh yes, made me think of something else. Is the mulhurst launch heaved up too bad to get one nicely?

dragon
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh yes, made me think of something else. Is the mulhurst launch heaved up too bad to get one nicely?

lotsa truck out there

horsetrader
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Was there sunday boat ramp is barricaded ice heave has torn up the concrete
launch. But you can get down where the old launch was right a the threeway
no problem

nicemustang
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
oh, so the mulhurst launch in the summer will need some help? Darn.

jacob1202
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
oh, so the mulhurst launch in the summer will need some help? Darn.

if u want to get on... do u know the 4 way stop as your coming into mulhurst... instead of driving into mulhurst hang a left and head south... go just past the camp and there is a boat launch there... ive always found if u head towards mulhurst from there ... there is a point ... some good freinds actually own the property there and in that bay has been wild for whites... and just off the point is great for wallys

SNAPFisher
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Wow! Congrats on the great day out. I've never had one that "white filled'. Sylvan yes, Pigeon no.

I made it out for a few hours on the same day as you. Landed 2 lost 2 whites. I found the only time I could find a white was 9:30 - 10 a.m. So it was a short bite where I was. Had 4 come through at once though and that got me going. Landed 2 wallies as well. No pike seen this time.

Should be top notch white fishing for 1-2 weeks yet. At least that is my experience.

Cheers!

Soiler
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Nice job!! I was out this am off johnsonia (9FOW) to start & kept moving south past sandholm into 20 plus ft of water!! Very slow!!! Assuming it was the snow blowing in that put them down! Talked to anyone we passed & they weren't having much better luck!!! 16 inches of ice in 21 FOW.Where bouts were you at? PM me if you don't mind!!

Penner
01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Up at the NE end of the lake. First point in the bay just north of Sandholm. Came on from I think it's called Sundance beach?