PDA

View Full Version : Auger Tune-up

secretspot
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey any board members know where i could get my auger tuned up in Edmonton. Jiffy 3 hp stx. 10".
Lawnmower hospital iI heard is a no-no so any ideas?
Thanks,

linger
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
yes i would stay away from the LMH went there last winter to get parts for my strikemaster got lousy attitude from them don't care about your buinness even the company i work for won.t deal with them i would try power equipment center on argyll road if i remember right between 91 and 99 street ask for jeff:)

Fishalot
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I have been very happy with Alberta Small Engine Services. They just moved to a new location on 50 Street, about 62 Avenue. Give them a call at 944-9559

chubbdarter
01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
talking about tune - ups. ive used opti oil in all my small engines and since have not required a tune up.....i dont even drain the fuel at seasons end.....and its simple to use no measuring

Opti-2 is a specialized two-cycle, single mix ratio lubricant engineered for use in all two-cycle engines, regardless of brand, model, or mix ratio.
Opti-2 is rated ISO-EG-D++, the highest rating available in the stringent International Standards Organization global performance ratings system. Opti-2 meets and exceeds all equipment manufacturers rating requirements.
Opti-2 is formulated utilizing patented Eutectic additive technology that provides exclusive performance results:

- One gas can covers all two-cycle engines.
- Highest rated 2-cycle oil in industry
- A single mix for all two-cycle engines.
- Increased performance and longer engine life.
- Smoke-free operation.
- Gasohol compatible.
- Contains "Opti-Mizer" fuel stabilizer.

Opti-2 delivers all these features while being the most environmentally friendly two-cycle mix oil available.
Opti-2's smoke reduction, and gasohol compatibility contribute to cleaner air, while up to 60% less oil is required, which helps conserve a precious non-renewable resource

randster
01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
I have been very happy with Alberta Small Engine Services. They just moved to a new location on 50 Street, about 62 Avenue. Give them a call at 944-9559

x 2 I like this shop, good service and parts.

secretspot
01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Hay thanks for all the quick replies. Guy I work with suggested the rental house in Leduc and its close to work. Anyone had any good or bad experiences going there?
Can't wait to make swiss cheese out of Long Lake.
Thanks,

Jiffy10
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Try Eddy's on the north end of Edmt. He's behind Leons off of 137th

This guy can fix boat motors/ lawnmowers/ snowblowers etc.
He grew up in the north country and really knows how to make
a gas auger sing !! they can be kinda touchy at the best of times

Eddy is a no nonsense guy and is an owner operator. No one eles
will work on your stuff except him.

Try him out....... or keep this Info handy for when you do....

Bolete
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I had decent service at the rental house in Leduc. My opinion of the LMH mirrors that of the above mentioned posts. I will NEVER walk in there again.

GEO.
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
If your going south from the boat launch on Long Lake at Long Lake Prov. Pk, watch out for the soft spot (spring) just befor the point,by the beech on the west side of the lake.Do me a favor and go all the way to the south end and tell me how the fishing was.

thefloormat
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
yes i would stay away from the LMH went there last winter to get parts for my strikemaster got lousy attitude from them don't care about your buinness even the company i work for won.t deal with them i would try power equipment center on argyll road if i remember right between 91 and 99 street ask for jeff:)

you could tune it up yourself, pull off the carb, take it apart after going to the above mentioned poer equipment centre on argyl and 95st and buying a rebuild kit, got mine from there for an eskimo auger that is 10+ years old, they had the walbro kit in stock. Wont take you an hour to get it all apart and rebuild it. also a new spark plug and fuel filter inside the fuel tank. probably $30 for all the parts.

Remember where your fuel screws are set to, set them the same as when you took it apart. then tweak once all is back together.

I too have started using opti 2, the idea that its mixture is good for any 2 stroke engine, and contains a fuel stabilizer is great for seasonal small engines. will put it in the saw, auger, mower and weed wacker. smokeless too, amazing the difference from the 50:1 saw gas mixture i was using.

Not using fuel stabilizer in your engine and letting it sit over a season is the main reason a rebuild is required. so rememebr to use stabilizer.

secretspot
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow what a great turnaround on my auger.
Took it in 1-05-2011 and got it back 1-07-2011 at lunch time.
So far it runs great I'll really see after its under load but I am super impressed with turnaround time and they were helpful as all get out. Told me about the same as the previous post about the fuel stabilizer. It apperantley conditions and protects seals? Good to know. Price was great as well 60 bucks...yeah iI know great eh? LMH is done. Spead the word.

AbProwler
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Try Eddy's on the north end of Edmt. He's behind Leons off of 137th

This guy can fix boat motors/ lawnmowers/ snowblowers etc.
He grew up in the north country and really knows how to make
a gas auger sing !! they can be kinda touchy at the best of times

Eddy is a no nonsense guy and is an owner operator. No one eles
will work on your stuff except him.

Try him out....... or keep this Info handy for when you do....

Took my 10 year old Jiffy "50" anniversity into him yesterday.
He gave it the first tune-up it has ever had, new carb kit,plug and adjusted the govenor. Total was $80.00!
He had it back to me in 2.5 hrs!!!!!!!!!:)

Jiffy10
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Good to hear a Story with a happy ending..

Eddy does great work and is a real character.

If anyone has a Techumshe on their auger.... I had a hell of time
getting a carb kit this fall . I finally ordered one from Michigan on
e-bay cheaper than any of the crooks around here. And to boot....
no one had any stockin Edmt . So last week I found someone on e-bay that
was selling them cheap . I ordered 3 kits that include needle/seat and a diaphram.
If anyone needs one let me know. I want one for a spare so 2 extra
will be available.
They should be here in 12 days
or so. 446-3911
They should be about $14 after frt. etc.

AbProwler
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Mine has a Tech., must have gotten lucky as Eddy had one in stock.:sHa_shakeshout:

TJG
02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
No offence, but u dont need a complete rebuild, and if its just running rough, u may just need a carb adjustment. Dont remove the carb, just buy a diaghram and replace the plug and filter, run it and make carb adjustments.

you could tune it up yourself, pull off the carb, take it apart after going to the above mentioned poer equipment centre on argyl and 95st and buying a rebuild kit, got mine from there for an eskimo auger that is 10+ years old, they had the walbro kit in stock. Wont take you an hour to get it all apart and rebuild it. also a new spark plug and fuel filter inside the fuel tank. probably $30 for all the parts.

Remember where your fuel screws are set to, set them the same as when you took it apart. then tweak once all is back together.

I too have started using opti 2, the idea that its mixture is good for any 2 stroke engine, and contains a fuel stabilizer is great for seasonal small engines. will put it in the saw, auger, mower and weed wacker. smokeless too, amazing the difference from the 50:1 saw gas mixture i was using.

Not using fuel stabilizer in your engine and letting it sit over a season is the main reason a rebuild is required. so rememebr to use stabilizer.

TJG
02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
There should be two screws and an idle set screw. The low speed screw, slowly turn in and out to get the fastest and smoothest idle then back it out from that position 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You should be able to hit the gas and have no hesitation. Next is the High screw, hold throttle WO and turn screw in and out to find highest rev's then back it out from that position 1/8 to 1/4. Low speed should be for most 2 strokes 3/4 to 1 1/4 open high speed 1 1/4 to 1 1/2( find the manual ) There might be plastic limiter caps over the screws, take them off. Use a good synthetic oil

Jiffy10
02-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Agreed !

those settings are exactly what you need to do. The reason I do
a complete kit is for 3 reasons. First off.... its a chance to get
any additional gunk/varnish and other kinds of snot completlely of the
entire carb. Anything worth doing is worth doing right ! Yes a diaphram
from the bottom is a good fix but not 100% .
Secondly the entire kit with needle seat etc is less than $15 bucks.
(anyone need a kit.. call me 446-3911 )
3 rd and most important reason is this.
There seems to be less time in my world to get out on the ice.
So any time I can get out...... everything better work well and
if it doesnt... then its my own fault. Thats why I carry an extra
swede-bore 8" and my drill with two batterys. Jiffy has neve let me
down yet but Karma says it will some day.
If something goes wrong I always want a back up.

Get'r done.......