PDA

View Full Version : Ice at Island Lake (Athabasca)

crazyperch
01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey all, im thinking about doing another trip up to Island lake (the one by Athabasca) on saturday and im just wondering if anyone has been out there and what the ice is like now.
when i was out there about a month ago the ice was about 8" thick with 8-12" of snow on it.
Im hoping we can drive on now.

Thanks for the help

highwood
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I drove past Island a week and half ago and numerous trucks were driving on at the boat launch on the Northwest corner. I can't tell you how much ice there is, but some of the smaller lakes in the area have about 15 inches with alot of surface water. Bring your rubbers if you drive on.

Whitetail77
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I recently heard lots of top water.

crazyperch
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks for the heads up, i went out and bought some insulated rubber boots last weekend after hearing about how most lakes have flood water.

Safety D
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
island will be hott right now !!!!!

jka300
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
I was planing to go there maybe this week, if the boss lets me. (if you know what I mean)

Thanks for the info about the top water.

crazyperch
01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Safety have you been out there lately? If so what's biting?

crazyperch
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
well it looks like island lake is going to be out for this weekend.
i think we are going to head up to Chump instead.
we had luck out there on new years eve, even tho they were tiny perch.

finner-duramax
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
i drove out on island yesterday, about 15 inchs of ice.
perch where slow but caught some nice ones.
biggest 14 inchs

Safety D
01-08-2011, 07:50 PM
THe medium sized jacks are always biting good there. That is one of the best pike lakes around !!!

baptiste_moose
01-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Went to Island today. It's screwed for driving on. Sooo much flood water and at least 22" of snow on the lake by the end of the day. Perch was very slow. Walked a km and a half with tobbogan and auger just to wet a line. By the end of the day we were walking in 8" of water around our holes. Long ways to travel for nothing.

finner-duramax
01-10-2011, 01:00 AM
hey baptiste, are u a local up there?
cause if u know where the perch are they r always there.
i fish in 6 feet of water there so u can see he perch perfect if u are in a tent.
i was there thursday and i saw a crap load of perch but only a few bit.
and i drove on

Kim473
01-10-2011, 06:32 AM
hey baptiste, are u a local up there?
cause if u know where the perch are they r always there.
i fish in 6 feet of water there so u can see he perch perfect if u are in a tent.
i was there thursday and i saw a crap load of perch but only a few bit.
and i drove on

Where do you access the lake? Never been there before. I would like to give it a try sometime after hitting Calling for some eyes. On the way back to ED. Where abouts on the lake do the perch hang out there, if you dont mind me asking? Not looking for your honey hole but would like a good starting spot to try and hunt them down. Thx.

baptiste_moose
01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
finner-duramax. Are u the guy who stopped at calling. we had that pull behind ice fishing shack. I have a cabin at baptiste. Gimmie a call when u get this. 217-8033 my name is Dorin.

finner-duramax
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
lake has really slowed down and lots of flood water, you where right baptiste_moose.
lots of snow and and flood water.

something2525
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Was out at Island lake on Sunday here past and Oh my god there is a ton of snow! Then your walking and ploooped into water very hard to walk on evn maybe snow shoes? Got to my spot and the perch wernt there???? waited got 2 hammer handles and a 7 inch perch arrghh all that work for what? This lake is starting to tick me off its so hit and miss! Just my opinion!

kitchen
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Was out at Island lake on Sunday here past and Oh my god there is a ton of snow! Then your walking and ploooped into water very hard to walk on evn maybe snow shoes? Got to my spot and the perch wernt there???? waited got 2 hammer handles and a 7 inch perch arrghh all that work for what? This lake is starting to tick me off its so hit and miss! Just my opinion!

yeah, you are right about that lake. i think its overrated, and the chinese have gobbled all the perch out of it! i would rather go to hasse or teentimes (not the website).

baptiste_moose
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I second that buddy.