PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing for kids

stevemccallum
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Anyone have any recommendations of where to take kids ice fishing within an hour or two of Leduc? Been away international for 4 years so way off track with what lakes are still producing decent results...any recommendations for trout, perch or whites are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FishingFrenzy
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
It really depends on what kind of fish you would like to go for but for kids i'd say trout/perch? maybe some walleye or pike?

Anyway around edmonton you basically have Pigeon which is good for lots of walleye, some white, a few burbs and the odd pike. then coming a bit further north you have wizard which has lots of small pike and a good population of burbot. Also some perch/whitefish in there too i think?

There's also Coal, which to the best of my knowledge has been pretty slow so far this year but is still good for a couple small pike.

Then you have the stocked ponds: Leduc Reservoir (Almost impossible to catch fish there), Beaumont is a good places for kids as there is lots of small rainbows in there, you also have morinville, hermitage in edmonton, and quite a few others.

If you want to go a bit further out too Stony Plain area you have the potholes. Hasse and Spring which have the ODD rainbow and TONS of small perch, are great for kids. You also have some stocked trout ponds without perch like Star, Chickakoo, Sauer, East pit and a couple others, these can be alright for kids but they have there slow days like all lakes. For pike/perch/burbot/walleye you have Jackfish which is pretty good in the summer, dunno about the winter. You also have Mayatan and mink with some pike and perch but again they tend to be pretty slow.

If you want to head a bit farther you have Wabuman which has the potential for quantity but usually is much better for quality. Trophy pike caught out of there every week! If you have small kids they might not be able to handle 10-30lb pike! You also have Lac St Anne and Lake Isle which, from reading the reports it seems like haven't produced much yet but pickup later in the season.

Remember to pickup a regs book before you head out!

Tight lines!

stevemccallum
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll be able to keep them busy and get them interested in the sport.

Bound2Fish
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Head out to Coal Lake, it has been my go to for years when I lived in leduc. lots of great little pike and everyonce and a while you come across a 10 - 15 lber. Great fun and the fishing has always been good to me. Not sure how it has been this year. Good luck

bloopbloob
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Head out to Coal Lake, it has been my go to for years when I lived in leduc. lots of great little pike and everyonce and a while you come across a 10 - 15 lber. Great fun and the fishing has always been good to me. Not sure how it has been this year. Good luck

might want to NOT go to coal..... you can look up some recent reports/updates about it using search, but it is not producing like it used to.... Everyone is saying it is very slow this year, me included.