PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Cuba

s_erickson
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Has anyone done any fly fishing or deep sea fishing down in cuba (or other southern destinations). My wife and I are heading down there for our honeymoon and im thinking about bringing my fly rod but i can't find any info on the reg's, and i cant even find pricing for a charter trip. If you have been down and have info please let me know.

Willowtrail
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Check out this website.
http://www.sfotf.ca
Don did 2 episodes down in Cuba. Maybe if you can't find it email Don and ask. I'm sure he's help you out.

bobalong
01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Has anyone done any fly fishing or deep sea fishing down in cuba (or other southern destinations). My wife and I are heading down there for our honeymoon and im thinking about bringing my fly rod but i can't find any info on the reg's, and i cant even find pricing for a charter trip. If you have been down and have info please let me know.

We went a couple of years ago flyfishing at Cayo Coco. Guided was 175/day with boat and guide. We had our own gear. Most of the Hotel staff can hook you up with any kind of guide you need. There is fly fishing, walk and wade, or deep sea. Some guys were fishing with spinning gear of shore doing ok as well. If you are going to Cayo Coco ask for Dunisky he is a die hard Bonefish/Flyfising guy and knows his stuff. They have little or no fly tying material so if you go take some with you for him, it will make his day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/Cuba127.jpg

This flat was probably about 5 miles long. We fished this on our own, it was about a 30 minute cab ride from the Tryp. (by the old ship wreck)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2789.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2788.jpg

Kingfisher
01-06-2011, 01:36 AM
I also went fly fishing in Cayo Coco. Where are you going to stay. Cayo Coco or Varadaro?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=30950&stc=1&d=1294303307

As far as regulations go the government regulates everything in Cuba.

Rob

s_erickson
01-06-2011, 09:01 AM
looks like quite the place to fish. Were looking at Varadero. She wants to go there for the beaches, but from what i've read the best fishing is up on the northwest tip by havana. Oh well, i guess it is technically a honeymoon. I Dont tie my own fly's yet (only been fly fishing for a year) so what kind of materials should i bring. I shouldnt have any problems bring a bunch of fly gear across the border should I ( I've never left the country)? Any specific gear i should bring with me, i saw that they average around 4-5 pound bonefish, so i figured my 8 wt with a large arbor reel should work, but some people are saying i need a 9-10? Thanks again for all the info guys, I figure the more prepared i can go the better off the trip will be.

s_erickson
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM
well i just google mapped where varadero is, and yeah, looks pretty good to me. I thought it was on the south end of the island for some reason.

Trey
01-06-2011, 10:57 PM
im going to veradero on sat. for 8 days, but i cant afford a charter with all the other things planned, but im more concerned about bringing gear down there, i read on another thread that they take it from you at the airport when you leave, and other people are telling me its fine. i was going to bring a cheapo spinning rod (no case just stuffed in my backpack) and a few spoons and see what happens

Kingfisher
01-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Cayo Coco has really nice beaches as well as Varadaro. Varadaro is closer to Havana. Cayo Coco is on the East side of Cuba. But hey if your honey wants to be in Varadaro then so be it. My wife really loved our hotel and wants to go back. She doesn't say that very often about places.

I bring my 10' 8wt fast action fly rods with me. My rods are 4 piece so they tuck away nicely in my suitcase. I have only ever had one problem bringing my rods with me. That was in Grand Cayman. I had a 2 piece rod then and it didn't come with all the other baggage. I waited and got security to go check on it. Funny how it came out once security got involved.

I would recommend tying flies long before you get there. If you are going to tie flies down there then I'd bring everything you will need as they have NOTHING down there to tie flies with. That is unless you are prepared to chase around the odd chicken.

If you would like some recommendations for flies to bring I can help with that too.

Have a great trip. Also congratulations.

Cheers,
Rob

Trey
01-07-2011, 01:38 AM
nice bone rob. ive heard they are a very hard fish to catch

Kingfisher
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
They are hard to catch Trey. It's like trying to catch a wild cat. You may get close enough to see them. But once you move if they catch even a bit of movement they are gone like the wind. On that particular trip to Cuba I was lucky because I saw the fish before the guide did. He was saying to cast somewhere else and I ignored him and cast to the school that was coming from a different direction. Once I tied into one the other guys I was fishing with saw the school turn towards them and one of them also got into a fish.

Once hooked they run like crazy. In Cuba they seem to have a good average size of 3 to 5 pounds. But you get some larger one's in the 8 to 10 pound range. They sure make an 8wt rod bend.

One thing for people to keep in mind if your fly fishing for bone fish. Make sure you have a good size reel with at least a couple hundred yards of backing. My reel that you can see in the picture is a Lamson Velocity 3.5 . This reel has been bullet proof for me. I have used it several times in salt water. But the key is after each and every day of fishing I put my rods and reels into the shower and rinse them off. I also soak the reel in a sink full of hot water before I rinse it in the shower. Just to be sure and get all of the salt out.

http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/05/82/lamson-velocity-hybrid-v3-5-reel-8-9-wt_1003515_175.jpg
The Lamson Velocity 3.5

There are lots of other good reels that you can get for fishing salt water. Islander, Abel, Hardy, Tibor. The list goes on and on. Make sure yours if fully anodized. Otherwise the salt will begin to eat at it as soon as it hits the salt water.

Rob

Okotokian
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Slight sidetrack, please?????????

We are planning another winter vacation. Are getting sick of Mexico. Been to Veradero once. Liked it and are thinking of going again, but the food and service at the first hotel we stayed at were TERRIBLE. The food is often a frequent complaint in Cuba. SO bland, SO blah. I'm also a sailing nut and got free sailing, but you HAD to have a guide (guard?) with you at all times on the little catamaran.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good beachfront resort with good food? Wife refuses to book unless we actually get some info on a good place. All-inclusive sailing would be nice but not necessary. Unsupervised sailing would be heaven. Veradero preferred but would consider elsewhere. You can pm me if you don't want to take this thread too far offline.

Thanks and Sorry.

Red Fisher
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I posted this earlier for another Varadero bound fisherman. He was more interested in chartering. I would pack your own rod and reel etc....Just make it something that breaks down small enough to fit into a suitcase.

Previous post regarding Varadero:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there

Was there 6 years ago. Best marina to book a charter out of is Chapelin. There was about 10 boats there for hire. Get there by 8-830 am. Then you will be able to get one with a captain with a bit of English. Nice looking boats. Typically $300 US for a half day fishing incl food and drinks. IF you want beer, ask for it before you leave. We caught a few small barricuda, and a few smalls marlin (striped). We heard of one charter who would dive for fresh lobster and cook them on the boat for you for $15.

I have a friend who went to Cienagrade and went bonefishing. They fight very very hard, and jump right out of the water. Never caught one myself, but hear its allot of fun. If you go to Cienagrade Peninsula Zapata, ask for Yorgis. He is supposedly the best fishing charter in the area, and speaks some english. Lots of cudas, bonefish and the odd dorado, striped marlin in this area.

Take your own tackle. They use pretty junkie stuff for the most part. And the people in Cuba are very happy and friendly, but very poor. Household items and old clothes are great gifts / tips. They really love soap, shampoo, chocolate, paper, pens etc.....That stuff is very expensive there. We laughed because you can buy a 40 oz of rum for $2, but a bottle of shampoo costs $12. The people there make very little money.

PS, the food at the resorts are good, but not great. Kind of bland. There is an area in Varadero (Josone PArk) where they built a bunch of restaurants in pre-revolution mansions. The food in these restaurants is unreal. My wife and I had steak supper, 5 courses, and two good bottles of red wine for $60. It was a memorable supper, although I cant remember the name of the restaurant. There is a an unreal Italian place there, and a restaurant built into a cave that had awesome steaks and lobster for under $30. People at your hotel will get you in the right direction. Completely recomend getting into town early in your trip, as I think you will enjoy it and go often. Also, people who took the day tour into Havana to tour cigar factory and or go to Copa Cabana raved about the experience. I went fishing instead. If you are into nightclubbing, Two words for you-- The Cave (Pirate), is very busy/crowded but allot of fun-- outstanding. Bring back some cigars. Monte Cristo's are my fav

That is all I know. Good luck, and enjoy Cuba. We loved it there.

s_erickson
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Well i guess its a new fly rod and reel for me befor i head down then. the 6-7 tfo wont cut it. From what people are saying about getting there rods taken and stuff im going to opt for the 4 piece that will fit in my travel bag. Feb 27 is the day so hopefully i'll be able to post some pics up afterwards of the elusive bonefish. Thanks for all the info guys.

BeerSlayer1
01-09-2011, 11:21 PM
a restaurant built into a cave that had awesome steaks and lobster for under $30.

That'd be La Gruta del Vina, pretty good.

There's good restaurants in Havana.

s_erickson
01-16-2011, 12:29 PM
My wife is going to be coming fishing with me so i think a charter would probably be the best bet. Does anyone have a name of a charter company near varadero that would take us out. I still cant seem to find a company in varadero anywhere on the internet, all other places in cuba, but not there. Or a price that would be accurate for the area for a day.

s_erickson
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Finally stopped being lazy and decided to post it. the only fish i caught while i was there, but it was an unreal expeirnce being out there.

zvezda011
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
I am going to Cuba to Cayo Santa Maria in April 2012. I would like to go fishing for the day by renting a boat and a guide. Is there a company or an individual I can contact for more information?

Kingfisher
06-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Zvezda here is some information from my guide I had in Cayo Coco. He might not guide in the area your looking for but at least he may be able to give you some advice as to a guide where your going.

The guide I used was Orlando Gonzalez Alvarez I'll give you his contact information

Orlando Alvarez
Phone (53) (33) 503339
Cell phone (53) 52811726
Email orlandofishinguide@yahoo.es

Good luck with your search.

I would go back to Cuba in a heartbeat.

Rob

elnino54
06-25-2011, 07:52 AM
I was just in Cayo Cuba Cuba last month fishing with Orlando Alvarez. It was an awesome trip. Here is a link to a video I made of tht trip. I had to make it 2 parts because its longer than 15 min......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCcxLhVWy0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL