PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake Jan 9th fishing.

moosehunter3-0
01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
As soon as I put my line down this white came in and nailed my wireworm (no maggots) without hesitation. After catching this white after only fishing like 2 minutes I figured it was going to be a good day, but it wasn't lol. The entire morning I only seen one other white which was quite a bit larger then the one I caught but it was suspended and never seen my hook. The guy I was with managed one pike, which is a miracle for us lol. First pike of the year and if the fishing doesn't get better it might be the only one of the year. 31.5 inches and it weighs 8 pounds 6 ounces. My whitefish weighs 2 pounds 6 ounces and is 18.5" - another average one. We never seen a single perch. Their was a huge group of people fishing about 400 yards away, so I am only assuming they must have been catching something. Who knows the whites may have migrated :lol:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/moosehunter30/P1080034.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/moosehunter30/P1090039.jpg
Super cold day and the lake is full of deep snow drifts. The fish were both frozen in less then 2 minutes.

Alberta Bigbore
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice Gull lake cucumber!! Ill prolly wait till the late ice to get out, I just cant get motivated yet to go ice fishing this year... lol... I must be sick

pecker
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
don't you just love that pike slime in the sink . :sign0176: my wife doesn't :angry3:

The Great Outdoors
01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Had a bunch of experience with brook trout slime this year and learned a new tactic to deal with the problem. Wash them and then give them a good old pat down with a paper towel and the slime and slipping is all gone. Seems like common sense, but took me 20 years to learn this skill!

bobjoe
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Had a bunch of experience with brook trout slime this year and learned a new tactic to deal with the problem. Wash them and then give them a good old pat down with a paper towel and the slime and slipping is all gone. Seems like common sense, but took me 20 years to learn this skill!

That is similar to what I did to it. I just washed it off I didn't dry it off. Should make good eating though.

burbotman14
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
How was the driving on the lake? There are usually some pretty beaten main roads, so I am just wondering how those are doing. Thanks

moosehunter3-0
01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Beaten roads are non-existent. The lake is pretty drifted right now, but a truck with 4 wheel drive will have no problem.