PDA

View Full Version : mayan riv or belize deep sea info please

nof60
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
going on a holiday in march. not interested in the flats but has anyone done any deep sea or reef fishing in either place? if so how was it and what charter and where did u stay and any other info

Rockymtnx
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
What species do you want to target?

I have fished the Mayan several times now. There are several charters out of Cancun I would recommend.
www.fishingcharterscancun.com
www.cancunfishingcharters.com

Further south down the Mayan coast out of Puerto Aventuras, there is Captain Ricks. Look him up on Google and you will find a lot of good comments on his operation.
www.captricksfishing.com

seahawkfisher
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
gone with cptn ricks a number of times; good english and for the most part, good guides
have fun out there
not our best trip, but the only pic i could find (this was with the least experienced guide but still managed to land these on a 4 hour tour
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/2007_0819weddingpics0616.jpg
good luck

madatter
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
gone with cptn ricks a number of times; good english and for the most part, good guides
have fun out there
not our best trip, but the only pic i could find (this was with the least experienced guide but still managed to land these on a 4 hour tour
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/2007_0819weddingpics0616.jpg
good luck

That is who we are going with in Febuary....doing the whole day tho
I didn't really have much in picking him but the sister in law researches things to death and found him....

seahawkfisher
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
hope the fishing is good for you; like i said, other than that time we have had great experiences with them - very professional for mexico
where are you stayin; i can make some recomendations for stuff to do in riviera / playa del carmen area if you are interested. PM ifi you like
cheers

Duk Dog
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
+1 for Capt Rick.

madatter
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
hope the fishing is good for you; like i said, other than that time we have had great experiences with them - very professional for mexico
where are you stayin; i can make some recomendations for stuff to do in riviera / playa del carmen area if you are interested. PM ifi you like
cheers

We are staying at the El Dorado Seaside Resort.
We are only there for a week,one day of fishing,one day of touring the ruins and the rest is gonna be relaxin on the beach!:)

seahawkfisher
01-14-2011, 04:12 PM
if you have yet to book your ruins tour, i would recomend AllTourNative adventures Coba excursion. lots of fun stuff to do including rapelling, zip line, jungle tour, kayaking, cenote swimming etc. and a tour of Coba. you go in a van instead of the big bus that takes forever (and coba is like 1 hr away as opposed to 3.5 each way for chicheniza)
cheers and have fun!!

Rouge
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
nice resort!!! stayed there twice. wait till you get there. do not book until you get there. weather is a huge thing. if you book now they will bug you every day. feel people out who knows you might not want to leave resort? lol.
take a trip into town and grind the **** out of those greasy bastards. you will find a good deal

Rouge
01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
do the tulum ruins. awesome beach!!!!

Tofinofish
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Any Belize feedback would be great as well. Will keep watching this thread....

steveo955
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
fishing with ivan. using him in april. wicked reviews on trip advisor. he is on 14th ave in playa del carmen. $350 for 6hrs up to 6 people. im staying at the royal playa del carmen and cant wait!

jessedm
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
if you have yet to book your ruins tour, i would recomend AllTourNative adventures Coba excursion. lots of fun stuff to do including rapelling, zip line, jungle tour, kayaking, cenote swimming etc. and a tour of Coba. you go in a van instead of the big bus that takes forever (and coba is like 1 hr away as opposed to 3.5 each way for chicheniza)
cheers and have fun!!

i 2nd that, i took the whole family and it was a blast!

jessedm
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
do the tulum ruins. awesome beach!!!!

i also agree with this gentleman.

seahawkfisher
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
a "does not do it justice" pic of tulum beach
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/DSC_0717.jpg
cheers

Rockymtnx
01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Tulum is a great place to check out. It is very beautiful, but the ruins are quite small. Once you do Chitzen Itza you will be amazed by the size of them.
Chitzen Itza is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. Its 3 hours away but worth every second of it. If you were only 3 hours away from one from the great pyramids of Egypt, wouldn’t you go see them? I have been to the Mayan coast 7 times now, and Chitzen Itza is defiantly in the top 5 things to see and do in Mexico.

Have a great trip!

nicemustang
01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Take a taxi do to akumal beach. There is an awesome beach bar with great authentic food, a dive shop, fishing boats/charters, and resident green turtles that are easily accessible from snorkleing from the beach. The dive shop will also rent snorkel gear if you need it.

seahawkfisher
01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
x2 for akumal; it's pretty peaceful out there as there are no tours that go to the location. just hop on the colectivo and the driver will tell you when to get off. bit of a walk from the freeway but there are cabs that will take you the rest of the way if you want to spend a few bucks
cheers

nicemustang
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
x2 for akumal; it's pretty peaceful out there as there are no tours that go to the location. just hop on the colectivo and the driver will tell you when to get off. bit of a walk from the freeway but there are cabs that will take you the rest of the way if you want to spend a few bucks
cheers

It's not that far of a walk, so don't let that discourage you. There is a nice sidewalk that takes you into the "town". Google says 650 meters.

Note:
I've been to the mayan 3 times, twice for weddings. It's like $5 to take the taxi (colectivo) that is out on the hiway. All the resorts are right on the hiway. Walk out from your resort, get on the right side of the road (ask your resort which way akumal is) and way down the colectivo (they stop for you) and tell them to let you off at akumal. The short walk is well worth it.

Excellent FREE snorkeling right from shore with views of baracudas, many fish, turtles, etc. Plus a great beach, bar, and awesome food.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FTxFNwEdTJ3L-g%3BFec6NwEdS7LL-g&mra=me&mrcr=0&mrsp=0,1&sz=16&sll=20.395842,-87.312019&sspn=0.014179,0.019205&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16