PDA

View Full Version : Los Cabos

duck34
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has had some good fishing in the Cabos area or knows a reputable guide/charter down there. I have been burnt in the past so I thought I would pick your brains a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

ORV
01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
we booked someone right out of the marina.
we made a deal right there instead of going thru the hucksters
on the beach.the captain was martin. i would have to dig out
some old pic,s to see if i can see the charter.
marlin in avatar is from last day fishing at cabo.
what a rush!
got some nice dorado we ate as well.

orv.

hightower
01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
We went out twice when we were there, first tme we went with an outft called"Sol Mar" they had an office right at the marina and its much cheaper if you go down there and haggle the the guys just like everything in mexico I guess. We caught two striped marln, both aound 130lbs. The boat was solid and the captin really knew what he was doing. The secnd time I cheaped out and went with some random shady outfit on th warf, the guys were alright but the boat was garbage and accualy ended up breaking down while we were out.They managed to limp it back to shore but it was scary. Still ended up with a 100lb wahoo tho so it wasnt a total loss.

italk2u
01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm going down next week and I've seen a lot of videos on you-tube about fishing from shore for rooster fish, snapper etc. Anyone had any experience with that?
We're staying at Cabo San Lucas one week and San Jose del Cabo the second week.
Any thoughts on lures, techniques amd so on would be greatly appreciated.

Kale 19
01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I was out there a couple years ago and went twice during a 10 day stint. We went with an outfut by the name of Picante.
http://www.picantesportfishing.com/
They have an office down in the Marina. They have some of the best boats, equiptment, and crew out there but you will pay for it a bit. Expect to pay $1000.00 - $1500.00 depending on the size of boat. On our way out to the golden gates, we blew by everyone and left them in our dust/wake. Nice boats with twin diesel pushers. We caught fish too. Striped marlin, mako shark, and some other stuff off of the golden gates and it was on the tail end of the striped marlin season in March. The first trip was way better than the second, but no one that was out the second day caught much and we did hook one stripy. My folks had gone that same year with picante but back in January and not a word of a lie, my dad and uncle caught 14 striped marlin. They actually stopped they were so tired and ended up chasing Sierra, parrot fish, and red snapper off lovers beach. I think 14 is definatly exceptional and I don't know if I would ever expect that but after talking with the crews, they said it does happen when the stripes are really on occasionaly.
Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. Head down to the marina and look to see between 3pm - 5pm the boats that are comming in and who is consistantly flying catch flags. This should give you an idea of who is catching.
Good luck.

WalleyeDeitz
01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I was there last winter and the only thing i can recommend is not to book through the resort you are staying at. Take teh cab ride to the Marina and look at what boat you want to go out on. It just so happend that my resort picked the oldest piece of crap on the water. On the way out in the am the livewell pump quit and our bait did which reduce our fishing chances greatly. I think if you were to walk the doc and do some talking, you will find a boat that works well. There is also a small town just north where another guy I met went out in a very small boat and had a blast hooking all sorts of different fish. I caught a couple small tuna and got up beside a huge sail fish but it was not interesed in our dead bait.

Good luck.

mikeo2
01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I love cabo. Go down to the marina at 3:30 to 4 oclcock and watch the boats coming in. When they catch a fish they put up flags on their boat indicating how many fish (1 flag perfish) and what type of fish (each flag has a different pic of fish on it). The boat that comes in with the most flags has had the most success that day. Approach the boat captains with the most flags and deal with them on going out fishing. 1000 is really high to pay, we paid 600 for a really nice boat, fast to. That being said whenever we go down there now we use Cabo Marlini and captain Teo. www.cabomarlini.com Thats for marlin/deep sea fishing. If you want roosters and that type of fish, you will book whats called a Panga, its basically a coat like what we use up here. The pangas can get in closer to the shore and beaches and rocks where those fish hang out, they are a blast to catch on lighter gear.

Mikediz
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
i would definately recommend "la mosca" they are in the main harbor at cabo. they specialize in light tackle and fly fishing. its 2 brothers, roberto has a panga and focuses on shallow/surf fishing (seirra,roosters etc) juan has a bigger boat for the deep water stuff. used them several times with good results. lamoscasportfishing.com

dennisb
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
When are you going? that will make a huge diffance. The big fish ( marlin and Mahi) is best during the warm water months Nov-end of Jan.
if you go later than that...dont let them talk you into a $800 all day marlin trip cause the fish move further out.
Having said that I went in April and did 2 5hr trips from the marina. We fished for Searria in the dark till an hour after sun-up and filled the boat up everytime then went for rooster fish for the last couple of hours. Both trips were awsome. I brought 2 rods and tackle of my own wich worked out awsome cause on my first outing the skipper trolled right in front of my hotel...literally 50 yards off shore. I fished almost every morning for a hr or so from shore and caught a Searria everytime.
I got to be good buddys with the chef at the hotel and all i can say is the Cheviche (spelling???) was awsome...my mouth is watering writing this.
As stated already, go to town and hang out at the marina and talk to some of the guys coming back from fishing.

Good luck and take lots of pictures

duck34
01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
We are headed out for the 2nd week of March.

Tyangelo
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Went it 2005, can't remember with who. I think it was that Del Sol outfit mentioned above. Was a little pricey, but worth it. Got a 170 lb 99" striped Marlin hanging on the wall, and hooked into quite a few dorado. Good luck bro! I'm envious!

whitewolf
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
hey if you catch a dorado...aka bull dolphin as that is what we called them in florida...have a steak off one of those as they are one of the best eating fish in the world when they are caught and eaten right away...they loose alot of flavor once they have been frozen

ice
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I Was There in 08, Made it out twice. Its was alright, Managed 2 striped marlin, and a guy that was with us hooked into a small great white. Look around the Marina for a charter, At the resort i was staying at (Riu Palace) The Boat they had was Sh*T!

dennisb
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Where are you staying?

duck34
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Staying at Barcelo Los Cabos. Thanks for all the input guys...this site is one hell of a valuable tool with alot of selfless folks willing to help!
Cheers men!

maximus
01-15-2011, 07:55 AM
When is the best time to go to Cabo for fishing?

italk2u
01-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Staying at Barcelo Los Cabos. Thanks for all the input guys...this site is one hell of a valuable tool with alot of selfless folks willing to help!
Cheers men!
I'm staying there the second week of our vacation from Jan 24 to 31..I hear there's good surf fishing right off the beach in front of thre place...and also some great panga fishing just north of there at a place called La Playita
We're at Sunset Beach starting the 17th but the wife says that's her week,:love0025: so the rod and reel stay in the case until the next week:sign0176:
if you need info, let me know.:thinking-006:

italk2u
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
duck34---you'll be glad to hear that the barcelo is outstanding...you'll really love their "Smart TV's"We just got back yesterday
I fished every morning and evening off the beach near the estuary...if you take a 20 cent bus ride from the barcelo to the mayan palace and then walk straight north past the bird sanctuary and hang a right on the path to the beach, you'll find rooster fish, corbina, pargo and even the odd amebrjack.
Buy shrimp and sardines across the street from the barcelo at the mega store.
A lot cheaper than chartering and a whole lot easier on the tummy.
BTW...a surf rod and good spinning reel spooled with 20lb mono is a must.

gunslinger
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
You bet after i killed my desert ram we packed up and drove to cabo and did some marlin fishing,

I highly recommend looking at pisces they are down at the marina and they are awsome, top notch captains, The three of us brothers each caught a marlin. Our boat was called Ruthless

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/IMG_0512.jpg

And if you do rent a boat and you will come into the harbour and you will meet poncho, by far the biggest sea lion i have ever seen and you can feed him right out of your hand.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/IMG_0465.jpg

dennisb
02-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow, thats funny Gunslinger...I've got pictures of Poncho as well. Hes gotta be the biggest seal ever.

hunted
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the info guys it was very helpful!!! I got back Monday and the fishing was great!! Caught a dolphin fish(mahi) and a stripped marlin about 100 lbs!!! I have been out before(about 3 times other places) and never caught anything so this was by far my best trip. We went down to the marina and shopped around(take some patience with you)as this was a racket! Lots of so called good deals but funny how they don't seem to get booked and are always working on their boat.
We booked with Picses as well on "Ruthless" boat it was more money $685 and had to wait until saturday which was frustrating but were glad we did!!! They seem to be busy now I know why.