PDA

View Full Version : End of the pike weight debate!!

rclegg
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
This is to help out the novice pike fisherman estimate the weight of the pike they catch through the ice. BS about the length, but don't call a 30 inch fish a 20 lbder, it's just not possible.

Northern Pike
Length (inches) Weight (lbs.)
24 3.9
25 4.4
26 5
27 5.6
28 6.2
29 7
30 7.7
31 8.5
32 9.3
33 10.2
34 11.2
35 12.2
36 13.3
37 14.5
38 15.7
39 16.9
40 18.3
41 19.6
42 21.2
43 22.7
44 24.3

WayneChristie
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Good post, the weight might vary a bit due to feed and other factors, but its a good general estimate. My digital scale showed me how much I used to overestimate the weight of my fish.I didnt get a length on my 22 1/2 but 43 sounds about right looking at my pictures. Now I just need to beat that

chubbdarter
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
1 factor i believe needs to be taken into consideration is a female ripe with eggs.
thanks for posting that

moosehunter3-0
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I find that accurate up to the 33" range. Gull lake has quite a few pike in the 37" range that weigh under 12 pounds. Girth obviously becomes a factor once they reach a good length.

Paul C
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
This is a good thread. How would Rclegg take into consideration for sex, time of year and size of water body that would affect the growth rate of fish ?

New Hunter Okotoks
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I caught 2 pike within an hour of each other last year. Both were 42" but 1 was substantially heavier than the other.I did not have a scale but I would guess it would have been 4 or 5 lbs heavier than the other fish.

whitewolf
01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
that scale is based on what they consider a fish that length should have a certain size of girth...and that is classified as average...will always get thinner or fatter fish....nothing beats an accurate scale

Dust1n
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
gull lake pike i find are not long but F***in fat and also if a pike just ate a whitefis or a walleye,ect to add to there body weigth fairy quick

whitewolf
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
i cant remember the calculation but your supposed to measure from the bottom of the jaw to the fork in the tail and then take a measurement around the the fatest part of the fish and then i cant remember the calculation from there,but using the girth measurement added to the picture i think would give you a more accurate guess as i have seen some lakes where the fish are long and skinny and other lakes where the fish are short but thick in the shoulders....

Fishfinder
01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
that scale is based on what they consider a fish that length should have a certain size of girth...and that is classified as average...will always get thinner or fatter fish....nothing beats an accurate scale

X2.

:sSig_nicethread:rclegg

Bushmaster
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Girth x Length x Length divided by 800......

AK47
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
River pike usually are longer then lake so that should be taken in consideration. My biggest from last season was caught in Bow river and it was 40 inch but just 15 lbs.

WayneChristie
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
River pike usually are longer then lake so that should be taken in consideration. My biggest from last season was caught in Bow river and it was 40 inch but just 15 lbs.

They have to use a lot of energy fighting the current instead of just getting fat, but pound for pound river pike in a current are an awesome fighting fish! :sHa_shakeshout:

rclegg
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
This is a good thread. How would Rclegg take into consideration for sex, time of year and size of water body that would affect the growth rate of fish ?

I can't. This is just a guideline. I have caught 38" + inch fish that have weighed significantly less than these guidelines (Post spawn spring pike) and also fish that have been a few pounds heavier, but not much. I think for the most part you can take half of the average wieght plus or minus the average weight to figure the varibilities of season, location and sex of the fish.

So a 40 inch fish's average weight 18 lbs /2 = 9
* extreme upper limit 27 lbs, extreme lower limit 11 lbs

This is just a rough conversion but its pretty close.

mr.pike
01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
A few years ago my brother caught a 37" pike, it weighed over 17 lbs!! It was by far the wierdest looking pike i have ever seen it had a head that was almost 1/2 the body's lenght. As a rule a pike has to be 40" to be 20 lbs. This is just a rule of thumb, another one is dont believe anybody, unless you know they have seen a big one before! Most people will swear a 15'er is over 20 because they have never seen a 20 before, and once they get up around the 25lb mark forget about it! I have seen 2pike over 30 lbs in real life get released, these were actually 4 feet long! Pictures and measurements along with a quick weight are the best proof. Sometimes a 10-15 lb fish gains alot of weight through a few stories, the picture says 1000 words!

Paul C
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
A few years ago my brother caught a 37" pike, it weighed over 17 lbs!! It was by far the wierdest looking pike i have ever seen it had a head that was almost 1/2 the body's lenght. As a rule a pike has to be 40" to be 20 lbs. This is just a rule of thumb, another one is dont believe anybody, unless you know they have seen a big one before! Most people will swear a 15'er is over 20 because they have never seen a 20 before, and once they get up around the 25lb mark forget about it! I have seen 2pike over 30 lbs in real life get released, these were actually 4 feet long! Pictures and measurements along with a quick weight are the best proof. Sometimes a 10-15 lb fish gains alot of weight through a few stories, the picture says 1000 words!
X2 Sometimes the fish get installed in the volumetric device for increasing size and weight.

Walleyes
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
A slimy snot snake 2 feet long or 3 feet long is still a slimy snot snake.. Ewwwyuuuk !!!

pikergolf
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Why don't we just impress each other in inches isnstead of pounds. Just throw the tape down and lay the fish on top. Done.

hockey1099
01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Good post, the weight might vary a bit due to feed and other factors, but its a good general estimate. My digital scale showed me how much I used to overestimate the weight of my fish.I didnt get a length on my 22 1/2 but 43 sounds about right looking at my pictures. Now I just need to beat that

I couldnt agree more. I used to do the same thing. It also helps to catch alot of big pike. Wabamun taught me alot about the weight of pike and how they grow.

I find they grow length wise first then width wise across the shoulders and then finally in height. So length isnt always the best indicator fo weight. When you see an old girl come up thats wide across the back you know you have a big fish.

You wont believe how big a 20lb pike is until you see one in person.

Buck Krazy
01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Hahah what walleyes said!

calgarygringo
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Let's go one more. Length and girth to be more accurate.
I have used this a couple of times and is real close.

http://www.garden-island.com/northern-pike-weight-formula-calculator.htm

nicemustang
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
This is a good reference for sure. I think a lot of people actually never weigh a fish and think they are heavier than they are. Everytime I guess I am way heavier, partly because I want to believe I've caught a bigger fish than I actually have. Although, now in the boat in summer walleye fishing, I am measuring everything that is decent size and have weighed lots and I am pretty good now at guessing the weights. All that trail practicing i've been doing. Funny how my friend thinks a 50 cm walleye is 5 lbs, when really they are usually 3 or less.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Not to steretype a group of people or anything but Americans, and I mean ALL Americans think any Pike over 3lbs is 10lbs and any pike over 8 is 20!

Dust1n
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
no hunter thats bass fishing a 3lb bass looks like 7 or 8lber LOL

New Hunter Okotoks
01-11-2011, 08:45 PM
no hunter thats bass fishing a 3lb bass looks like 7 or 8lber LOL

OH Bass Fishing is an entirely different animal altogether! There is not,nor has there ever been a single Smallmouth Bass hooked that has been under 2 lbs.( They are hatched that way) and Largemouth start at 4 lbs! LOL!

WayneChristie
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
A slimy snot snake 2 feet long or 3 feet long is still a slimy snot snake.. Ewwwyuuuk !!!

I love them slimy snot snakes!!! :sHa_shakeshout: Pike rule! show me a walleye that can swallow a duck whole! :bad_boys_20:

Dust1n
01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
ya no kidding

Big Red 250
01-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Length X length X length divide by 3500 = weight in lbs. Could be same as OP.

DaveFish
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Let's go one more. Length and girth to be more accurate.
I have used this a couple of times and is real close.

http://www.garden-island.com/northern-pike-weight-formula-calculator.htm

Yea, that one is the best I've found.

calgarygringo
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
There are actually several of the length/girth weight lists for all the different fish. I got used to using them many years ago in derby's. Way back in the old days guys used to stuff the fish with weights etc. to make their fish heavier. They used to weigh in that fish that by length made no sense. Some started to use an x ray like system to check. Then many did not way any they just used the length girth system and determined the weight that way. The feeling was it took the cheating out of the game.
They are actually pretty close most of the time I have done a check. I have not tournament fished for years and don't worry too much about the monsters any more. I have my digital scale on board and it is close enough for me.

Geezle
01-12-2011, 07:30 AM
They have to use a lot of energy fighting the current instead of just getting fat, but pound for pound river pike in a current are an awesome fighting fish! :sHa_shakeshout:

I agree, I already can't wait until spring so I can get some early season pike out of the river :cool:

As for ending the pike weight debate, I finally just sucked it up and got myself a scale. After catching my sturgeon last year and not having one I keep it with me all the time.

troutmountain
01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I caught one in the spring from the NSR that was only 36" long and weighed 17.5lbs. usually river pike are longer and lighter.

mooseknuckle
01-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Scale - $20 - keep it in the tackle box, end of discussion.

Dr.D
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
If you have a scale you should test it an a regular basses I have seen a lot of scales that are out to lunch

kargor
01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
the largest fish I ever caught was in Winnifred thru the ice in the early 80s, we fished for 3 days and caught lots of 15-20 lb jack and I would agree that length is pretty consistent with the weight and a good way to guage without a scale , the fish I caught on the last day was 47" and after I squeezed it thru the hole it weighed 27 lb. We had a 15 lb ling on the ice and this jack starting eating it on the ice . To bad digital cameras were not around then

chubbdarter
01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
the largest fish I ever caught was in Winnifred thru the ice in the early 80s, we fished for 3 days and caught lots of 15-20 lb jack and I would agree that length is pretty consistent with the weight and a good way to guage without a scale , the fish I caught on the last day was 47" and after I squeezed it thru the hole it weighed 27 lb. We had a 15 lb ling on the ice and this jack starting eating it on the ice . To bad digital cameras were not around then

wow ive never seen that before

gl2
01-12-2011, 09:15 PM

i would weigh the jack after he was done with the ling....lol

BobLoblaw
01-12-2011, 09:18 PM
the largest fish i ever caught was in winnifred thru the ice in the early 80s, we fished for 3 days and caught lots of 15-20 lb jack and i would agree that length is pretty consistent with the weight and a good way to guage without a scale , the fish i caught on the last day was 47" and after i squeezed it thru the hole it weighed 27 lb. We had a 15 lb ling on the ice and this jack starting eating it on the ice . Then, a sasquatch ran out of the woods & began making sweet love to that giant pike. Elvis parachuted unto the ice & began singing "don't be cruel". Well, i can take a hint; i released both the pike & the ling. Meanwhile, elvis & the sasquatch held hands & skipped off into the forest, singing "tra-la-la-la-la". To bad digital cameras were not around then

fixed

1/2 oz Bucktail
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Clegger!!!!!
We should come up with a reference table for bull trout.
Getting sick of guys calling a 28" bully a 15 pounder.

ak-71
01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
... We had a 15 lb ling on the ice and this jack starting eating it on the ice .

I think it’s a bit too ambitious for a fishing story... Table is a good reference to have, although my pikes are always on a heavier side :)

192 whitey
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
average pike length x length x length divided by 3500 walleye length x length x length divided by 2700 in-fisherman

uicehole
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Those math formulas are too complicated in the excitement of the moment. Seems people get called out regularly on this forum for overrepresenting the weight of their catch. I think I can help alot of people from futUre embarassment by offering this Guide to Estimating Fish Weight. A true fisherman never packs an accurate scale.

1. Anything up to six inches is automatically a half-pounder. That's just the way it is.
2. Up to 12 inches = a pounder.
3. even if it's just over 12" it's automatically a two pounder.
4. Add a pound for each inch over 12.
5. 16 inches is a magic number because all fish at this is five pounds regardless of how skinny they are.
6. Don't ask how but it's been factually proven by countless hearsay and testimonials, most fish between 16 and 20 inches are still five pounders. They maintain this weight as they grow through these four inches. Once past this length, there is a sudden increase in weight.
7. 20 inches is an eight pounder.
8 Another milestone, anything near 24 inches. is a 10 pounder. This is what dreams are made of, what fisherman don't have erotic dreams of reeling in that elusive 10 pounder. If you suspect anyone would dispute your 10 pounder, then call it a nine pounder. After all, you wouldn't want to be called a liar over the internet.
9. You have license to add 5 to 10 pounds for each inch after 24 depending on how light your line was you were using. The lighter the line, the more weight you can add.
10. Larger fish are much harder to estimate and rules can no longer be reliable. Should your fish be really big, you have no choice but to bonk it and bring it to a certified scale because of the chance you've caught the provincial record. Be aware as most certified scales tend to disagree to the light side of your estimates.

These rules are suppositioned on the premise you can estimate fish length. How to estimate length? After all, a real fisherman never carries a tape. Well, that's a different guide altogether.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I have found that photographed fish always look smaller than what they really were. I caught a few Lake Trout back home and had pics taken.When I looked at the pics the fish looked like they were 2 pounds.

I am sure that there are correct ways to photograph fish but I don't know how. BTW with the above fish, the pics were taken of me holding the fish at my side and the guy taking the pic was about 15 feet away. Obviously not the best way to show off a fish.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM

I have found a couple lakes where the Ewwwyuuuk pike tastes so much better than any walleye I have tasted that if I have a choice, I will take that pike Everytime.

it is the best in soup, fried, deepfried, you name it! Best I ever tasted was skin side down on hot coals! No butter, oil, seasoning, nothing. just peeled the meat off from the skin/bones and chowed down!

MMMM...... Good!

Wrap it in newspaper and let it dry a bit. the slime gets a lot less!

Warren77
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
All the 20lb fish i have caught have been females. 20lb females are usually around 40 inches.

DuckBrat
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the chart as it would be nice to see more people measuring fish that are intended to be released rather than hanging them by their gills to get a weight. A big pike to be weighed should be done so in a cradle. I see the same bunch out at Wabamun (C&R only) weighing each big pike by it gill cover, bragging to his buddy about the weight, looking for the camera, and then comes the picture. By the time all is said and done the fish has been out of water for 5 minutes. With the damage done from weighing and the time it takes them to get the fish back in the water the fish is done for. That is not how C&R was meant to be undertaken.

Warren77
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
That chart is some what right but it all depends if the fish is male or female. The females are shorter and way fatter usually.

danewfy
01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
im with nanuk! of all the fish i bring home, the wife likes pike the best. she never gets to see the slime lol