PDA

View Full Version : funny time of year to buy a boat

skykomish sunrise
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/skykomishsunrise/new%202005%20basscat%20puma/
A new friend towed her back from ontario over the holidays and I went down to okotoks to get it on sunday. I sold my xpress to a friend http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww345/skykomishsunrise/IMGP0216.jpg
If things go well you will see both boats in some northern walleye tourneys this year

Walleyes
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Congrats on the buy looks like a heck of a boat.. That darn thing looks like it could fly..

You do know what BOAT stands for "eh" Bring Out Another Thousand. Good luck and have fun...

BloodHound70
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I bought a boat last year about this time in Wisconsin and sold my ski boat around the same time on Kijiji. I was getting calls everyday on it. Could not believe that I got so much interest in Jan so not a strange time at all.
I do love my new boat. Got a 24' Starcraft fishsing pontoon. OH BABY!!!!

BH

nicemustang
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Yikes...nice boat for sure but watch out for the southern AB winds. Bass boats have no place in AB IMO.

FisherPotch
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
No doubt a deep v will do better with big wind. But I've seen WFN, Guys run these big bass boats on big water. Like Erie big! In 4 ft swells catching air off their swivel seats! Not for the faint of heart. But I think what skylomish lacks in his pants he makes up for in heart lol
hi seabass!

Skykomish can't post right now but made a comment about Ab fisher man needing to wake up and realize that the parents Lund isn't the only way to go

I bought his Xpress HD18sca and can not wait to be the guy everyone Loves to hate, driving my duck boat along side the warriors and lunds. lol

Don't get me wrong, theres days I wouldn't take my boat on the big water. I'd probably just go down the valley and put it in the river instead.

I can think of a few lakes with narrows where seabass's (skykomish) bass boat would shine leaving the deep v's behind. To each there own, they've all got a place here in gods province. Weather dependent. No body out on there boat today I'm thinking, deep v or flat bottom. ;)

nicemustang
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Well I don't want to start an arguement....but what's the purpose of a bass boat in AB? There isn't any super shallow places you need to wonder around in where the bass boat shines for it's low profile, and I've been on too many southern AB reservoirs in a perfectly calm day and the wind comes up from no where and have been in some sticky unverving situations. I understand the apeal to them as well and I wish you best of luck. Lastly, I just want to say be careful, be smart, and hopefully the boat turns out well for you. See you on the trail.

FisherPotch
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah the weather can be tricky. I was at Newell in June of 2008 and witnessed first hand. It went from zero km wind to 80 km+ gusts in seconds. It went from a beautiful calm day with flat waters to rollers near instantly. Your point is certainly valid.

There's been too many fatalities over the years no doubt.
Skykomish just said something about a fisherman at a 09 slave lake tourny. He was in a 21ft tundra deep v. RIP

May all our fishing ventures be safe ones.

nicemustang
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah I know about the guy at Slave. Has a lot to do with the operator for sure. But all I'm saying is that I hope he knows what he is getting into and hope he has a safe year. I was in a bass boat once, and will never go on another again.

chubbdarter
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
i bought my lund in the dead of winter, got alot of smart comments every where i stopped on my way back from winterpeg.
i think the short walled boats are dangerous for kids even on a dead calm lake
but congrats on your purchase

skykomish sunrise
01-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Walleyes, she is one hell of a sweet boat and I cant wait to learn how to make her fly. Dont judge all bassboats on your drive in just one nicemustang....each have very differerent designs. Basscat is highend and known for speed, smooth dry ride and it ability to handle big water. On the way back from Okotoks on sunday during the snow storm I got more strange looks than complements... even more fun when stopping at BPS on the way

baptiste_moose
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
if u paid under 16 it's good cause if the motor has under 200 hrs it would sell like hot cakes for 16. Those pro XS's are unreal. i was in a 21ft lund tiller with a 175Pro XS. 65 mph in a tiller boys. They hum.

freeones
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
if u paid under 16 it's good cause if the motor has under 200 hrs it would sell like hot cakes for 16. Those pro XS's are unreal. i was in a 21ft lund tiller with a 175Pro XS. 65 mph in a tiller boys. They hum.

He must of been running one of those new unobtanium props.

npauls
01-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I like the looks of the bass boats but the fishability of them is no where near what it is in a deep V for alberta lakes.

Like mentioned before, there isn't alot of shallow water opportunities in alberta to creep shallow shorelines on a calm lake pitching hooks at clear water shallow fish.

Most of the time you are either going to be trolling or anchored or drift fishing in the wind and waves where you don't always want to be standing on the front of a boat with a deck that is only 2 inches deep.

Not my cup of tea anyways.

Nice looking boat and hopefully it produces for you.

Nate

Safety D
01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
you guys can argue all you want about prop boats but Jet boats are the way to go. 11 degree haul, 40+ miles per hour. I catch just as many walleye on a windy day on Calling then the next day can run 4 inches of skinny water and catch big sturgeon. Nothing else matters after having the right river boat !!!!!

npauls
01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I have never seen a jet boat that is as comfortable to fish out of as a deep V walleye boat.

There is a place for jet boats in alberta but I wouldn't run one for everything in the province. I would however love to own one for running the old man.

Nate

Safety D
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Well you have not seen a comfortable jet boat because you have not seen mine. Ive had people fish in my boat that have been in all kinds of Walleye boats. They say its just as comfy and nice you dont have to look out for rocks to blow a prop off. On a welded aluminum haul you dont loose your shirt on depreciation like you do on a riveted boat. I paid 22 G for mine 3 years ago and its worth exactly that today !!!!!

chubbdarter
01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
comfort is personel opinion..its like couches and beds.
both boats have there advantages.
i dont want to slow rig in a high wind with my custom weld
and
i dont want to run skinny water on the Columbia with my 2025 lund

sadly no 1 boat does eveything well

thenaturalwoodsman
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!! some of the comments amaze me here. Basscats, ranger, triton, nitro, these bass boats are infact great anywhere including ALBERTA. If you ever jigged, drove, anchored, trolled, in 1 of these boats you would know what it's all about. It's all in the hull of a boat. I laugh deep 'V' in alberta usually means the family bayliner or a LUND of some kind, some of you guys need to get out of your box your missing out. As far as the 80km winds go good luck anchoring your bayliner in that, and then busting the white caps back to the boat launch, this is where the bass boat shines it is on plane and on top of the waves not busting through them, if the boat does 60mph it does 60mph no matter what the wind or the weather condition is. Again great to fish out of, jig, troll, anchor, net, and release fish out of. Very stable and FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the original post very nice boat, and good luck in the tourney's this year!!!!!

chubbdarter
01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!! some of the comments amaze me here. Basscats, ranger, triton, nitro, these bass boats are infact great anywhere including ALBERTA. If you ever jigged, drove, anchored, trolled, in 1 of these boats you would know what it's all about. It's all in the hull of a boat. I laugh deep 'V' in alberta usually means the family bayliner or a LUND of some kind, some of you guys need to get out of your box your missing out. As far as the 80km winds go good luck anchoring your bayliner in that, and then busting the white caps back to the boat launch, this is where the bass boat shines it is on plane and on top of the waves not busting through them, if the boat does 60mph it does 60mph no matter what the wind or the weather condition is. Again great to fish out of, jig, troll, anchor, net, and release fish out of. Very stable and FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the original post very nice boat, and good luck in the tourney's this year!!!!!

my last comment so im not high jackin anymore.
i agree with some of your comments......
the one thing i know foresure is im not back trolling my tiller into huge rollers in a Bass platform
cheers

Chris K
01-20-2011, 12:22 AM
That is my buddy Scott Dingwall's old boat. It's fine for Bass, but there was a reason he used a different boat for walleye tournaments. You will not be able to get the control you need with it for our walleye tournaments up here.

Chris K

skykomish sunrise
01-20-2011, 03:02 AM
When I first tried the raised deck style of the bass boat I felt really exposed and felt the need to hang on to the bow seat. Then after hours of fishing I loved it. The open design is a fishers dream and the guy in the back has as good of a spot as the guy in the front Re the shallow water. Shore bombing with this boat is awesome but I can drag a bottom bouncer at speeds from .4 to whatever all day. Main thing I want to do is show fishers here in AB that there is a reason bass boats are popular down south and not only on shallow water fisheries. I get to have a great looking, ridiculously fast, very fishable boat. I admit that I won't be going out on slave with 6-8 footers rolling in but chances are anyone with brains will be with me having beers and chillin anyhow. If you see me out there come for a ride. Not all bassboats are created equal. You are right...its is Scott's old boat