PDA

View Full Version : Thermal tip-ups

Geezle
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Is any one better than the others or are they all pretty much the same?

I might have company in my little tent tomorrow, so if I want a second line on the go I'll need to do the tip-up thing (I prefer to be able to keep an eye on both lines) but I currently don't have a tip up, and I figure for as cold as it's going to be tomorrow it would be nice to have one that will help prevent the hole from immediately icing over. :)

edit: Oops! Posted in the wrong section! Thanks for the move mods :)

Wrist Twister
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I have used the Frabill 10" Thermal tip up. When in use I pack the snow
around the complete edge of tip up and in the wind and the cold weather
it keeps the hole from freezing over for a long period of time. Just my own
experience with this unit.

djlovebug
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
x2 on the frabill, i also have another that covers the hole, but without the styro on the bottom and it seems to work really well in colder temps. As long as the hole is covered really well with it. I throw a rod bell or the rod tip double bells on the flag when i'm in the shack so i hear when the flag goes up as well as setting them up in line of sight from one of the windows, cause sometimes there is other noise outside so you don't always hear them. (augers, trucks, kids, ect.) Once you hear the bell, RUN FOREST,RUN!!!

Geezle
01-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks guys :)

I picked up one of the orange Frabil ones yesterday and it seemed to work pretty well. Only got one hit on it though, and i lost the fish near the hole. Guess I'll have to get out more and give it some more use :)