PDA

View Full Version : Went to South Buck yesterday.......

dong
01-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Fished Buck lake all day yesterday for the first time. Lots of ice 18-20 inches and to our surprise almost no floodwater! We got around in our 4x4 pickup pretty easily.

The fishing was horrible! Did not even see a fish all day until right before we left my buddy caught a small pike on his perch hook. That was it, no perch no walleye no burbot no whites no keeper pike. We fished the whole south portion of the lake in all different depths and still no luck.

Does anybody know if the north part of buck produces any better than the south or was it just a slow day? Or were we just in the wrong areas?

I guess that lake was also commercial fished last week and I wonder if that might have something to do with it. (why commercial fishing is still allowed in this province is beyond me).

thanks
dong

Safety D
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Dont feel bad Dong, The fishing this winter has been a lot slower then normal. That is why I am heading to Flathead Lake Montana in a few days to slam some open water Lakers !!!!!!

brohymn2
01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
been out there twice and havent caught anything, also been working the south side, def gonna try on the north end next time, i dibnt plan on being beagten by this lake just yet

Dust1n
01-12-2011, 05:57 PM
the flathead lake is craz for lakers on the dipsy diver and spoon nd good average sixzes to

Icefishin
01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey dong how much snow on buck? I have a few spots, unfortunately they are not of my own discovery and have been sworn to secrecy! All I can say is try finding a sharp drop off anywhere on that lake that goes from 2'-20' in about 100' feet from Shore and you'll hit pike and walleye for sure! I also know that somwhere over by Calhoun bay guys used to go for 20lb+ pike, cause they'd cut a 4x6 hole in the ice with a chainsaw! Unfortunately I don't know where exactly been a while since I seen that spot. There's usually a fisure that forms too on the north end just south of calhoun bay that I have fished around several times and caught lots of pike and eyes! Just don't drive too close!

dong
01-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the tips icefishin. we're definately gonna give it another go and try the north end! As for snow it was pretty deep in some spots there was at least a foot mabey a foot and a half. we had a dodge 1 ton 4x4 and never got stuck. if there was any flood water i think we would have had a tough time, but there wasnt.

thanks again
dong

PB&J
01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
if you have no luck on the north end of bucket lake you can always go for a bucket of chicken

EDMfishing
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Where is the lake acces on north side?? always go off calhoun bay, but tried a few days ago snow was only 6 inches deep for first hundred feet or so, then 10.. then bamo foot or foot n a half..., and ran into a few 2' + snowdrifts, after the 4th one got slightly stuck and turned around, didnt wanna get stuck way out in middle of nowhere :P:scared0018:

also only no flood water, just alot of snow, and ice.. ended up walking on after id say the ice is around 22inch now where i was atleast (no sled so had to pack gear down... weeeehhh me n my buddy are outta shape!! haha

Had some decent luck in calhoun before the snow, caught a couple nice keeper walleyes, and pike, no perrch tho, seen a few but just werent interested... no ' amazing days' .. slow and steady is always better than working :D

bluewingedolive
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Fished Buck lake all day yesterday for the first time. Lots of ice 18-20 inches and to our surprise almost no floodwater! We got around in our 4x4 pickup pretty easily.

The fishing was horrible! Did not even see a fish all day until right before we left my buddy caught a small pike on his perch hook. That was it, no perch no walleye no burbot no whites no keeper pike. We fished the whole south portion of the lake in all different depths and still no luck.

Does anybody know if the north part of buck produces any better than the south or was it just a slow day? Or were we just in the wrong areas?

I guess that lake was also commercial fished last week and I wonder if that might have something to do with it. (why commercial fishing is still allowed in this province is beyond me).

thanks
dong

Dong...
The commercial fishing (which has gone on in Buck for many years) targets Whites and catches very few other species. The commercial catches were way down this year. Many local groups use the commercial fishery as a fundraiser to support Fish and Game conservation in the province. If you want to point a finger look around the lake and wonder where the local sewage is going.
P.S. Some of the Whites caught this year wouldnt fit in a 8" hole.

dong
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I still dont agree with commercial fishing.. There are many other ways to raise money that would be better. Just my opinion.

Wasnt blaming the commercial fish on my bad luck. just wondering if it had anything to do with the lack of fish.

dong

dong
01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I think there is a road that leads to the north end of the lake. Gonna check it out once the weather smartens up. Is calhoun bay the one near buck lake bobs? Thanks for all the info about the snow, might need to haul the sled next time!

dong