PDA

View Full Version : Clam Summit Calamity!

The Fisherman Guy
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Early in the ice season, a good buddy of mine also a forum member (frenchtickler) decided to invest in a good ice fishing setup.

He shopped around, and we jumped over to Bass Pro and he picked up a Clam Summit for 279.99. He brought it out to a local lake and we enjoyed a great day on the ice in comfort. I was impressed with the quality of the tent, and the options. So much so, I called BPS this last Saturday to see if they still had any left. They did, so I took off down there and picked one up.
A few strange things though. They had the stock of these tents on the other side of the reel counter and there was no display model set up with the rest of the ice tents. The price was still 279.99, being that it was the same tent I bought it anyway.

Upon getting it out on the ice with frenchtickler and his lady in their tent, I quickly noticed several differences in my tent from his. Despite being the same model, the quality and weight of the fabric on my tent was less and much thinner. Light was penetrating through on my tent's maiden voyage, where his was still completely dark inside.
Second, mine does not have any grommets on the skirt to peg it to the ice for easy setup in the wind, where his has 1" grommets on each corner. Mine has a clip inside on each corner for a floor upgrade to be clipped in, with a cheapo grommet that fell out the instant I touched it.

Long story short (well, sort of!) I will return the tent and I would like to advise others not to make the same mistake. There were only a few left when I was there on the weekend, so I would recommend another make and model.

Lastly, can anyone shed any light on this? How can two models of tent, both the same price from the same store be totally different? I am puzzled and choked that I wasted my time with what I thought was a quality product.

WayneChristie
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe their stock was a Friday production run. :thinking-006: I kind of ran into the same thing with the Kingfisher I bought from Costco online, smaller size and one less door than the model on the website. so its going back too. Maybe I will do a weekend of ling fishing and get it all stinky before I return it for my trouble :sHa_sarcasticlol:

rustynailz
01-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Don't know, but my Clam is absolutely amazing and has the grommets you're talking about. See if they can swap it out for you - must just be a lemon.

The Fisherman Guy
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Well, returning the tent I had purchased turned out to be quite the ordeal. It's a bit of a long story, but I feel that it could save other forum members from the hassle I went through if they are aware of what I just went through.

I reviewed their return policy, and I was within their requirements - or so I thought...

A man from fishing came to talk with me to see if we could figure out what had happened with my calamity. He informed me that with all ice tent purchases, a specially drafted sheet was to be given to the customer at the till upon purchase, which detailed the return process. Basically it said plain as day, if you open the tent on the ice, BPS will REFUSE the return.
The guy from fishing asked what till I bought the tent at... I replied, at the front...? Where all the other tills are. Apparently, the sheets are at the REEL COUNTER TILL, not the main tills. Implying my negligence in not buying the item at the correct till... I bit my tongue, as I felt a battle ensuing. I did not receive this sheet, and I stated that it was their negligence that I did not receive the information sheet upon my purchase. I also stated, that if I did receive this aforementioned sheet, I would likely not be in their store attempting to return the tent...

Then the store manager stepped in. Typical of most large store managers, his attitude was less than sympathetic to my situation. He refused to accept the tent on return as he could not re-sell it. I asked if they would give me the tent I thought I bought... No. They don't have any.

They called Clam, and I spoke to their representative. She informed me that the model I bought (Clam Summit) was this years model, and the one french tickler bought was last years model. Clam did not have any of last years model left, so I was stuck with the one I have. She also said she would not refund my money as they had done nothing wrong in my transaction.

So, talking now with the guy from fishing, the shift manager, and the store manager, they attempted to refuse my return. The store manager was getting irritated at my calm persistence, and began repeating himself, and talking over top of me. I don't think he appreciated my stern reply "I heard you the first time, I understand where you are coming from. But this is not my problem, and does not solve my problem."

When he cut me off again, I returned the favor by reading aloud the Customer Service Goals on the board behind the Customer Service/Returns Desk. He didn't appreciate that much either...

When I finally stated that he was willing to turn me away, sending me home unsatisfied and disgruntled, he relented and offered me in-store credit.

Just to poke the store manager bear, I stated that it made no difference to give me in-store credit or a full refund, as either way, he is accepting the tent. I wanted a equal comprimise for the both of us. I think he just about stroked.

Hands on his hips, he said that was all he was going to do.

Lesson learned here: Be careful with BPS, if you are going to return an item and they get uppity about the return, remain calm and use big words. It annoys them to no end, and you may get an offer you can't refuse just to get you out of their hair.

It was very amusing to see his temperature escalate at my calm, persistent demeanor and I am certain I wouldn't have received my compromise if I were to allow my temper to escalate to match his.

Sorry for the rant, but I want you to know about this. It could save you some considerable agony.

RANT OVER!

nicemustang
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
So you still have the tent then?

The Fisherman Guy
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Sorry, I realize I was not all that clear with my reply.

I accepted the in-store credit. The tent itself is pretty much junk if you ask me.

nicemustang
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah that crappy, a headache for sure

nicemustang
01-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I guess this is a good lesson to see it setup first before you buy.

Jack&7
01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow....very uncool on many levels. First, that Clam compromised on their product quality and still sells it at the same price.

And second...BPS with their "Ha....we got your money....now suck it." attitude. I am not going to turn this into an anti-BPS rant. I would be just as pizzed at any store that treated you that way.

I can see a store being reluctant to accept returns because people buy stuff all the time (like tools) just to use them and then once they are done with it, they take it back.

But you clearly demonstrated a difference in quality and poor workmanship...and the manufacturer even admitted it...and they still stiffed ya.

Sorry to hear that man.

Geezle
01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Glad to see you persisted and were eventually able to get them to accept it back - even if it was just for in store credit. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Due to location I've never gone down to BPS, but this little writeup sure turned me off of wanting to go there.

On a small sidenote, last week I had to exchange my Clam Expedition to Princess Auto (one of the hubs broke - absolutely my fault) and they didn't even check it out. Just told me to go grab another one :)

nicemustang
01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok, to be clear, this was an unusal circumstance. TFG should have been given that sheet which would have explained it better on the rules. BPS is a great store and I've always had excellent customer service there. Prices aren't great but the sales are pretty good.

skain11
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
TFG, sounds like your clam demeanor save the day. The last year model this year's model story sounds fishy to me...wow two bad puns already...

Conversely my recent return story at BPS went somewhat better. I received some new hunting pants from my wife and children for Christmas but they were too small and not quite thick enough. I went back to the store late boxing week however without the receipt ( she had 4 or 5 other BPS receipts but not this one, go figure). Expecting the worse, I too calmly explained the situation at the customer service desk was easily given a merchandise card for the entire amount ($200). I then found the pants I wanted($100) in the size I needed but soon discovered that two of the inside suspender buttons were missing and three others were about to fall off and this pair were their last in that size. Once again I went back to customer service ( much to the chagrin of my accompanying 17 yr old daughter) and explained that I was somewhat relunctant to purchase a new item that already had damage. Well the oncall semi-manager looked them over, offered 10% off and since i never wear suspenders I now have the pants I wanted at a decent price and still have $100 left on the card for fly fishing season....and the kids think I'm cheap...imagine...sk

ORV
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
i bought a fishing game there over the holidays.
not the one the kids wanted so i took it back.
after some grumbling & 2 people checking it out they finally took
it back.i have bought a lot off stuff there with no problems
but not very impressed with their return dept at all.
that is why i hit the fishing hole as much as i can.

my .02 cents

orv.

The Fisherman Guy
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
TFG, sounds like your clam demeanor saved the day.

HA! Thanks Skain, I needed that!

All in all, I am not turned off BPS. I am just going to be more aware when I purchase anything there that it could result in a hassle if I need to return it.

chubbdarter
01-14-2011, 03:04 PM
its a great place for a indoor walk.....they need a big food court and place to buy scratch tickets for us old folks we could sit there all day and watch the fisheees swim around.
only thing i ever bought there was abox of fish coating....it was cheap and yummy

Paul C
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
:thinking-006: I wonder if that tent was copied and made in one of those pacific rim countries. Nothing like importing products that have a patent or patent pending and manufactured without consent.

bucktaker
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
i bought a clam summit last year it is the good model. I also bought the floor package. all i can say it was worth all the $700.00 i paid for it. Not the same quality for sure as the ones at the Bass Shop mine is much better.

Gus
01-14-2011, 04:17 PM
I feel your pain Fishermen guy. I love shopping at BPS, I have spent endless hours in that place and dropped a lot of $ there. But there return policy and customer service is terrible. I bought a camping tent this summer and the thing was such junk that i could not ever get it up and it broke. I tried taking it back to return for a different type of tent showing them all the defects in the tent and they didn't want to hear any of it. The manager told me that they would under no circumstances take back the tent and would not even give me store credit. I dropped the tent on the floor and told him that it didn't matter to me if he gave me store credit or not, in my eyes the tent was returned and i was going to go get a different model off the shelf and take it home. AS I walked towards the camping stuff he relented and said that they would give me store credit.

I don't get what their deal is? That place is the mega store of the outdoor enthusiasts and they must make a killing but they want to fight you for ever dollar?? Even Walmart has better customer service.

michaelmicallef
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
That is pretty much the way the world is going today. Pricing up, quality down. I have noticed that same senario with other products that are suppossed to be identical. Items purchased last year my not be the same quality this year.

chubbdarter
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't get what their deal is? That place is the mega store of the outdoor enthusiasts and they must make a killing but they want to fight you for ever dollar?? Even Walmart has better customer service.

i dont shop walmart either....but people tell me its no questions asked money back policy or exchange
some one ever tryed taking a auger back at the end of the year cuz its dull?.....you'd have a brand new one for next season for life

WayneChristie
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
when I bought my tent at Crappy Tire they told us that if I set it up at home and didnt like it, I could return it for a refund, if I set it up on the ice and didnt like it I could return it for a store credit. at least they were upfront about it. When I returned my FishhCrappyInn to Costco they barely looked at the box, could have had anything in it they didnt care, just refunded the money.

Gus
01-14-2011, 07:55 PM
i dont shop walmart either....but people tell me its no questions asked money back policy or exchange
some one ever tryed taking a auger back at the end of the year cuz its dull?.....you'd have a brand new one for next season for life

My wife is one of those people that thinks if you buy something it should last for ever... She bought a light up teddy bear for for one of our kids from walmart, a year later it stopped working. She took it back to walmart with no receipt or box and they still gave her a new one. I've got a feeling they would take the auger back !:)

chubbdarter
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
My wife is one of those people that thinks if you buy something it should last for ever... She bought a light up teddy bear for for one of our kids from walmart, a year later it stopped working. She took it back to walmart with no receipt or box and they still gave her a new one. I've got a feeling they would take the auger back !:)

a lady at the grocery store told me she takes back any shoes her kids wear out and they replace them with a smile.

GeoTrekr
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
when I bought my tent at Crappy Tire they told us that if I set it up at home and didnt like it, I could return it for a refund, if I set it up on the ice and didnt like it I could return it for a store credit. at least they were upfront about it. When I returned my FishhCrappyInn to Costco they barely looked at the box, could have had anything in it they didnt care, just refunded the money.

Forgive my ignorance, as I have never gone ice fishing, but how can they tell if you've opened it up on the ice or set it up in the comfort of your own home? Does a tent get pretty beaten up/stained/etc. on the ice? :confused:

WayneChristie
01-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Forgive my ignorance, as I have never gone ice fishing, but how can they tell if you've opened it up on the ice or set it up in the comfort of your own home? Does a tent get pretty beaten up/stained/etc. on the ice? :confused:

I am thinking they would look at it and see its dirty or wet? Im not sure if they could tell or not if you cleaned it up. Probaby not, or maybe they just dont want you to use it a few times and return it. I used it and set it up at home afterwards to dry it out, and you couldnt tell it had ever been on the ice.

2big4u
01-14-2011, 11:47 PM

I have a friend shinbone a new camera from Costco for every weekend fishing trip we do, at the end of the weekend he returns the camera for a full refund, never and an eye batted over it, just removes his memory card and gets a new camera for trip.

kargor
01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I am a Crappy Tire guy , have never had an issue with rtu's , a bit of a different issue , I went on Cabela's website and they had their Cabela Ice Shanty 6 x 6 tent on sale , read all the reviews and it sounded like a good deal , but when I went thru the purchase process on line it was restricted for shipping to Canada so could not buy . I sent an email to found out why but no reply , I even tried getting it shipped to a store ( Wpg has the only Cabela's store in Canada ) but that was not an option either .

Just another reason to stick with Crappy Tire